Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-22-2010, 06:05 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
3G Usage so far?

How is your 3G usage going so far, iPad 3G owners?

I have received 2 friendly emails from AT&T-one at 17% and one at 9%.
I used 83% of the 250M in about a week and a half of use. I'm now at around 95% usage in 3 weeks. I'm not sure, but I may be more of an unlimited data kinda guy. While I do have wifi at home, I don't have it at work. And I take it everywhere I go, so...the 3G really comes in handy.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:11 PM   #2
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Yeah, definitely sounds like unlimited data is the way to go for your. Better to have peace of mind if you're using it on the go all the time, and at work without wifi etc.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:17 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Yeah, definitely sounds like unlimited data is the way to go for your. Better to have peace of mind if you're using it on the go all the time, and at work without wifi etc.
Yeah, I should have known based on my iPhone usage (which has gone down quite a bit). My wife regularly uses over 2 Gigs(!) a month on her iPhone-mostly streaming videos and sending photos everywhere. She's waiting for the camera-equipped version of an iPad before moving up
Old 05-22-2010, 07:07 PM   #4
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
If you haven't done so already, remember to turn off 3G while using regular wifi at home. My husband quickly found his would revert to 3G just about every time it woke from sleep, and he wasn't paying attention. Now he only turns 3G on when he leaves the house.

Definitely one "quirk" I'd like to see fixed!
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:18 PM   #5
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaP View Post
If you haven't done so already, remember to turn off 3G while using regular wifi at home. My husband quickly found his would revert to 3G just about every time it woke from sleep, and he wasn't paying attention. Now he only turns 3G on when he leaves the house.

Definitely one "quirk" I'd like to see fixed!
Thanks for the tip, Victoria! I wondered about how well they were switching...I just get such terrible (i.e. zero bars) reception at home that I figured it wouldn't register.

Hope they do fix that issue (along with those other wifi issues some people have reported).
Old 05-22-2010, 09:23 PM   #6
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Yeah, that's probably the wifi dropping out and the 3G connecting, so definitely probably wise to be sure the 3G is off when near a WiFi hot spot.

Definitely something they need to fix. The dropouts are my girlfriends biggest gripe with her iPad.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:56 PM   #7
Trubu
Zealot
Trubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, Nook, iPhone 3GS, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaP View Post
Me too - I got the 250MB plan and I've used only a fraction of it, but I only turn on 3G when I need it.
Trubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:38 AM   #8
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
I've used 993megs in 3 weeks,so guess i am not a good candidate for the $15plan.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:38 PM   #9
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
I've used 993megs in 3 weeks,so guess i am not a good candidate for the $15plan.
lol, you are an excellent candidate for the virtues of the unlimited plan-which apparently is actually unlimited ( ie no hidden cap)
Old 05-23-2010, 10:09 PM   #10
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
actually the "unlimited" plan has a 5G cap just like all of AT&T's "unlimited" plans..
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:40 PM   #11
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
actually the "unlimited" plan has a 5G cap just like all of AT&T's "unlimited" plans..
The iPad unlimited 3G is in fact unlimited.
http://mobile.gearlog.com/htmlsite/h..._unlimited.php

Some guy tested the iPad 3G and had no problems blowing past the 5 gig limit in...2 days .
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...-torture-test/
Old 05-23-2010, 10:45 PM   #12
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
hmm.. not what i had read, but glad to hear it. apple really got at&t to bend over backwards for this one. set up a 3g ipad with myfi software and share it out. my at&t data plan (using their sierra wireless usb modem) is "unlimited" and has a hard cut-off at 5g.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:39 PM   #13
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
I sitting at 180 MB used with 70MB left for the last 7 days of the month ($15 plan) which normally would be plenty but I am heading to my Mom's house for the next four days and no internet access! so will probably end up short and have to purchase my next months allotment early. But then that's one of the major reasons I bought it! Got my Netflix movies already picked out and will get to watch my favorite ABC programs in their final episodes.

Last edited by MsAstoria; 05-23-2010 at 11:44 PM.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:06 PM   #14
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
LOL, probably not
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote