Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-05-2010, 07:21 PM   #46
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
Kovid -- Did you see my note regarding the iPad problem? Any fix??
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:32 PM   #47
Snorkledorf
Blue. Not sad...just blue
Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ridibooks Paper Pro
I'm seeing the same symptoms as Neil too. (On OS X 10.6.3)

The book gets sent to the iPad, but Calibre then sits there trying to send metadata to the device forever (like 10 minutes, before I gave up). It won't let me cancel the job, but I can quit Calibre and all is well on the iPad, but in Calibre the "On Device" and "In Library" columns never get updated.
Snorkledorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:38 PM   #48
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
Hi -- Just tried again with the iPad and same problem but a little more information. First the book itself transfers. Then it immediately put up two tasks to send metadata. The first one (with a gear icon) never ends and says working. Then afyet about 30 seconds the second send metadata task crashes and gives this dialog dump:

ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

Oooops, no dump. Tried again and the copy command says it has copied but nothing to paste but above. Tried manual control-c still will not copy from that dialog. Sorry, hope you can figure it out.

Oh, also books I have transferred to the iPad are not seen by Calibre afterwards as being on the iPad even though they are and also are in iTunes.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:42 PM   #49
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Neil, Snorkledorf: revised iPad drivers submitted to Kovid, will be in next release, hopefully resolving your issues.

It would help me if you would use this thread to discuss issues with the iPad driver in future postings.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:45 PM   #50
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I downloaded and installed 7.0 yesterday. Didn't notice much beyond cosmetic differences. Then I read the blurb on the changes. Whoa! I likes it! I especially LOVE the user defined columns. I'm going to have a field day with that one.

One thing I noticed in the video (I only saw part of it; it stalled a few minutes in) was the custom column Kovid created was for books that were read and used the yes/no feature. I had been using the ratings column for that but I used 1 star for unread and no star for read since most of my books will have been read before I put them into calibre. So, since the system worked so well, when I made my own column (before I saw the video), I used the star system (I found it easier to read; a single star setting all by its lonesome sticks right out) and called the column Unread. Then I noticed in this thread people were also creating Read as opposed to Unread. Just a curious observation.

I like the splash screen. I even requested something like that a few days ago so I could tell if calibre had responded to my trying to open it. Funny thing is, calibre opens so fast now, I barely get to see it (this is a good thing, btw). Eventually, my book collection will grow enough to make the splash screen very desireable.

Thanks to those responsible for 7.0. Keep up the good work.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:08 PM   #51
riemann42
Zealot
riemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enough

Device: eSlick,nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I made my own column (before I saw the video), I used the star system (I found it easier to read; a single star setting all by its lonesome sticks right out) and called the column Unread. Then I noticed in this thread people were also creating Read as opposed to Unread. Just a curious observation.
I like your system! The reason, for me, I like the Read: Yes/No feature is that I have three types of books:

* Read
* Unread, and someday I will
* Unread, and I likely never will (lame free books I should delete, but somehow never do).

The Yes / No / Undefined let's me do that.
riemann42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:11 PM   #52
btobw
btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle 2 & 3
Thanks to everyone involved for a great update! I have a couple of questions:

1. I want to record when I finish reading a book, so I created a user-defined column called 'Read' which is a date type using the default format. Once I have entered a date in the column, is there any way of deleting it?

For built-in date fields, this hasn't come up because there is always a date of some sort. But, for a "Date read" column, I would like to be able to delete dates entered in error.

2. Is it possible to search for books with an undefined read date? I've tried true/false and < without success.

Thanks in advance.
btobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:51 AM   #53
riemann42
Zealot
riemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enough

Device: eSlick,nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by btobw View Post

1. I want to record when I finish reading a book, so I created a user-defined column called 'Read' which is a date type using the default format. Once I have entered a date in the column, is there any way of deleting it?

For built-in date fields, this hasn't come up because there is always a date of some sort. But, for a "Date read" column, I would like to be able to delete dates entered in error.

2. Is it possible to search for books with an undefined read date? I've tried true/false and < without success.

Thanks in advance.
Excellent questions! I think both features are not available yet and would be a great addition. Both should be fairly straightforward to implement.
riemann42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:32 AM   #54
jonnybraga
jonnybraga began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Thanx for the fix, kovidgoyal.

It works like a charm!!!
jonnybraga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:37 AM   #55
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riemann42 View Post
I like your system! The reason, for me, I like the Read: Yes/No feature is that I have three types of books:

* Read
* Unread, and someday I will
* Unread, and I likely never will (lame free books I should delete, but somehow never do).

The Yes / No / Undefined let's me do that.
My "Star System" (can I patent that? ) could do that. You could use something like no stars for read, 1 star for unread and someday will, and two stars for unread and ain't gonna happen.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:45 AM   #56
crangirl
Connoisseur
crangirl doesn't littercrangirl doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360
Do the people who use Ubuntu (and Calibre) also update?

Btw: all of a sudden, my main window of Calibre is too big.. and I can't get it any smaller, like you normally can with windows.. (resize).

Does anyone know what would be the problem (I'm using the latest version of Ubuntu).

Edit: I can resize it, but only vertically, not horizontally..

Last edited by crangirl; 06-06-2010 at 01:48 AM.
crangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:46 AM   #57
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Shiiiiiiiiiny!

Congrats on the milestone Kovid!

(BTW, where did you get those Harry Potter ebooks )
He might have done what I'm going to do; cut off the spines and scan them (yes, it's legal as long as one doesn't "share" the copy and either keeps or destroys the original; also, there's no DRM on physical books). Or they might have been demo entries. I won't mention the possibility of...never mind.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:51 AM   #58
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by crangirl View Post
Do the people who use Ubuntu (and Calibre) also update?

Btw: all of a sudden, my main window of Calibre is too big.. and I can't get it any smaller, like you normally can with windows.. (resize).

Does anyone know what would be the problem (I'm using the latest version of Ubuntu).

Edit: I can resize it, but only vertically, not horizontally..
Try grabbing the embossed corner to the left of the "J" in Jobs in the lower left hand corner. In Windows you have to have the book details opened to see the embossed corner to which I'm referring.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 06-06-2010 at 01:54 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:55 AM   #59
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by btobw View Post

Thanks in advance.
I built a column like you said in 1. and wasn't able to delete the date once in. I'm guessing you could write a ticket asking for that ability or use a text field and write in the dates. Not as convenient but those can be deleted.

You could also write a ticket asking for the ability to search for undefined date fields.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:13 AM   #60
crangirl
Connoisseur
crangirl doesn't littercrangirl doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Try grabbing the embossed corner to the left of the "J" in Jobs in the lower left hand corner. In Windows you have to have the book details opened to see the embossed corner to which I'm referring.
I've already tried this, but it only gets bigger.. not smaller?

I can get it to go 'up and down' .. but not smaller in width..

It freezes a lot also.. :/

Last edited by crangirl; 06-06-2010 at 02:32 AM.
crangirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
0.7.0, calibre, new release