Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats > LRF

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 09:16 AM   #1
jcornel7
jcornel7 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
A ton of Newbie questions - Sony Reader

After some very extensive research I went to the Sony store yesterday and used my company discount to buy a Sony Reader. Its a very cool device and I travel a lot for work so this way I can do my research and tech reading without having to open my laptop. (I hope)

If not youll see this thing end up on Ebay

Here are my questions:
1. I have a library of hundreds of technical Ebooks, however they are all pdf or chm. Is there some way to batch convert them?

2. Where do you get your fiction books? (legally or "not so legally" - e.g. George RR Martin, Frank Herbert, Stephen King, Lincoln Childs, etc.)

3. Do you have to use the Sony eBook Library software, its a heap of dung as software goes?

4. I also have a ton of Word docs that I save to RTF however when I try to open them I get page invalid. How do I fix this?

OK I think that is all for now....Thanks in advance.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:24 AM   #2
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcornel7 View Post
After some very extensive research I went to the Sony store yesterday and used my company discount to buy a Sony Reader. Its a very cool device and I travel a lot for work so this way I can do my research and tech reading without having to open my laptop. (I hope)
You hope in vain, I think. Excepting the Iliad, this generation of e-ink readers is for reading books, not for perusing technical books.

Quote:
If not youll see this thing end up on Ebay
Check your keyboard for the apostrophe key. Don't be offended, I'm a picky old pedantic grouch.

Quote:
Here are my questions:
1. I have a library of hundreds of technical Ebooks, however they are all pdf or chm. Is there some way to batch convert them?
Into what? The Sony Reader supports PDF. Otherwise, search this forum for calibre.

Quote:
2. Where do you get your fiction books? (legally or "not so legally" - e.g. George RR Martin, Frank Herbert, Stephen King, Lincoln Childs, etc.)
For the Sony Reader, your choice is the Sony Bookstore. Obtaining illegal books is illegal, and no one here is going to be party to a criminal act.

Quote:
3. Do you have to use the Sony eBook Library software, its a heap of dung as software goes?
No, it's not necessary in order to transfer books. Standard Windows file i/o to the device or an SD card does the trick. "Its" needs that pesky apostrophe![/quote]

Quote:
4. I also have a ton of Word docs that I save to RTF however when I try to open them I get page invalid. How do I fix this?
Don't know, perhaps best asked on a general tech forum.

Quote:
OK I think that is all for now....Thanks in advance.
You're welcome, and welcome to the site! Most people are much nicer than me, so don't form to quick a first impression.
Advert
Old 05-07-2008, 09:25 AM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
This is a duplicate post. The same question has been posted in this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23619

So I'm going to close this one and suggest that people answer in the other thread.

Closed Thread

Tags
batch, convert, newbie, rtf, sony