Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-16-2016, 04:07 PM   #1
KNI
Connoisseur
KNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Sony PRS-650
Sony PRS-350 Stylus repair

The plastic top of the stylus for the Sony PRS-350 eventually breaks, making it useless. I repaired my wife's stylus three years ago, and today the one for mine. Here's how I did it. First, I drilled a hole in the broken off plastic going down into the aluminum tube. The hole is drilled straight down into the aluminum tube I used a 1/16th inch bit. The drill penetrated over 1/2" before going on through.

Then, using a very small bladed screwdriver, I picked at the plastic until I had about 3/16" of it removed, so the inside of the aluminum tube was plastic free for that distance.

Then, I screwed a stainless steel 4-40 X 1/4" pan head Phillips screw into the tube. The screw is slightly too large for this and I could only get about 4 threads deep - but it is enough! If you can get it, a thread-cutting screw might be even better. A sheet metal screw might work well too - but the 4-40 screw was what I had. Note that most hardware stores now sell stainless screws in single quantities - if you need to buy one I'd get a couple.

Bottom line - the fix works fine. My wife's has lasted three years without the screw ever coming out, and lets her use the stylus regularly. The fix lacks elegance - but it works!

Last edited by KNI; 03-16-2016 at 04:09 PM. Reason: spelling correction
KNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 02:13 AM   #2
tvuongpham
Banned
tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle Paperwhite 2nd gen, Kindle KB (dead) PRS-T1, PRS 350
Nice work.. I tried but too bad I drilled at an angle in the top plastic piece... I ended up giving up on the top end.. and just cleaned it out and inserted the stem portion of a q-tip which slightly protrudes after clipping it down to size.

Granted not elegant, but the bottom portion of the stylus is ok. just the top always breaks off.. so my 'hack' enabled me to keep using the good stylus and a hack job for the top via a q-tip stick!!

;-)
tvuongpham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:23 AM   #3
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Best practice is to remove the 350's stylus straight up until it's out of its silo. Resist the natural urge to tug it to the right before it's freed.

If you try this, and gently, you'll see there's virtually no stress on the stylus head, so almost no chance of it ever breaking there due to removals.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:29 PM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Or when removing the stylus, you're initially pushing up and to the left with your right thumb. You should stop as soon as it clicks out of the silo, but some people keep that left/upward push and that also breaks the top off the stylus.

We used to be able to order a replacement stylus from Shapeways that a MR member set up for us for about $10, but not sure if the link still works.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 03:09 AM   #5
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Photos, please - you can save up to 1000 words

Besides, AFAIK any stylus works as long as the tip does not scratch the surface and it's opaque enough for IR.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 04:28 PM   #6
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
Besides, AFAIK any stylus works as long as the tip does not scratch the surface and it's opaque enough for IR.
Just in case you're unaware, the 350 has a silo for the stylus, unlike the T-series which provide nothing to hold the stylus. Thus the effort to remake one that fits and holds and releases properly.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 04:39 AM   #7
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
Just in case you're unaware, the 350 has a silo for the stylus, unlike the T-series which provide nothing to hold the stylus. Thus the effort to remake one that fits and holds and releases properly.
I keep mine in the cover of T1 and T3.

However, I can surely explain how to change the distribution chain of a Monster truck but it will not be only boring but also prone to errors. A few photos would have helped a lot.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 02:17 AM   #8
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
For what it is worth: For my T3 I use a ball point pen with a little rubber ball on the non-writing end. There are several kinds of these 'stylus pens' around.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote