Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 12:40 AM   #1
elimist
elimist began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Question free 3g hack?

i have heard in a lot of posts that the kindle's 3g modem is connected by usb and someone in europe replaced the kindle modem with a gsm modem. Does anyone know if it is possible to take out the kindle modem, connect it to a computer and get free 3g internet? I will probably try this soon but i want to know if anyone else has.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:42 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by elimist View Post
i have heard in a lot of posts that the kindle's 3g modem is connected by usb and someone in europe replaced the kindle modem with a gsm modem. Does anyone know if it is possible to take out the kindle modem, connect it to a computer and get free 3g internet? I will probably try this soon but i want to know if anyone else has.

This would be in violation of your Kindle license agreement that you agree to when you start using your kindle.

Also, I think you have it backward... the hack was to get Internet connection from a PC via the USB port without using the Kindle 3G radio.

(or maybe I just haven't heard about the hack you are talking about. However, the international Kindle already has a GSM phone in it.)

BOb
Old 03-21-2010, 12:51 AM   #3
elimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
This would be in violation of your Kindle license agreement that you agree to when you start using your kindle.

Also, I think you have it backward... the hack was to get Internet connection from a PC via the USB port without using the Kindle 3G radio.

(or maybe I just haven't heard about the hack you are talking about. However, the international Kindle already has a GSM phone in it.)

BOb
I am talking anout this hack :
http://ikindle3gs.eu/
This guy says :

Quote:
Step 6:

    Replace the CDMA/EVDO modem with the UMTS/HSPA modem. Put it in the same angle you have removed the EVDO modem. When it is fully in, push it down on the side with the screws/antenna. It will NOT snap or anything. You have to screw it thight. Now we have an UMTS/HSPA modem in. Note that the antenna connectors on the Dell 5530 are in reverse, make sure to connect the antenna to the "main" output.
He also says :

Quote:
Things I've learned:

   The EVDO modem might work in a PC, if someone finds drivers for it ( 1410:8000 USB VID:PID ) (The Kindle itself most obviously has Linux drivers for it. I don't use that OS on my laptop.). Though it would not make any sense for me, I live in Europe and right now have no plans to visit the States. ( "Built in free internet everywhere" would be really nice with one of those small netbooks. Most of them have an empty mini-PCIe port.)
Oh and does anyone know of a way to extract the drivers for this from the kindle?
Old 03-21-2010, 12:55 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So, are you wanting to use the Kindles free 3G service on your PC for purposes other than buying and d/l-ing Kindle books?

BOb
Old 03-21-2010, 01:14 AM   #5
elimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
So, are you wanting to use the Kindles free 3G service on your PC for purposes other than buying and d/l-ing Kindle books?

BOb

not necessarily. A real computer's cpu and browser is required for going to websites like http://www.scribd.com/ to download books. It is also much more convenient. I do however plan to use it for general browsing too. I thought of this because I am moving to an apartment soon and won't have internet for a week or two. I am starting to get desperate. I have already started looking for wifi hacking/piggyback programs.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:15 AM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

You want to browse on the Kindle or on your PC with the Kindle 3G?

Where are you located and what Kindle do you have?

BOb
Old 03-21-2010, 01:19 AM   #7
elimist

I want to use my kindle 2 (latest version) 's 3g modem as an internet connection for my computer. I am in the bay area in ca
Old 03-21-2010, 01:21 AM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elimist View Post
I want to use my kindle 2 (latest version) 's 3g modem as an internet connection for my computer. I am in the bay area in ca
Ok... that's what I thought. That is a violation of the Kindle terms of service and this forum isn't here to help you steal internet service from Amazon. I am closing this thread.

BOb

Closed Thread

Tags
free kindle 3g modem hack