Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-09-2011, 09:33 PM   #46
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen Barlow View Post
There are a number of excellent questions on this board. We would like to respond to them. Given the duplication in the questions across a number of similar boards, we would encourage you to navigate to our Facebook page where we have responded to these and a number of other questions that you may be interested in.

https://www.facebook.com/media/album...45410395552132
I have a question (sorry I have no Facebook account): can the background be made white or at least close to it? It seems you haven't made significant progress in this regard.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:33 PM   #47
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Pearl is definitely whiter than the original consumer eink display. its also a bit whiter than Vizplex
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #48
Bratzzo
Addict
Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
https://www.facebook.com/notes/e-ink...45410395552132

Does E Ink use micro ants(sic) in their technology?

- There has been a lot of discussion about E Ink technology and micro ants. We would like to clarify that the black and white particles are moved in the microcapsules through the use of an electric field. E Ink has not engineered genetically modified miniature ants to physically move the particles in the capsules. We would also like to thank Charbax for a great job and having a sense of humor.
Bratzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:31 PM   #49
Halo
Connoisseur
Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle DX 1st Gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen
That was a great and facinating video. Thanks for making it, Charbax. The eink guy really knows his stuff.

I liked the look of a 9.7" screen, but was drooling with desire when I saw the color eink screen. If I could get an ereader with a 9" color eink screen, I think my dreams will have come true!
Halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:37 PM   #50
anjirlly
Groupie
anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle on Android phone; PB360; Sony 950
Might this video reach a broader audience were the thread to be re-titled "How Eink Works and Where the Technology is Headed"? I would also suggest to the moderators that the video is significant enough to merit space on the home page.

I tend to avoid watching videos because the information payoff for time invested is usually too low (compared to skimming text). So even though the video appeared here on 9/4, I didn't see it until yesterday while visiting The eBook Reader blog, where a more revealing title piqued my interest ("20 Minute Interview with Vice President of E Ink Reveals Interesting Details").
anjirlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2012, 04:44 PM   #51
mac
Enthusiast
mac began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Question

Why RGB filter on triton? Maybe a CMY is better or not?
mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:41 PM   #52
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac View Post
Almost all digital images and documents store colours in RGB format, so using a different system to display the colours wouldn't gain you anything, and maybe lose you some colour space.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #53
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
RGB because it's an additive system - turn on all three RGB and you get white.

If, instead of a filter over the top of an eInk screen, each pixel had a vertical stacking of controllable colour elements, a CMY scheme would be the one to use, as then it would be a subtractive scheme (like printers inks).

It's not a question of convenience of the source formats, but just concerned with whether you're generating your colours by adding light together to make colours and eventually white or subtracting from white light to make the colours and eventually black.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:24 PM   #54
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
RGB because it's an additive system - turn on all three RGB and you get white.

If, instead of a filter over the top of an eInk screen, each pixel had a vertical stacking of controllable colour elements, a CMY scheme would be the one to use, as then it would be a subtractive scheme (like printers inks).

It's not a question of convenience of the source formats, but just concerned with whether you're generating your colours by adding light together to make colours and eventually white or subtracting from white light to make the colours and eventually black.
In a sense, the current filters are subtractive, in that they subtract everything but either red, green or blue from each coloured pixel. Of course, the light from separate filtered pixels is added back together again by the eye to produce other colours. Could not the current system be replaced by fixed filters that are cyan, magenta and yellow instead of red, green and blue? I think it could, but I guess it wouldn't really be CMYK because it doesn't overlap the CMY components to get proper subtraction. The mapping from RGB to the new system would also be different than the standard RGB->CMYK mapping. Anyway, this is what I had in mind when I said it didn't make sense to use it in place of RGB. You're right that it wouldn't really be CMYK anyway.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:41 AM   #55
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
ICould not the current system be replaced by fixed filters that are cyan, magenta and yellow instead of red, green and blue? I think it could, but I guess it wouldn't really be CMYK because it doesn't overlap the CMY components to get proper subtraction.
An interesting idea. I was going to dismiss it out of hand, but thinking about it further, it might result in a brighter display, with better contrast between black and white, and brighter colours.

The black would be the same - all pixels off.
The white should be brighter.
With RGBW filters, you get two pixels full red (RW), two pixels full green (GW) and two pixels full blue (BW). (The white pixel counts as full red, green and blue all at once.)
With CMYW filters, you get three pixels full red (MYW), three pixels full green (CYW) and three pixels full blue (CMW). That should be 50% brighter, and only 1/3 less bright than without the filters, instead of 1/2 as bright.

And, with appropriate driving software, it should still be able to display a good colour range, including Red, Green and Blue, as to get Red you'd just need to turn on Yellow and Magenta, for example. It would change the range of colours available - darker colours would be possible on a RGBW filter, I think, than on a CYMW filter. But only being able to have brighter colours when contrast is such a problem would be a bonus, I think.

I suppose eInk must have considered this? Or perhaps I'm overlooking something obvious that would stop it working.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #56
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
I suppose eInk must have considered this? Or perhaps I'm overlooking something obvious that would stop it working.
The fact that you would get the colors with filters, perhaps?

In the RGB system you need bandpass filters which are easy to make. But how do you suppose the filters for the CMY system should be?

Let's say that you want to get a cyan filter. You can't make a filter that transmits just blue and green. You can make a filter that transmits just cyan, or try to filter out red, but you run into a little problem, because of the wavelengths that the eye is sensitive to:
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #57
mac
Enthusiast

Acording with the figure above, the same problem is now with red color and RGB filter.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:24 AM   #58
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Acording with the figure above, the same problem is now with red color and RGB filter.
How is it the same problem?
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #59
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...DN/20100090930

Too late to patent it.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #60
mac
Enthusiast

Sorry Sil_liS, I want to say that in jetbook color the red colors are like brown colors, and cyan colors are blue-grey.

Tags
eink