Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #31
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Why should a corporation that made its pile o' money FROM the public domain be exempt from contributing TO the public domain?
Because laws can be changed and there's nothing stopping anyone else from using the same public domain works to create their own versions for retail sale.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:27 PM   #32
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Because laws can be changed and there's nothing stopping anyone else from using the same public domain works to create their own versions for retail sale.

That doesn't actually answer my question.

Why is Mickey 'special'? Why should Disney have exclusive rights to him forever and ever, when the same principles applied to the works of the Brothers Grimm or Charles Perrault or Shakespeare would mean that most of Disney's movies would not even exist?

Yes, others are free to use Hamlet or Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty, but no one will ever be allowed to use Mickey because some corporation can buy a few Senators.

What I don't understand is why you think that's A-OK.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #33
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Why is Mickey 'special'? Why should Disney have exclusive rights to him forever and ever, when the same principles applied to the works of the Brothers Grimm or Charles Perrault or Shakespeare would mean that most of Disney's movies would not even exist?
Mickey isn't any more special than any other trademarked character created between 1923 and 1977.

Under the US Constitution, copyright is for a limited period. The US Congress, in 1998, saw fit to set the limited period, for works released prior to 1978, at 95 years. Politically, I think it would be impossible for this to be further extended. Others disagree. In ten years, we'll find out who is right.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:20 AM   #34
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:

Yes, others are free to use Hamlet or Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty, but no one will ever be allowed to use Mickey because some corporation can buy a few Senators.
This is where the discussion would veer to how a "pay to play" political system like we have in Texas really works, and who it benefits and doesn't benefit.

But that's a discussion for another board which I don't feel much like opting into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Under the US Constitution, copyright is for a limited period. The US Congress, in 1998, saw fit to set the limited period, for works released prior to 1978, at 95 years. Politically, I think it would be impossible for this to be further extended. Others disagree. In ten years, we'll find out who is right.
We'll have to see how the midterm election goes and who gets a majority.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #35
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
as I recall, Peter Pan got special consideration because the beneficiary of the copyright is some charity (a children's hospital, I vaguely recall). Mickey only benefits the Disney corporation, and therefore shouldn't get special treatment.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
as I recall, Peter Pan got special consideration because the beneficiary of the copyright is some charity (a children's hospital, I vaguely recall).
Correct - the Great Ormand Street Children's Hospital in London. J.M. Barrie left the hospital all the benefits from "Peter Pan" in his will, and a special Act of Parliament granted perpetual UK copyright to this one specific book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #37
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
DPLA's launch event postponed, but site still going active

The DPLA's big launch event at the Boston Public Library has been postponed because of the terrorist attack earlier this week.

Quote:
The tragedy took place right in front of the Boston Public Library, where we planned to have our gala launch on Thursday. I have been in touch with Amy Ryan, the President of the BPL, and I extended our sympathies to the BPL staff and their loved ones.

We have all been looking forward to this week’s festivities, to celebrate how thousands of people and institutions have come together to build the DPLA, to thank our incredibly generous contributors and funders, and to mark the DPLA’s transition from vision to reality.

Unfortunately, I no longer think it is possible to hold those events this week. The area around the BPL has been closed off, perhaps for several days, and it is not easy to relocate such a large-scale meeting. But logistics are the least of my concerns. People need time to mourn and to get resettled. Amy’s staff, like so many other honorable public servants in Boston, have to be there for the surrounding community first.
News story at:
http://dp.la/get-involved/events/launch/

However, the DPLA web site is still scheduled to go active at Noon EST today, i.e., in about 45 minutes!
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #38
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaser View Post
However, the DPLA web site is still scheduled to go active at Noon EST today, i.e., in about 45 minutes!
...uh, oh

Quote:
The page you are looking for is temporarily unavailable.
Please try again later.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #39
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
Quote:
That doesn't actually answer my question.

What I don't understand is why you think that's A-OK.
Only a wild guess, but I assume that tubemonkey is ok with it because that silly mouse character is a disgrace for all murine creatures and too ridiculous to be considered worthy of affecting general U.S. copyright law ... I tend to agree ...

But Donald rules.
pynch is offline   Reply With Quote