Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-09-2012, 12:05 AM   #1
ArmadilloPilot
Enthusiast
ArmadilloPilot began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Verse Pro
Compare PRS-T1/T2 vs PRS-650

Today I started thinking about buying a T!/T2. My 650 still provides good service but I wanted to know more about what's out there and what improvements are in the newer models. Actually, I thought I had lost the 650 and was being forced to find a replacement. Then the finder turned it in to the office. Good luck day for me

Anyway, I was a bit shocked to find that I paid about $100 more for the the 650 and can't find much advantage in the literature about the T series.

Did I pay more for the 650 because technology was still in development and now it's just cheaper? Is the T series a better investment?

Maybe someone can point me to a comparison review. Or maybe you can just give me your "2bits" on the difference in dollars and features.
ArmadilloPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:41 AM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Both are good.
I like the ability to change the font and crop pages on the T1 which I am assuming is the same on the T2

The x50 are easier to navigate and far less prone to software failures such as the application having to close and more responsive touchscreen in my experience.

I would not replace a 650 with a T1/T2 (my T1 was a Christmas gift) unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket but then again a new toy is always nice.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmadilloPilot View Post
\Did I pay more for the 650 because technology was still in development and now it's just cheaper?
I would say so. Better technology, more competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmadilloPilot View Post
\ Is the T series a better investment?
I guess it depends on what you mean by "investment".

If you mean will it keep it's worth or be worth more on resale in the future? I can't see any way it will keep it's monetary value. Electronics are like that, obsolete as soon as you walk out the store door. And eventually the battery will need to be replaced. So you'll need to spend money on that if you want to keep it.

If you mean will it be worth it as a better experience for you, that'll depend on what you want in a reader. I've had Sony's for years, and have enjoyed them all, but really like the T2. Much better than the T1? No, just a bit better. It's not really a step up.

You really won't be able to tell until you hold a T series and test it out for yourself. If you're happy with what you have, I'd look into how to replace the batter when you need to and keep enjoying it.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I have a 650 (and a 350) and am very happy. I looked at the T-1s when they came out, and then the T-2s. I've installed PRS+ firmware on my 650/350, so have the ability to change fonts and many more customization options on it. The only thing I can see that the T-1/2s have that my 650 doesn't is wi-fi connectivity. And really it's not something I feel the need for--I'm perfectly happy transferring books to my readers through Calibre. If you're happy with your 650, I would suggest just hanging on to that. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
I have a 650 (and a 350) and am very happy. I looked at the T-1s when they came out, and then the T-2s. I've installed PRS+ firmware on my 650/350, so have the ability to change fonts and many more customization options on it. The only thing I can see that the T-1/2s have that my 650 doesn't is wi-fi connectivity. And really it's not something I feel the need for--I'm perfectly happy transferring books to my readers through Calibre. If you're happy with your 650, I would suggest just hanging on to that. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

dordale
This is my opinion as well. There's just nothing in the T1/T2 that would make me give up my 650. As far as the newness factor of toys goes, we'll see if I fail my saving throw against shiny down the road...
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #6
Fif23
Connoisseur
Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:

dordale
How can you change fonts n PRS+ ? Didn't see the option on the first post of that thread.
Is that easy ?
Fif23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #7
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Sony e-reader is an investment what a crazy thought. Don't open the box and keep it in dark dry place for 20 years then you can find out how your investment worked out.

Did you fall for baseball card collecting investment racket?
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:15 PM   #8
azlkk
azlkk began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, iPad
I went from a PRS-650 to a PRS-T2 a month ago and have been glad that I did.

-Less weight.
-Better cover with light, feels better in hand.
-Noticeably better contrast
-Wifi. I didn't expect to use it as much as I do for new books.
-User interface is better. Especially for checking out library books.
azlkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:17 AM   #9
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fif23 View Post
How can you change fonts n PRS+ ? Didn't see the option on the first post of that thread.
Is that easy ?
Fif23--Here's a link to a good tutorial for changing fonts on the Sony x50 models. Takes a few steps to load the fonts and css files on the reader, but once that's done it's easy to switch between them.

http://www.anamardoll.com/2011/06/er...tion-with.html

I have found a few epub files with embedded fonts/coding that for whatever reason don't want to change their fonts. Although many folks frown on this, what works for me on these files is converting them to mobi and then back to epub. That removes all the imbedded font information and the newly converted epubs will use the fonts I want. I realize that this probably creates pretty ugly coding within the epubs, but they look fine on my reader, and really that's all I care about.

dordale

Last edited by dordale; 10-10-2012 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Edited to add link
Old 10-10-2012, 09:05 AM   #10
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
The battery on my PRS-650 died a week before I was due to go on hoiday

I was pleasantly surprised by the price of the T2, so I took the plunge, rather than go on holiday without my reader and mess about with the battery later. I certainly wouldn't have upgraded if my 650 hadn't died, but now I'm glad it did!

First big difference is the weight - T2's plastic case vs 650's metal, so it is swings and roundabouts. You lose the benefit of the little magnets that kept the front cover closed (on the lighted cover, at least), and I'm slightly more nervous about dropping it, even though the real risk is screen damange in either case.

The second thing I noticed was the screen contrast. This does seem to vary from person to person, but my T2 certainly has better contrast than my 650 did (and I have compared them side by side to confirm that).

But the thing that really surprised me was the improved speed of page turns and screen updates generally. With my old 505 I used to start turning the page about three-quarters of the way down it; the 650 improved that significantly, but the interruption to reading caused by the T2's page turns are comparable to the time it takes me to turn paper pages (OK, so maybe I'm not the world's fastest paper handler, but you get my drift).

Another difference is the method used for attaching covers. The old "spine pins" are gone, and the T2 clips into its cover.

Finally, Sony have (finally!) got round to using the cover of the book you're reading as the display when the reader's in sleep mode. This pleases me inordinately, but may be of no significance whatsoever to others!

As I said, I wouldn't have upgraded if my 650 hadn't died, but after a month using the T2, I've got to confess I'm quite glad it did! Would I upgrade from a 650 knowing what I do now? It's a very close call and the honest answer is I don't know - if I had the price of the reader (and a new cover) burning a hole in my pocket (or had the money to buy myself a present, or whatever), then yes definitely; otherwise, I'd probably be able to find a more deserving cause for my money (mortgage, food, etc).

Last edited by mediax; 10-10-2012 at 09:07 AM.
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:27 PM   #11
Fif23
Connoisseur
Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Fif23--Here's a link to a good tutorial for changing fonts on the Sony x50 models. Takes a few steps to load the fonts and css files on the reader, but once that's done it's easy to switch between them.

I have found a few epub files with embedded fonts/coding that for whatever reason don't want to change their fonts. Although many folks frown on this, what works for me on these files is converting them to mobi and then back to epub. That removes all the imbedded font information and the newly converted epubs will use the fonts I want. I realize that this probably creates pretty ugly coding within the epubs, but they look fine on my reader, and really that's all I care about.

dordale
Thanks but I didn't see the link !
If it's on here I'll just do a search
Old 10-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #12
dordale
Wizard

Fif23--

Oops sorry about that!! I was pretty tired when I posted last night--

Here's the link to the website for using custom fonts in ePubs with PRS+

I'll also edit my original post to include the link.

dordale
Old 10-10-2012, 09:14 PM   #13
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
The screen (contrast) has gotten better x50-->T1-->T2. If you compare a 650 to a T2, the difference is quite noticeable.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:27 PM   #14
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
I'm another x50 fan turned T1/T2 convert.

I think two key factors here are PRS+ and plastic v metal casing. If you're wedded to the customization options offered by PRS+ and think a plastic case looks/feels cheap, you probably won't be happy with the T1/T2.

But if you don't mind losing some of the customization options you get with PRS+ and are fine with plastic (I actually prefer the matte black T2 case to the x50s), then the T1/T2 have a lot going for them. I'm particularly fond of the T2's sharp white display and Evernote functionality, and I absolutely love that I can do everything wirelessly, from downloading books to updating firmware. I didn't realize how nice it is not to have to tether to a computer until I no longer had to do it anymore.
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:12 AM   #15
Fif23
Connoisseur

Quote:
Fif23--

Oops sorry about that!! I was pretty tired when I posted last night--

Here's the link to the website for using custom fonts in ePubs with PRS+

I'll also edit my original post to include the link.

dordale

Thanks ! Will it also work for PDF files ? (Reflow)