Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 10-11-2011, 08:32 AM   #91
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
also now that exist a recovery via serial, any luck on playing towards a uncripling the recovery on this device, like a rom manager or something? I really do not feel confident in opening my device, also the bad device, bad sku, do you think will be resolved via serial boot?
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:00 AM   #92
toyz
toyz began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*dances a jig*

Okay, So...toyz, I'm guessing you didn't watch while the flashing procedure was attempting to commence. In mine, the log indicated that there was a version mismatch since I was trying to flash a device that currently identified itself as an edge with the edgejr image. So, I downloaded the version of the firmware (Dingo) for the Pocket Edge that has the version commented out, slapped that on the usb drive, and ran run boot_user. It took, and my device was then working.

Next, I updated to Ermine, and it took fine. So, sweet. *dances another jig*
Awesome! I was not not paying attention to the output much, it was late. I have to use the firmware without the check in update.sh... which is the exact reason we are in this situation in the first place but I'll use edgejr this time.

Now both my PE have an access hole in the side for serial console. Let the fun begin! I'll probably put together a wiki page too... using forums for reference is painful.
toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2011, 09:43 AM   #93
ktwombley
Connoisseur
ktwombley began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekknogenius View Post
Perhaps the update.sh can include a device check?
They do!

Trouble is, we keep disabling those checks.
ktwombley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:54 AM   #94
ktwombley
Connoisseur
ktwombley began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
Quote:
IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*dances a jig*

Okay, So...toyz, I'm guessing you didn't watch while the flashing procedure was attempting to commence. In mine, the log indicated that there was a version mismatch since I was trying to flash a device that currently identified itself as an edge with the edgejr image. So, I downloaded the version of the firmware (Dingo) for the Pocket Edge that has the version commented out, slapped that on the usb drive, and ran run boot_user. It took, and my device was then working.

Next, I updated to Ermine, and it took fine. So, sweet. *dances another jig*

For those interested, here's what's necessary:

Either
1) a motherboard with serial support or
2) a USB to Serial cable such as this one

And
3) a Serial cord that you don't mind chopping the end off. We used a $6 cable from vetco.
4) 3 bricks worth of header from sparkfun

To make the cable - chop the male end of the db9 cable (the one that doesn't fit into the usb to serial cable), and solder it to the header per the pin diagrams shown in the pics linked below, which for us was Red Brown Yellow - if you bought the same cables I did - otherwise you need a multimeter or some such to figure it out.

Then for Windows 7, download Termite. Get your keyboard ready, and as soon as you've hit the boot button, start typing keys until the uboot prompt comes up. Use the settings in Envos post, except the parity bit should be NONE instead of odd.

Then in Termite, type

It will flash with whatever thing you've plugged in, in my case to the usb, (don't try and use a microSD card with the case open). If you have previously accidentally flashed with the edge firmware instead of the edgejr firmware, you should download the firmware from darkgrue's thread FOR YOUR DEVICE and flash with that. I see no reason not to make the same change to an Ermine rom, I just haven't done it yet.

Pics of the process and cabling are available here on flickr.

Gotchas: I couldn't get the serial usb dongle to work on OSX Lion, which is why I ended up doing it in Windows. You might find differently.
I like to check monoprice for cables:

USB to serial:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage

Serial to chop up:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Cable to cut header off of:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...=2#description

(they don't seem to have a modular header block like sparkfun, but this cable is $0.77 and has a 3 pin header block on one end you can snip off and reuse)
ktwombley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:06 AM   #95
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

we do not need device check if the recovery procedure is in place.
boot recovery and select your desired rom. you bork, than just go into recovery...
Advert
Old 10-11-2011, 12:17 PM   #96
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
nikkie, toyz,

congrats on job well done!!!

Last edited by ptsenter; 10-11-2011 at 12:37 PM.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:48 PM   #97
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktwombley View Post
I like to check monoprice for cables:

USB to serial:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage

Serial to chop up:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Cable to cut header off of:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...=2#description

(they don't seem to have a modular header block like sparkfun, but this cable is $0.77 and has a 3 pin header block on one end you can snip off and reuse)
Can you post the cabling diagrams (wiring colors) for folks without multimeters for these cables? Thanks!
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:07 PM   #98
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
also now that exist a recovery via serial, any luck on playing towards a uncripling the recovery on this device, like a rom manager or something? I really do not feel confident in opening my device, also the bad device, bad sku, do you think will be resolved via serial boot?
vicinc, I think all we have available now is running a new flash with any package that uses update.zip. That's not really like a full rom switcher. I think that is still a ways away and will require careful reading of update.zip and probably looking through the sources to figure out all that is required for copying stuff and what goes where. I'm still not sure why there are quite so MANY partitions on this device. I don't know anything about other android devices, but I would guess that having quite this many partitions is not normal.

Opening the case is actually really easy, and you only have to do one side (the e-Ink side). You don't have to remove the motherboard. Just remove the footers over the screw holes (or peel them back) and unscrew the case. Then use your fingernail slowly around the edge to pop the cover off, and you're done. Making the cable is the only part of this process that is at all difficult, and you could simplify that more by using alligator clips if you don't want to solder things together.

Is this the only description of your device? Does your device show the inverted logo on your screen? If so, then this will definitely fix it. Otherwise, using the serial cable will at least let you (and us) know what is actually going wrong with your flashing process, or whatever else is wrong with your device. I highly recommend you do it.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:13 PM   #99
vicinc
Guru

my device is working fine on lcd only. I know that eink is not hardware faulty as i blanking out than reinitializing, also on hibernate showed hibernation screen after loading the framebuffers manually, so it is a software. my serial seems deleted with bad serial, bad sku.
I will dig for a serial cable, I have one in the loft for sure, also I have a desktop with serial port still running win7.
I will look on the net for some interface, in uk we only have maplin but do not think I will find them.
than if i follow the instruction I should be able to do the update.zip for pe even I have bad serial, bad sku?
Partitioning looks screwed on this device
Old 10-11-2011, 04:22 PM   #100
vicinc
Guru

do you think i can use those?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-PCS-Mini...item2567d4fbc6
Old 10-11-2011, 04:23 PM   #101
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Quote:
In the end it looks like the same result could have been accomplished without ever opening the case and just with the right (modified) version of the golden update?
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:40 PM   #102
toyz
toyz began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
I built my own cable from my junk pile. Soldered it after many uses. I had a db9 gender changer so these two parts did it for me: 9pin connector connected to a backplate, it normally plugged into a motherboard with th ribbon cable. Then a 4pin connector that connected motherboard sound to a cdrom drive. (I had to move one pin to center) Soldered them up... have to time to purchase things.

Also, I dremel tooled a hole in both of my PE just right for the 3 pin connector to fit through. I think this is a must if you want to fiddle.
toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:21 PM   #103
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Can you post the cabling diagrams (wiring colors) for folks without multimeters for these cables? Thanks!
I think most 9 pin serial cables follow the standard resistor colour code only shifted one place - it is rather difficult to assign zero to a physical cable.

Colour code:
black - 0 shifted -1
brown - 1 shifted - 2
red - 2 shifted - 3
orange - 3 shifted - 4
yellow - 4 shifted - 5
green - 5 shifted - 6
blue - 6 shifted - 7
purple - 7 shifted - 8
grey - 8 shifted - 9
white - 9 shifted - -

That is how the old cables were wired that we have and it is also how most, but not all*, of the cheap chinese cables we cut up are wired.

*some cables use only 8 wires, 1 to 8 and follow the ethernet 568B wiring colour code.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:30 PM   #104
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
There is no reason why not assuming you can get at the pins.

The only thing you have to take care with is to have a long enough flexible cable so you don't pull them off when you are doing something. In fact we use them here on a regular basis for testing equipment.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:06 PM   #105
vicinc
Guru

pictures of the hole please?