Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-15-2011, 02:06 AM   #1
Sunnybunny
Sunnybunny began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Is My Kobo a Lemon? Please Help!!!

I am hoping someone here may be able to provide some direction. I am not sure where to start but at this point my issues seem to be with syncing my reader to my computer. I can’t decide if my problems originate from my reader, the software or my computer.

I am running Windows 7 and the Kobo Desktop Application is v1.8 (Dec 12/10). I purchased the Kobo Wireless from my local Chapters store on Boxing Day. When I brought it home I noticed that it appeared as though the package had already been opened. I unpacked it anyways and proceeded with the setup as outlined on the instruction page in the package. When I connected the reader to my computer I was unable to download the Kobo software or obtain the 100 free books or user manual. There didn’t appear to be any of the required files on the reader.

I tried a factory reset several times but still no free books. No big deal, I thought, I can get them free if I want them anyhow. I do not have the user manual either.

I went ahead and downloaded the software onto my computer from the internet and then purchased a couple of books, synced them onto my reader and started reading. I finished those two books but have been having quite a few problems since. I have purchased several more books, both on the computer and through the wifi. I have not downloaded any content other than from Kobo.

I have been having all sorts of problems with the library uploads and syncing. There are several titles that will open on my desktop but do not load when I try to open them from My Library on the reader. It says it is going to load but then I get a blank screen and have to power off the unit in order to get back to the menu.

I have tried syncing and updating using the wireless several times in the hopes that this would resolve the problem. Now things have gotten worse. I keep losing my wireless settings, for example. I have now re-entered the wireless information so many times that I know my security key by heart!
A few days ago my reader showed a total of 27 books. I really only have 19 titles but several of them were showing up multiple times. Very few of them would actually load, however. Then I noticed that the books I have already finished were not there one day but were there another.

A few days ago I updated my library on my desktop, updated through the wireless, and then synced the reader to my computer. Now only 3 books appear on the reader – just titles starting with the letter H.

I gave up and decided to read a paper book until my stress levels came back down. Tonight I tried once again to sync the reader to my computer but now I can’t sync at all – it gets stuck after a few seconds and I have to hit ctrl+alt+del and close down the unresponsive program on my desktop.
So is it my reader or my computer???

At this point I am tempted to retry a factory reset or perhaps even exchange the unit. Will I lose my purchases if I do that? Can anyone make any suggestions as to why I am having these problems and what I can do to resolve them?

Sorry this is such a long post. Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read and respond.
Sunnybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:12 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
You won't lose your purchases. They continue to be available to you through the library section of the website. A factory reset is not an act of desperation, LOL. If that does not make everything right do not hesitate to return the reader. Always make sure that the date and time is accurate after a reset. All sorts of odd things happen when it is not.

Last edited by taming; 01-15-2011 at 07:32 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
MikeLC
Chapter/Indigo Employee
MikeLC began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo iPhone, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch Ereader
To me that looks like a defective Kobo, the first sign was the fact that you said it looked like it was open. Did you have to setup the time and date when you first powered on the Kobo?

You can exchange the defective Kobo at any Indigo/Chapters location simply bring the Box,Cord, and ask for an exchange for a defective Kobo just tell them the problems. If we don't have your particular color in stock you will have to choose a different color.

The books are saved to your account so you won't lose the books you'll just have to resync the books onto the new Kobo, you will lose the page bookmarks but at this point I think you'd be happy to get a device that doesn't act up.

Good luck and keep us informed
MikeLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
tbrod
tbrod began at the beginning.

Unhappy similar problem getting Kobo to be recognized by my computer

I'm also having a problem with my Kobo and my (laptop) computer: my computer isn't recognizing the Kobo e-Reader when I attach with the USB cord: there is no "sync" option showing on the desktop Kobo application; my ePUB doesn't automatically show Kobo on the bookshelf, etc. The only way I can add new books is wirelessly, and only directly from the Kobo bookstore. Unfortunately, at this point it feels like I'm pretty much on my own because the Kobo helpdesk is not responding to my multiple requests (to both Kobo and Chapters/Indigo) since mid-December for help in an effective way. Kobo says that they have been inundated with a higher volume of problems than they're staffed for and according to their Tier 1 team issues that can't be easily solved by them are taking a month or longer for Tier 2 help to respond. I've asked for at least a timeframe for when I could expect someone to get back to me but that request also has ultimately been ignored. If someone in this forum could provide help for this problem I'd greatly appreciate it. As an alternative, if someone has contact information for a group at Chapters or Kobo who would be able to help, that would be great too. I should note that I've already done a factory reset (multiple times), I've uninstalled and reinstalled Kobo and ePUB many times, and eventually, at the Tier 1 helpdesk suggestion, also exchanged the Kobo for a new one but the problem is continuing. We've tested both Kobos on both household laptops with the same results. Thanks for your help.
tbrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:08 PM   #5
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
I would suggest trying another USB cable. There have been several reports of the cables being bad that are supplied with the reader. It's a standard cable that you should have around the house.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2011, 02:09 PM   #6
tbrod

thanks, I've also tried that with no success...
Old 01-16-2011, 02:13 PM   #7
tbrod

sorry, I forgot to mention that when I plug in the Kobo and select "Manage Library" on the Kobo, my computer makes an "error" sound. It almost seems like a setting in my computer is preventing it from being seen. Also, the Kobo shows up as as Device; it doesn't show up in "my computer." I should also note that my iPod works fine and I've never had a problem with my computer rejecting that.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:33 PM   #8
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Yeah, it should show up in your computer as a disk with its own drive letter i.e. D:\Kobo
Old 01-16-2011, 02:40 PM   #9
tbrod

that's what I thought it should do, but it's not showing up like that. Very puzzling! Any other ideas for what I should try?
Old 01-16-2011, 03:15 PM   #10
ltr
Addict

Makes no sense to me.

You've exchanged the ereader device.

You've tried a new USB cable.

You've tried two computers.

When the device is plugged into the USB port, Windows USB driver sends a standard USB request to the Kobo device. It should respond with its name and device type (disk).

You should then see the next disk letter assigned to the Kobo and you should be able to examine its contents with Windows explorer.

I can't imagine USB drivers being bad on two computers.

I can't imagine your anti-virus software blocking the device, but maybe turn it off for a second and try it.

I just can't think what would be wrong.

ltr
Old 01-16-2011, 04:54 PM   #11
MikeLC
Chapter/Indigo Employee
MikeLC began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo iPhone, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch Ereader
I would assume it's some kind of software that was installed on the computer that is blocking the Kobo from accessing your computer, it's odd for two completely different devices to have the same issue especially with different cables and with the Manage Library being selected.

My advice would to be search up the Kobo reps that post here and send them your problem, as the tier 1 for the Kobo help support line is technically the same as the Kobo Tech support in the Chapters/Indigo locations.\

JCKobo, and SameerH are the two Kobo programmers/developers that post on the forums that can help you with this issue they'll probably need a detailed list of the OS the make as well as possibly any reoccuring software on both computers that could be locking the Kobos out.

Hope you get this solved
MikeLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:06 PM   #12
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
I'm sure you have already done this so dont take offence at the very basic advice. but I recently helped a freind through the same problem and their issue was as simple as not fully pressing the center of the d pad to select 'manage'
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:17 PM   #13
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
You may want to look at this earlier thread with related issues. In truth, there is no efficient way anyone can sus out the problems an individual user is having on a personal computer that has had its system modified by various programs, changes to the registry, etc.

I nearly tore my hair out with a problem I had on my machine at work. I finally decided to bring the thing home and do a reinstall of the OS. I am sure there was some minor change that could have been done to solve my problem, but I sure could not figure out (after months of trying all manner of things) figure out what it was.

Last edited by taming; 01-16-2011 at 08:48 PM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:29 PM   #14
tbrod

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies. I'll try connecting with the Kobo gurus that are mentioned. thanks again.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:08 PM   #15
jennslot
jennslot began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
totally new here, and phoned the Kobo help desk on Sun told me they would get back withing 48 now its 4days, so I thought I would try this form.

I have a Win Vista PC and just bought my kobo touch on Sun, all is well until I connect the PC and Kobo and my PC recognized the Kobo it then takes me thru the setup of the Account, when I select 'I already have a kobo account' I keep getting the same message 'OPS try it again'.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled via kobobooks, via kobosetup, even via bitcomet, but I keep getting the same message. But it does recognize if I enter a wrong password it gives me a different message.

I am going on vacation and would like to take my kobo with me.
Any help would be sooo appreciated.
jennslot is offline   Reply With Quote