Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
Lori Reeser
Enthusiast
Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Tab M10
Question Can't edit Metadata

Fair warning - I am only as techie as I need to be in order to get the job done.

I am not able to use the metadata editor box to add new categories. When I click on the 'Add Basic' or 'Add Role' button on the right nothing happens. I am able to open the OPF file.

Any ideas? I do have the current version.

Also (or maybe instead), is there a way to convert Calibre metadata to Sigil metadata. This is what I'm trying to do. I'll enter it by hand if necessary, but prefer not. I'm taking multi-volume epubs (e.g. 25 Favorite Novels) and splitting them for easier access and reading.

Thanks for any ideas, even those really obvious ones, because I am pretty lost here.
Lori Reeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:00 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Adding metadata is not that difficult. If you press either button a pop-up should appear. In that pop-up you can select the metadata you can add. These are the only official metadata groups and roles.
Calibre metadata is only used for Calibre (and I seem to recall one reader) and nothing else. In the current metadata standard there are no equivalents for series. You can enter any type of metadata in the OPF, but don't expect anything or anybody using it or even seeing it.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:26 AM   #3
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Once you open the Metadata Editor you should be able to just press the Add Basic or Add Role buttons to bring up a list of entries to choose from. If you don't see it, try restarting Sigil and opening the Metadata Editor without loading a book. Try moving your windows around in case the lists are covered by another window.

The current version is 0.6.2 - is that what you see under Help->About?

What OS version?
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
Lori Reeser
Enthusiast
Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried what you suggested. The problem seems to be specific to this book. I've tried some others in this series (all split from one mega-book) and they don't work also.

If I edit metadata on an empty book, it works fine, but it won't my book. There is a lot of data in the opf file that seems to have come from the original book metadata plus from the Sigil split.

Should I just start a new opf file and copy the info I want into the new file? As I mentioned, I'm not techie so a quick fix would be fine for me. Also, I could create a 'master' opf for the whole series.

I have Windows Vista
Old 01-21-2013, 02:21 AM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
That is really peculiar. How was this split done?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #6
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The data in the OPF file should not affect whether the Add Basic button works or not. Its conceivable that the data in the OPF prevents the Metadata Editor from opening if it were corrupt. But you indicated it opens. I don't see how the Add Basic button is not popping up a list for you (if it isn't then this is quite interesting). Remember - clicking Add Basic is so you can select a new entry - it does not show your existing entries. Your existing entries - if they are EPUB 2 standard - will show up as soon as you open the Metadata Editor.

If the real issue is that the Metadata Editor is not showing your entries, its because they are using a non-EPUB 2 standard format - a format specific to calibre. You can manually enter entries in the Metadata Editor - they'll be put alongside your existing ones in the OPF.

Feel free to post/PM the OPF so it can be looked at.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:47 PM   #7
Lori Reeser
Enthusiast

The books I am having trouble with were split using Sigil, but I have used Calibre to add some metadata.

When I try to edit the metadat the metadata editor box pops up. When I click add basic the options box comes up (it didn't before, don't ask me why). However if I click on one of the options (date, language, etc.) the box closes but the new option is not added.

I looked at the other set of books, which were split by Calibre then edited in Sigil. The metadata box works there.

I have not checked every book, just a random sample. I attach the .opf for "A Child'd History of England".

(I just hate it when I have an 'interesting' case. I much prefer missing the obvious solution.)

Thanks for your suggestions and help! If worse comes to worse I can just create an .opf from scratch, but I'd prefer to know what and why, so I can avoid this in the future.

Lori

Last edited by Lori Reeser; 02-15-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:34 PM   #8
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Newbie myself, but I used XML Notepad to look at the OPF.

I'm just curious is the dc:description should look this complicated?

Code:
<div><p class="description">Split from:</p><p class="description"></p><div><p class="description"><strong>Synopsis:</strong></p><p class="description">COMPLETE WORKS OF CHARLES DICKENS <br>(Definitive Edition NOOK) <br>WORLDWIDE BESTSELLER <br></p><p class="description">Over 25,000 pages of Charles Dickens <br></p><p class="description">Includes Pickwick Papers, Oliver Twist, Christmas Carol, David Copperfield, Bleak House, Hard Times, Tale of Two Cities, Great Expectations and More!<br></p><p class="description">PARTIAL TABLE OF CONTENTS<br></p><p class="description">TABLE OF CONTENTS<br>THE POSTHUMOUS PAPERS OF THE PICKWICK CLUB<br>OLIVER TWIST<br>THE LIFE AND ADVENTURES OF NICHOLAS NICKLEBY<br>THE OLD CURIOSITY SHOP<br>BARNABY RUDGE<br>MARTIN CHUZZLEWIT<br>DOMBEY AND SON<br>DAVID COPPERFIELD<br>BLEAK HOUSE<br>HARD TIMES<br>LITTLE DORRIT<br>A TALE OF TWO CITIES<br>GREAT EXPECTATIONS<br>OUR MUTUAL FRIEND<br>THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD<br>A CHRISTMAS CAROL<br>THE CHIMES<br>THE CRICKET ON THE HEARTH<br>THE BATTLE OF LIFE<br>THE HAUNTED MAN AND THE GHOST'S BARGAIN<br>CHRISTMAS STORIES FROM ‘HOUSEHOLD WORDS” AND “ALL THE YEAR ROUND”<br>MASTER HUMPHREY'S CLOCK<br>THE LAMPLIGHTER'S STORY<br>A HOUSE TO LET<br>THE SIGNAL-MAN<br>THE HAUNTED HOUSE<br>TO BE READ AT DUSK<br>THE TRIAL FOR MURDER<br>HUNTED DOWN<br>A HOLIDAY ROMANCE<br>GEORGE SILVERMANS'S EXPLANATION<br>AMERICAN NOTES FOR GENERAL CIRCULATION<br>PICTURES FROM ITALY</p><p class="description">If you find any inappropriate content, please report it to Barnes &amp; Noble. </p><p class="description"><strong>William Makepeace Thackeray:</strong></p><p class="description">"A national benefit, and to every man and woman who reads it a personal kindness."</p><p class="description"><strong>Biography:</strong></p><p class="description">Charles John Huffam Dickens (7 February 1812 – 9 June 1870) was an English writer and social critic who is generally regarded as the greatest novelist of the Victorian period and the creator of some of the world's most memorable fictional characters.<br></p><p class="description">During his lifetime Dickens' works enjoyed unprecedented popularity and fame, but it was in the twentieth century that his literary genius was fully recognized by critics and scholars. His novels and short stories continue to enjoy an enduring popularity among the general reading public.<br></p><p class="description">Born in Portsmouth, England, Dickens left school to work in a factory after his father was thrown into debtors' prison. Though he had little formal education, his early impoverishment drove him to succeed. He edited a weekly journal for 20 years, wrote 15 novels and hundreds of short stories and non-fiction articles, lectured and performed extensively, was an indefatigable letter writer, and campaigned vigorously for children's rights, education, and other social reforms.<br></p><p class="description">Dickens was regarded as the 'literary colossus' of his age. His creative genius has been praised by fellow writers—from Leo Tolstoy to G. K. Chesterton and George Orwell—for its realism, comedy, prose style, unique characterisations, and social criticism.</p></div><p></p></div>
Paul
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I'm just curious is the dc:description should look this complicated?
That's fairly common for a description/summary. xml-escaped html to add some formatting.

I don't know whether it was intentional (or if it even matters) but the attached OPF file has no version attribute in its package element.

Code:
<package xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" unique-identifier="uuid_id">
Should probably be:
Code:
<package xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" unique-identifier="uuid_id" version="2.0">
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:26 AM   #10
meme
Sigil developer

Thanks for the file.

The OPF as you've given it is corrupt. Replacing the default OPF with this one and running Validate shows a number of issues.

As Toxaris asked, how did you create the EPUB with this OPF? I'd recommend going back to the original and checking if it worked ok. Then split it again.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:18 PM   #11
Lori Reeser
Enthusiast

Thanks for the help. I will try splitting the book again.

I used Sigil to split the book, and I did some editing (tagging chapters for TOC, formatting titles and cover to H1) all using Sigil. I also used Calibre to get basic metadata and a cover image. Otherwise I don't know what I did.

How can I check the OPF? The check by FlightCrew (included in Sigil) says everything is ok. I tried W3C, but I didn't understand what came up.

If there is a place I can learn more about this, please direct me. I have looked at the Sigil User Guide and some of the links from there.

I'll post later with my results and/or resolution to the problem.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:52 PM   #12
Lori Reeser
Enthusiast

Correction - I split the books using the Epub Splitter plug-in for Calibre. The new split seems fine. Originally before splitting I merged all the HTMLs from one book into one HTML. This time I didn't. It may have been that, or some other action that caused the problem.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:54 AM   #13
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
The output of both flight crew and the css checker can be hard to understand. They do give you a line number where the problem occurred. Often the best thing is to just go to where it says it is a problem and take a look at it and perhaps compare it to an example in a working epub or to one at www.w3schools.com.

One thing that is very annoying about the cleaning function is that it reports that there is an unmatched paragraph tag when in fact there is an unmatched tag of another sort, often an anchor tag, in the middle of a paragraph. That is after taking you far away from the actual scene of the crime.

If you do anything that is likely to result in cleaning, like switching views, etc, it is worthwhile to remember the line number so you can return to where the problem probably is.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #14
Lori Reeser
Enthusiast

Thanks!

Thanks for the reference to the http://www.w3schools.com/ site! I've been doing my 'editing' by finding an example and copying it. Now I might actually learn what to do.

(Of course the whole idea to begin with was a quick split off of single works from a multiwork epub . . .)