Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-21-2012, 06:31 AM   #1
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Kindle and Calibre

Hello to al the lovely people here,
I could realy use some advise.
I just received my very first Kindle. Because I used Sony before, I have a large collection of epubs. I will use my Sony on the side untill Amazon comes to the Netherlands and also has Dutch kindle-books from Dutch writers.
When I only had my Sony, I used Calibre to strip the DRM. Afterwards, I would remove the book from Calibre again and organised my de-drm-ed collection with good old Windows-explorer. I just drag and dropped the books into my Sony.
Anyways, I just put my entire collection in Calibre and converted everything into Mobi's. But what's next? Stripping the drm and converting formats is about everything I know of Calibre. I might want to organize my books with Calibre from now on though. But how does that work? Especially since every book will be in two formats. Can I sync my Kindle 4 2012 model with Calibre? What happens with the epubs when I do that?
I might have lots more questios, but let's just start with this. Please bare with me and thanks for the help
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:32 AM   #2
loximuthal
Connoisseur
loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: NST, Kindle Fire, iPad2
If you have not found it yet, the Kindle Collections <https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118635> plugin can be helpful for organizing your books on the Kindle. As far as sending books to the Kindle goes, calibre knows enough to send the correct format to the device.

I'll leave the syncing question to others, as I have not tried to do that. My personal preference is to keep a relatively small selection of books on my Kindle.
loximuthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
nfetterly
nfetterly began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I just joined today, but I have ~1800 books on my Kindle and about 5500 in Calibre. When I attach the Kindle to computer with Calibre running it scans and notes which books are on the Kindle. Easy to select & "send to device".

I get alot of epubs, convert to Mobi and they load onto the Kindle. My wife's ereader uses epubs and it loads those onto that one. Fantastic program, I'll be making a donation this weekend.

Incidentally 1800 books on the Kindle has it ~3/4 full, but it really is too many (and not necessary with having Calibre) - reading books there is no issue but moving around on the Kindle seems pretty slow.

Fortunately I have a 23 year old daughter that steered me to Calibre.
nfetterly is offline   Reply With Quote