Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-16-2016, 06:41 AM   #16
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
About Pocketbook, maybe it could be important that remember that the developers are in Ukraine ... The present situation in Ukraine could be a part of the problem to finalize the CAD reader. Maybe ... If someone know something else, I'll be interested to read him.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:51 AM   #17
xtech
Zealot
xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony DPT-RP1, Ipad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Is it legal to collect money by Indiegogo or Kickstarter for already existing product in mass production? It would be possible for everyone to take some promo commercials, pictures and to write some tempting texts, present this product by Indiegogo/Kickstarter as new one and afterwards just to buy goods with wholesaler conditions. I don't think it is the goal of those crowdfunding projects...
I am not a lawyer, but it seems that if there is an agreement with the Onyx about rebranding, then it is perhaps legal to collect money for a pre-order in case, Icarus actually collects those funds for the preorder, and then will send out the ordered goods.

However, Icarus does not state that this is the funds for the pre-order, it says:

"Our final engineering sample is ready (see pics/video) and we are going to ramp up the mass production phase..... We are looking for $25K to finalize the mass production ramp-up... we have developed and sold open Android based e-readers for the past 2 years and have extensive experience in this field....The 13.3" e-reader is in its last stage of development."

And without all other statements about Onyx, this does make a general impressions like Icarus is essentially involved in the developing and manufacturing process.

There are no direct statements about the use of those funds, ron about the degree of Icarus's involvement into the developing and manufacturing process.

So, I myself wonder, if according to the current laws in Indiegogo-based country, changing of name of Onyx to Icarus, asking Onyx to manufacture the new batch with the new name can be considered as the exact direct meaning of those phrases, quoted above.

The ultimate point is whether the Onyx or/and customers may have suffered or will suffer, as to their reputation or expenditures, because of such an attitude.

Last edited by xtech; 05-16-2016 at 02:36 PM.
xtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2016, 07:09 PM   #18
allochi
Connoisseur
allochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Aura
Here are some videos I found of someone trying out Onyx Max page turn speed, quite impressive, I hope this useful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2MUIfUhnVg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9U5oTKgjf0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clWJYrZIn2s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vnv9wPCTerE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clWJYrZIn2s

my only concern about ordering the Max is weight and balance and the effect of that on one hand long reading session, anyone who owns the Max could share their experience?

Thanks!
allochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:44 PM   #19
Willy Tärk
Willy Tärk began at the beginning.

Device: none
allochi, there is also another video, which will fit very good to these videos, which you did recommend:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glXRWQJOclI

The weight should be less then the weight of a m96!

And for the balance part... Maybe you can test this if you take a block of A4-paper sheets... It should have nearly the same width and height. I dont think that there is so much difference if someone is reading from a block of A4 paper or from this E-Reader.
However I dont have first hand experiences with this - it's just a suggestion.
Willy Tärk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:08 AM   #20
allochi
Connoisseur
allochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animals

Thanks Willy, I find this useful, I have the Max in my cart for pre-order, I just can't make up my mind because of the weight, I still think my M96 is heavy, I hold my reader with one hand.

By the way, yesterday I started reading a new book and I remembered your question, specially that the PDF book font is a little thin and light coloured, after few adjustment to the contrast and boldness to the font - which Onyx reader easily allows you to play with - I was able reach a really wonderful result, If you still in doubt I can upload a youtube showing that.

One really cool feature that the software allows, is the ability to divide the page into section, originally intended for multi-column pages, but I find that when I use this it get's me better results on zooming and scrolling/page turn.

Anyway, thanks again for the link!
Advert
Old 05-19-2016, 10:07 AM   #21
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Allochi,

Maybe you missed this, take a look at 20:50 minutes, after you have the comparison with some paper book. For me, there is no problem with the weight. An advantage of the Boox Max, the screen is not a glass :-)

Quote:
Here is a video of my samples Onyx Boox Max, N96C (Plus) and N96ML (Plus). I didn't edit it and also didn't comment it yet.. Just wanted to give you first impression of them. During tests I have rooted my sample and installed some third party apps. In the clip you can see how Max handles PDF, DjVU, EPUB, CBZ files, TTS Acapella as well as how Google Play, DropBox, Kindle app, Browser work. I tried to install Mendeley, however Mendeley will be supported from Android 4.1 and currently does not work on my Max (on my sample it has got 4.0.4)

Last edited by Randy11; 05-20-2016 at 03:39 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:35 AM   #22
bobodude
Connoisseur
bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BooX M96
e-reader as monitor

Hi,

i have got a couple of ereaders, and one thing i have been wanting to do for a few years now , it to be able to use them as a secondary computer monitor

unfortunately, i have never had great results

i have been looking at the onyx boox max, as a solution, and also at the 2nd generation of dasung monitors

has anyone here have any experience using the onyx max as a second monitor, maybe with a video ?

or with the dasung 2nd gen ?

or anyone had any luck with another ereader ?

thanks !!!
bobodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 01:10 PM   #23
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
You should say what you mean by "never had great results". Then people could judge if anything newer would work better for you.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 01:22 PM   #24
bobodude
Connoisseur
bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
You should say what you mean by "never had great results". Then people could judge if anything newer would work better for you.

sorry,

so I tried using a kindle dx, and onyx boox's M96 and i86, with wifi and also usb tethering (with laptop and raspberry pi, and erader as monitor)

and it is always quite laggy, the mouse jumps a lot, and scrolling websites is also laggy

when i move things around, there a lot of artifacts etc ...

so i wanted to know if the new Onyx boox max is better at this ?
(i don't know if anyone has tested this yet, it is a new reader, and i haven't seen any vids showing this specifically)

or another ereader ? (dasung, or other ...)

Last edited by bobodude; 05-21-2016 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:36 PM   #25
EmilThelonius
Enthusiast
EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.

Device: Sony DPT-RP1 and Pocketbook Touch Lux 2 and Basic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobodude View Post
Hi,

i have got a couple of ereaders, and one thing i have been wanting to do for a few years now , it to be able to use them as a secondary computer monitor

unfortunately, i have never had great results

i have been looking at the onyx boox max, as a solution, and also at the 2nd generation of dasung monitors

has anyone here have any experience using the onyx max as a second monitor, maybe with a video ?

or with the dasung 2nd gen ?

or anyone had any luck with another ereader ?

thanks !!!
There is actually a video I found today, but its a chinese homepage, and I have no Idea which program he is using for the connection. It seems that the delay is not only the eink, but software wise.. but I am not sure. Anyways, I think it is a great possibility of using the Boox Max. Still, even though I would love to have an eink reader that big, it is still to expensive for me. I would love to have just the reader, striped down (no Bluetooth, no Audio etc.) with enough power to read my academic papers, f.e. large PDFs. I think it is a niche product and the people, who would love to use it at work do not need audio etc., but that is of course just my opinion, and I bet everyone has different thoughts on that point – and I actually don't know if it would make the reader considerably cheaper. If it drops to 500 euro I am definitely in.

Here is the Video: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTU3Nj...4-2.1-1-1-13-0
EmilThelonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 01:47 PM   #26
bobodude
Connoisseur

Hi, thanks for the video, great find !!!

the performance seems a bit better than on the i86, but not by much,

that is not to criticize the max, which looks amazing, but i am really looking for this feature (2nd monitor), and can't justify buying another e-reader (at the moment), if not for that ...

Last edited by bobodude; 05-21-2016 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:44 PM   #27
machinogodzilla
Addict
machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PBook 902† Kindle† Nook SimpleTouch† Onyx M92† i86† M96 N96ML NotePro
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinogodzilla View Post
any plans for the post Max future yet?
To answer my own question it looks like Booxtor has already mentioned Max Mk II in another thread:

Quote:
According to my most recent information, the second generation of Max (i.MX7, dual touch and HD screen) will not be available before 2017, since some parts are not available for mass production by suppliers like PVI or Freescale yet.
There is also a new 6-incher coming soon apparently.

Meanwhile Icarus seems to have quietly stopped their campaign, it says "coming soon" now. On the other hand Good e-Reader did really well.
machinogodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:23 PM   #28
allochi
Connoisseur

You guys may want to watch this video on Onyx Max, it's in Chinese, but it shows something amazing at min. 13:20 it plays video! this is impressive (for an eink device)

http://v.qq.com/boke/page/s/0/4/s0191xv74t4.html
Old 05-23-2016, 03:59 AM   #29
Randy11
Wizard

Hi,
Thanks for the link. Very impressive !
May be it's wrong, but it seems that many persons are playing with the Boox Max, more than the other model.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:16 PM   #30
machinogodzilla
Addict
machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PBook 902† Kindle† Nook SimpleTouch† Onyx M92† i86† M96 N96ML NotePro
That looks very good indeed. I tried video playback on my M96 and the results were not nearly as good. I don't understand how come he gets all these shades of grey in the performance (A2) mode?

machinogodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
goodreader, icarus, onyx, pocketbook, sony