Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-18-2009, 11:12 PM   #1
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Calibre GUI and Mac OS X issue adding books?

Looked through the tickets and did a search but could not find any info whether this is an issue for others or just me. When adding a book to calibre and converting it to ePub after launching it, there is no problem. However, when adding any more books to calibre after the first book, error windows show up while importing stating that each book is already present in the library with the same title and do you want to add it again (even though it wasn't previously in the library).
If you choose cancel, then the book previously added to the library is duplicated and the metadata is changed to that of the book I am trying to import. However, when converted, the actual ePub is the old book with metadata from the "new" book.
If you choose OK, then 2 entries appear in the library. Both have the metadata of the new book added, however, they differ in size and when converted to ePub and viewed, one is the new book and one is the old book imported first in the calibre session.

Eg:
Open calibre and add book 1 and convert to ePub = works
Then add book 2 and book 3, window opens saying book 2 and book 3 are already in library - 2 options cancel and OK
scenario A: choose cancel. book 2 and book 3 both added to library with metadata except when converted actual text is from book 1
scenario B: choose OK. 2 entries appear for both book 2 and book 3 with metadata except one copy of each book is actually book 1 with metadata from the new books.

technical data: mac os x 10.5.5 and calibre 4.137

btw. great program. donated to keep it going. thanks.
slantybard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:29 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
That's very strange. Are you starting with a new empty library? Did you point it to a totally empty folder?

If you don't do the conversion after adding the first book, can you then add more books?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2009, 02:03 AM   #3
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, I am using my usual library. I haven't tried to start a new library since I don't want to have to re-import all my books and metadata. Doesn't matter if I convert after the first import post restart. If I go to add more books, it always throws up the duplicates warning.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:37 AM   #4
idragon
idragon began at the beginning.

Device: itouch
I've also had this issue of adding books, then getting a Book already exists error. This started happening with the last update 0.4.137.

In my case I'm not converting anything, I havent been able to track down the exact cause or sequence of events, Sometimes I get it after my 2nd add, and sometimes I can add 20+ books before I get the error.

I 've noticed if I change anything in the original directory where I'm adding books from (not the calibre dir), i.e change file names, or remove files after I added the first lot (still in the original dir), this seems to exacerbate the problem and calibre throws up an exception, that the path / file doesnt exist, and you get the cannot add duplicate error, then if you click on the duplicate book, there are no formats available, i.e it tried to copy from the previous book format, and failed ( Like the OP said, it copies existing books and metadata)

Note: My library isnt new, there are about 2000 books in it, and filled it up before this last update without any problems.

Update: Forgot to add, I'm also running on OSX 10.5.6, and its an awesome program. I've spent many hours sorting out my library , and uploading into Calibre

Last edited by idragon; 02-19-2009 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Update on original text
idragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:06 AM   #5
Mitchll
Cave Dweller
Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ipad Sony reader prs-505 prs-900
I encountered the same situation.
Mitchll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2009, 11:48 AM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hmm... I never get this... but I also don't add alot of books. How are you adding the books? Are you using drag-n-drop?
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:53 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Hmm ok I'll look into it. Can someone post the log from Console.app when this hapends, it will help me figure out what's going on

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 02-19-2009 at 12:55 PM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:15 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just tried adding books both by drag and drop and using the add books dialog on my OS X 10.4 machine and it worked fine. So I'm going to need the logs as well as more details about the kind of books you are adding and exactly how you add them
Old 02-20-2009, 11:16 PM   #9
slantybard
my parent's oops...

Kovidgoyal - I sent you a pm email with some console app.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:39 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

thanks i'll look at it in the next couple of days
Old 02-21-2009, 09:25 AM   #11
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
Adding books works on my iMac as well. I archive the directory I add from onto a flash device and then remove the originals. Doesn't seem to bother calibre at all. Sorry I can't be any help other then "It works great here"
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote