Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
mitch13
Groupie
mitch13 began at the beginning.

Device: Appraising the market
Calibre Crashing

Quite sometime ago I mailed on a problem I had since Calibre 8.55.0 where Calibre crashed many times usually when I was doing a search of the library.

In recent versions/updates I still have this problem but it seems to be only when I do an "Advanced Search by Title/Author". If I do a general search it does not happen. Probably localized to me but it happens over different PCs and laptops!

Any views?

mitch13
mitch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:01 PM   #2
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch13 View Post
Quite sometime ago I mailed on a problem I had since Calibre 8.55.0 where Calibre crashed many times usually when I was doing a search of the library.

In recent versions/updates I still have this problem but it seems to be only when I do an "Advanced Search by Title/Author". If I do a general search it does not happen. Probably localized to me but it happens over different PCs and laptops!

Any views?

mitch13
I don't think the devs can help you with the little info you have given. Run calibre in debug mode its in the preferences dropdown. Then make calibre crash and post the log.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2012, 10:58 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There are no updates on this issue. I still cannot reproduce it and I'm out of ideas on what could be causing it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:36 AM   #4
mitch13
Groupie

Hi Dopedangel,
Have attached a debug script from a crash while attempting to search for an author.

Hope this can help

mitch13
Attached Files
File Type: txt tmpptilbw.txt (1.2 KB, 196 views)
Old 10-11-2012, 06:22 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Hi Dopedangel,
Have attached a debug script from a crash while attempting to search for an author.

Hope this can help

mitch13
There is no Crash there. That is a normal looking start.

with 10K+ books, Calibre is going to be very busy sorting things
If you have been Killing the process, you have been killing all progress.

Give the job a few HOURS to get done (the first time) with that many books. It has to compile the 'On-Device' list and then it places a (XML) copy (metadata.calibre) on the device. that file is/can be big and takes time to write to Flash. The next time you connect, the file is read, speeding up the process a LOT.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
mitch13
Groupie

Calibre Crashing

Hi the ducks,

The problems I have is after Calibre has started. I have not killed it - that it does itself. If I search with a 'general' search for a book it generally has no problems. If I use an Advanced Search say Title/Author then I can almost guarantee a crash. Why it is not showing up under debug I don't know.

mitch13
Old 10-15-2012, 05:20 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Hi the ducks,

The problems I have is after Calibre has started. I have not killed it - that it does itself. If I search with a 'general' search for a book it generally has no problems. If I use an Advanced Search say Title/Author then I can almost guarantee a crash. Why it is not showing up under debug I don't know.

mitch13
I think you just stepped into Kovid the Guru territory

I suspect that advanced is looking at fields that a standard (remember the tweak that restricts fields to search) search is not looking in.

Have you run Library Maintenance (BACKUP Metadata.db before)?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:23 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Kovid is aware that some folks experience this problem. Unfortunately as Kovid stated in the post above "There are no updates on this issue."
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:33 AM   #9
mitch13
Groupie

The only thing i can add is that if I use the 'General Search' box without going into the 'Special Search' I generally do not have a problem. I can type in "title: "Any title" and it works like a special search but does not crash. If I go into 'Special Search' and type under Title 'Any Title" it will more often than not crash. It is affected by going into the 'Special Search' part of the program.
The only other difference that I might have to a lot of users is I have in excess of 10,000 books in the Calibre Library.

mitch13