Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-20-2008, 06:33 AM   #1
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
LRF and wrap-around text

Experts, is it possible to wrap text around figures in the LRF format? I've tried to convert html with text wrapping around figures to LRF, and the LRF lost the wrapping. I just want to make sure I'm not missing a trick to make the wrapping possible.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:26 AM   #2
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound View Post
Experts, is it possible to wrap text around figures in the LRF format? I've tried to convert html with text wrapping around figures to LRF, and the LRF lost the wrapping. I just want to make sure I'm not missing a trick to make the wrapping possible.
AFAIK no. I was newer able to get that effect.
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:28 AM   #3
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiklop74 View Post
AFAIK no. I was newer able to get that effect.
Ah, thank you, kiklop. That's what I thought.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:18 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It is possible with hand written LRF but no automatic conversion tool does it as far as I know.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:35 PM   #5
Seabound
Steerage Class

Thanks for the info, Kovid. I wish LRF weren't so arcane.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:49 PM   #6
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Thanks for the info, Kovid. I wish LRF weren't so arcane.
Not to sound like a broken record, but why not use EPUB instead? AdobeDE definitely supports the CSS 'float' property.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:52 PM   #7
Seabound
Steerage Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram View Post
Not to sound like a broken record, but why not use EPUB instead? AdobeDE definitely supports the CSS 'float' property.
I did try it. While the text did wrap around figures in ePub, the other html formatting disappeared, like tables and centering.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:24 PM   #8
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I did try it. While the text did wrap around figures in ePub, the other html formatting disappeared, like tables and centering.
Bizarre -- that shouldn't happen, as EPUB content *is* HTML content. Is the source document something you could post?
Old 12-23-2008, 12:18 AM   #9
Seabound
Steerage Class

Quote:
Bizarre -- that shouldn't happen, as EPUB content *is* HTML content. Is the source document something you could post?
I should point out that the formatting is lost in the Sony reader and in the Sony library viewer. The formatting remains intact in calibre's viewer. For example:

In CSS, one has

H1,H2,H3,H4,H5,H6 { text-align: center; }

In the body, one has

<H5>CHAPTER I</H5>

When I convert to ePub using calibre, "CHAPTER I" is centered when viewed with calibre. With the same ePub file viewed with the Sony library viewer and the Sony reader, "CHAPTER I" is left-justified. What appears perfectly in a browser and in LRF does not in an ePub conversion. I don't want to have another html file just for ePub conversion. I'm quite happy with the LRF conversion, despite no wrap-around text.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:48 AM   #10
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn

Quote:
When I convert to ePub using calibre, "CHAPTER I" is centered when viewed with calibre. With the same ePub file viewed with the Sony library viewer and the Sony reader, "CHAPTER I" is left-justified.
The problem is that your XHTML+CSS is incorrect in a way that calibre is working around, but AdobeDE is not. The correct tag is not <H1>, but <h1> -- capitalization in XML is relevant and all XHTML tags are lower case. Given how many other buggy things AdobeDE accepts, it seems kind of strange they don't accept this, but if you correctly lowercase all your tags in your markup and CSS, it'll work.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:11 AM   #11
Seabound
Steerage Class

Quote:
The problem is that your XHTML+CSS is incorrect in a way that calibre is working around, but AdobeDE is not. The correct tag is not <H1>, but <h1> -- capitalization in XML is relevant and all XHTML tags are lower case. Given how many other buggy things AdobeDE accepts, it seems kind of strange they don't accept this, but if you correctly lowercase all your tags in your markup and CSS, it'll work.
Well, it seems AdobeDE accepts caps in the markups but not in CSS.

I don't think it's strange at all. It's AdobeDE, after all.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:19 PM   #12
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Well, it seems AdobeDE accepts caps in the markups but not in CSS.

I don't think it's strange at all. It's AdobeDE, after all.
I think XML should be treated stricter than HTML so this is not surprising. And tools should warn when they fix buggy code. If calibre did not warn then I think this is a bug that will lead to the problems you had.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 02:59 PM   #13
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I think XML should be treated stricter than HTML so this is not surprising. And tools should warn when they fix buggy code. If calibre did not warn then I think this is a bug that will lead to the problems you had.
That's a good idea... Calibre is currently silently lower-casing the markup but not the CSS. When I created an EPUB with my own spit-and-bailing-wire pipeline mis-capitalization in either the XHTML or CSS would cause ADE not to style the content.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:30 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
lower casing all tag names in the CSS should certainly be relatively easy to do.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote