Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-10-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
What eReader has the best management software?

The Sony software may work but it simply stinks.

Of 3 computers, Calibre only works on my work computer.

I get my books from MANY places so I would prefer not sending files to Amazon for converting to kindle-ing. I don't want an ereader that ties you down to only one format.

In fact, I buy very little DRM stuff. But my first reader couldn't work with any DRM files and I don't want to limit my myself to reading non-DRM books only.

What I want is a reader with software that lets you organize your books in whatever way suits you. Or as much so as is practical.

Please don't recomend Calibre. It may convert formats really well, but I don't want to reformat and reload Windows. Nor buy another computer just to run it.

Last edited by HorridRedDog; 01-10-2010 at 10:03 PM.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:13 PM   #2
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorridRedDog View Post
The Sony software may work but it simply stinks.

Of 3 computers, Calibre only works on my work computer.

I get my book from MANY places so I would prefer not sending files to Amazon for converting to kindle-ing. I don't want an ereader that ties you down to only one format.

In fact, I buy very little DRM stuff. But my first reader couldn't work with any DRM files and I don't want to limit my myself to reading non-DRM books only.

What I want is a reader with software that lets you organize your books in whatever way suits you. Or as much so as is practical.

Please don't recomend Calibre. It may convert formats really well, but I don't want to reformat and reload Windows. Nor buy another computer just to run it.
It might help if, rather then complaining about Windows, you indicated whcih OS you run. I find this link helps in getting the info I want:

http://www.lmgtfy.com

BTW, none of the reader supplied software seems worth a darn. You are gonna need something 3rd party...and to be brutally honest, Calibre might be over all the best and getting better every week.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:29 PM   #3
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
It might help if, rather then complaining about Windows, you indicated whcih OS you run. I find this link helps in getting the info I want:

http://www.lmgtfy.com

BTW, none of the reader supplied software seems worth a darn. You are gonna need something 3rd party...and to be brutally honest, Calibre might be over all the best and getting better every week.
I tried that, it brought me right back to this post
http://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&...ement+software

I think the OP was complaining about the Sony software and Calibre not running on 2 of his computers and not about windows. And I agree with your last sentence, from all that I have read (sorry, no hands on other than Sony/Calibre) it does not appear that there is anything all encompassing out there from the Reader maufacturers.
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:58 PM   #4
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Windows XP (32bit) at work works with Calibre.

Windows XP(32bit) at home, Calibre will not recognize the PRS-600.

Windows 7 Professional (64bit) at home, Calibre works well for converting formats. But will not recognize the PRS-600.

On the 64bit Windows 7 Professional computer I am also running Windows Virtual PC mode XP. Calibre will recognize the PRS-600, but you can not transfer books using Calibre.

I'm not complaining about Windows, I REALLY like Windows 7 Professional, plus the Windows Virtual PC mode XP. By the way this is not dual boot.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir.../download.aspx

What I am asking is this - Does any of the ereaders have a good file management system, either built in or included?

Last edited by HorridRedDog; 01-10-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:30 PM   #5
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Gotcha...I am gonna assume you have searched the Calibre forum here about why your 600 cannot be recognized? I ask because for all I know it's a know issue as I don't stay up to date on what it does or does not do device wise.

As for library organization on on the device. Any device which supports folders will be better than those w/o. Sorting is another thing to look into if you can assign keywords then that sure makes searching for titles related to your query easier. It can be a cranky bugger but FBReader is not bad at using metadata to keep your library organized, but it is only within FBReader so it has to run on your reader and all that mess. Also you will likely need to edit the meta data of each book inside FBReader because publishers are horrible at that side of things. How ironic that publishers don't know how to keep data organized inside a document. I find that few of my books have meta data where FBReader expects to find it or even there to begin with.

And as I mentioned, nobody I am aware of really offers good device & library management software other than Calibre. I remember something called LibraryThing but have no idea how it advanced since I last looked into it.

I also have used "My Ebook Library" in the past but have not in a long time, it might even be orphaned by now, I don't know. but it wasn't awful as a way to organize on my local drive but I never even looked to see if it can organize content on the reader itself.

I do know that Windows will create folders and such on the Kindle but the device will not use them when organizing your content so, even that is frustrating.

Wish I knew of something to fix whatever is up with the Sony access...I would think there should be no issue, though Sony can often be, ummmm, glacial in how they address issues in firmware or drivers.

That is a real shame to read Win7 64 is having issues with the PRS600, that could very well be the Sony provided driver and not Calibre. Which would mean any software might have similar issues. If I think of something or come across something that might help I will post it for ya...otherwise well, maybe someone has run into the same issue and solved it.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:37 PM   #6
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Kindle and Sony PRS-600 on Linux work like a charm.

Though Calibre doesn't recognize either of my ereaders (fault of the current kernel version I'm running), I'm able to mount both and move files at will with no problems.

Don't need no steekin' software....
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:34 PM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
With all the new ereader devices, and even the number of "old" ones, I think it would
be hard to find anyone who can speak to what all may be out there. We can of course,
speak about what we have ourselves. As has been mentioned a reader that makes use
of a folder structure, has a jump on any that don't.

Since this thread seems to be addressing Software ebook readers and ebook managment on a PC, and seems to have added a requirement of syncing with
the OP's device, as well - I find it odd that he wants to rule out Calibre.

I would think that it would be more productive for him to find out why a program
that does exactly what he is looking for, and runs well on a great many computers,
finds his computers problematic. I know trouble shooting your computer's incompatibility will take more effort than trying every other program out there, but it may be that the
other programs will face the same problem that Calibre does. (Especially if the device's
interface drivers are at fault.)

I don't quite see how your computer problem consitutes News, perhaps you would find
more useful replies under "Caliber" or "Reading and Managment"?

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:58 PM   #8
HorridRedDog
Addict

I hate to turn this into a Calibre thread but...

In answer to some of the above questions -

Kovid uses an API (application programming interface) called WMI. This provides an operating system interface with windows hardware, among many other things.

Per Kovid - "There are no plans to use anything other than WMI"
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=711786

Windows 7 Profesional has no problems in itself with Calibre, but acording to Kovid the WMI susbsytem (or some of its' files) can become corupt. Acording to "WMI Control" in Administrative Tools, WMI is working correctly. But not according to Calibre.

With Calibre having trouble with WMI on 2 of my computers it will not find the PRS-600.

I have searched the net and the Microsoft Knowledge Base. None of the solutions have helped. Kovid sugested that the only way he knows to fix it is to re-install Windows. My Win 7 system is going on 3 months and I just don't feel like doing that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

So lets start again.
I am not complaining about any version of Windows.
I am not complaining about Calibre.

I AM seeking comments from other ereader users about thier readers in a search for a better reader/software SYSTEM. They do not have to know EVERY system out there to tell me what is the best one, just tell me if you like the way that yours handles ebooks.

Last edited by HorridRedDog; 01-10-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:22 PM   #9
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
eBooks are just files. Why not just use a file system and something to sync your computers like Dropbox? All of the software that I have seen, besides Calibre, I terrible.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:26 PM   #10
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well perhaps this thread will form the basis for a sticky on the "Reading and Managment"
forum.

I did notice, at that forum, that the Sony software has its distractors, perhaps in some
of those threads alternatives were discussed.

Luck;
Ken
Old 01-10-2010, 11:33 PM   #11
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorridRedDog View Post
In answer to some of the above questions -

Kovid uses an API (application programming interface) called WMI. This provides an operating system interface with windows hardware, among many other things.

Per Kovid - "There are no plans to use anything other than WMI"
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=711786

Windows 7 Profesional has no problems in itself with Calibre, but acording to Kovid the WMI susbsytem (or some of its' files) can become corupt. Acording to "WMI Control" in Administrative Tools, WMI is working correctly. But not according to Calibre.

With Calibre having trouble with WMI on 2 of my computers it will not find the PRS-600.

I have searched the net and the Microsoft Knowledge Base. None of the solutions have helped. Kovid sugested that the only way he knows to fix it is to re-install Windows. My Win 7 system is going on 3 months and I just don't feel like doing that.
Bummer, I had a sense the problem was something along these lines. It can be frustrating I know and I agree that I would not want to do a re-install. Have you considered a "repair install"? I am not even sure if Win7 has a repair install option anymore. I get the sense this issue is certainly not isolated to your system nor Calibre...it means there will hopefully be a patch in a patch or service pack, though I imagine a service pack update is months out yet though I am sure it is already in the works...probably began during the late beta when most stuff is already locked in and won't be addressed right away unless it's really serious.

For now can you manage things OK with just Windows Explorer or whatever Win7 calls it now?

I don't recall if you tried running a Win XP VM to see if it works, but because the VM still must go through Win7 it will end up bumping into the same issue...in theory anyway.

Sorry the news was not better. I wonder how many other people are affected with this WMI problem and is it isolated to only Sony devices, but from Kovid's explanation, other software or drive that depends on WMI will hit the same wall...this is up to MS to address I suppose. But I would look into the non-destructive repair install, that could do the trick unless of course MS decided it's not needed anymore...sigh...some days!!
Old 01-10-2010, 11:39 PM   #12
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
With all the new ereader devices, and even the number of "old" ones, I think it would
be hard to find anyone who can speak to what all may be out there. We can of course,
speak about what we have ourselves. As has been mentioned a reader that makes use
of a folder structure, has a jump on any that don't.

Since this thread seems to be addressing Software ebook readers and ebook managment on a PC, and seems to have added a requirement of syncing with
the OP's device, as well - I find it odd that he wants to rule out Calibre.

I would think that it would be more productive for him to find out why a program
that does exactly what he is looking for, and runs well on a great many computers,
finds his computers problematic. I know trouble shooting your computer's incompatibility will take more effort than trying every other program out there, but it may be that the
other programs will face the same problem that Calibre does. (Especially if the device's
interface drivers are at fault.)

I don't quite see how your computer problem consitutes News, perhaps you would find
more useful replies under "Caliber" or "Reading and Managment"?

Luck;
Ken
Actually no, a "software reader" that is not the issue at hand. What is needed by the OP is a way to manage the ereader device content via your PC. In other words a Library Management tool, like.....drumrolllplease....Calibre...d'oh!! hehehehe...right now Calibre is easil the "best in show" for such apps. As you should have read Kovid, the original creator of Calibre, indicated this is a system level issue for some Win7 Pro installs. And given the subsystem involoved there really is not programatic way around the glitch. In fact it's coin toss if any reader will work properly. There might be problems with other devices as well but only time will tell on that possibility.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:27 AM   #13
Ken Maltby
Wizard

I'll take that as a conformation of my post, in total, not just the part you highlighted.
(At least you quoted the whole sentence, even if your reply was as if the highlighted
part was all that was there.)

Ken
Old 01-11-2010, 03:32 AM   #14
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
I'll take that as a conformation of my post, in total, not just the part you highlighted.
(At least you quoted the whole sentence, even if your reply was as if the highlighted
part was all that was there.)

Ken
wow...ok...
Old 01-11-2010, 08:31 AM   #15
mollybo
Connoisseur
mollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with others

Device: Rocket eBook, Gemstar, and Kindle 3
It's an extra step, but what's wrong with using Calibre, dumping the files you want to a folder on your desktop, and dragging them to the media card in your Sony? It's worked for me in the past when Calibre inexplicably stopped recognizing my 505 (which was fixed with the next release or two of Calibre). I, er, hate the Sony software with the passion of a thousand dying suns and won't use it. Now that we have unswindle, I don't need to use it for anything at all!

I hereby acknowledge this is a Calibre-based answer, and not what you asked for, but it is a work-around that I have used and may be useful for someone, somewhere.
mollybo is offline   Reply With Quote