Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-13-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
greveg
greveg began at the beginning.

Device: Motorola Android Kindle App
Printing of Non-DRM books for personal use

I've been searching the forums for a thread much like this one lately, and haven't had any luck. I know that this is predominantly an ebook forum, but recently I've been getting into bookbinding as a hobby and was checking into the legality of converting and printing my non-DRM books into signature format. Any thoughts??
greveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
Harper Kingsley
Clone Trooper
Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
If you're talking about buying non-DRM'd ebooks and having them printed, even if it's just for yourself that's pretty illegal. You're basically making counterfeit books, so if one of those books happened to fall into someone else's hand or made it into a used bookstore or something, you could get in serious trouble. Plus there's a chance that whoever your printer is might turn you in.
Harper Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2012, 10:12 PM   #3
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper Kingsley View Post
...that's pretty illegal.
And so was smuggling slaves to freedom to Canada back in the 1800's...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:20 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Oh, for Pete's sake. I don't see anything illegal or immoral about this.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:26 PM   #5
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
And so was smuggling slaves to freedom to Canada back in the 1800's...
Printing an ebook is comparable to freeing human beings that were held against their will?
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2012, 10:34 PM   #6
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MeeBook, Kobo Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by greveg View Post
I've been searching the forums for a thread much like this one lately, and haven't had any luck. I know that this is predominantly an ebook forum, but recently I've been getting into bookbinding as a hobby and was checking into the legality of converting and printing my non-DRM books into signature format. Any thoughts??
It depends - it's not a matter of if the ebook is DRMed or not, it's a matter of if the book is still under copyright (that's what copyright means - the right to make copies).

Some ebooks actually come with print permissions - usually only a few pages, but some will let you print the entire thing.

The 1978 copyright law (I'm presuming you're in the US) defines fair use - although some of the wording is rather vague. Look here and click the link for more info.

Since you're asking about the legality and not the morality, a pointer to the actual law should be all the information you need.

Keep in mind that copyright infringement is not a crime (although there are people on this board who act as though it is) - it's a civil violation. That doesn't mean it's 'OK', but it does mean that the police won't come knocking at your door unless you're also distributing it. It's up to the copyright holder to defend his copyright in the civil courts, not the criminal courts.

So if you're only making one copy, for your own personal use, you're unlikely to get into trouble about it, even if you are violating the law.

But if you want to stay entirely inside the law, then you should only print out public domain works. Those are yours, to do with as you please.

Of course, you could always buy a paper copy and rebind it. That's entirely permissible.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:36 PM   #7
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by odiakkoh View Post
Printing an ebook is comparable to freeing human beings that were held against their will?
I was making the OBVIOUS [I thought, but I guess I thought wrong] point that because something is illegal doesn't mean it is immoral, or wrong.

But you are completely correct, I shouldn't have made an over the top comparison that anyone with any sense wouldn't seriously compare against each other.

I guess scientists need to look off-world for intelligent life, cause it sure isn't here!
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:00 AM   #8
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
I was making the OBVIOUS [I thought, but I guess I thought wrong] point that because something is illegal doesn't mean it is immoral, or wrong.

But you are completely correct, I shouldn't have made an over the top comparison that anyone with any sense wouldn't seriously compare against each other.

I guess scientists need to look off-world for intelligent life, cause it sure isn't here!
You suffer from three problems:

1) Some people do argue that copyright is a crime against humanity.

2) Your mug-shot clearly shows you to be a heretic.

3) You're not me.

The only solution that is readily available for you is to repent of your heresy. The other two problems are largely insurmountable.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:32 AM   #9
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Moderator Notice
Everyone is entitled to share his or her opinion politely and to receive the same in response.

You may disagree with a person's opinions, or dispute their facts or data, providing you do so politely. Likewise, please address your criticisms to those opinions, facts and data rather than the person.

Refer to MobileRead's Guidelines, specifically the full text of the very first item.

If you are unable to remain polite, please refrain from posting anything.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:53 AM   #10
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by greveg View Post

Hi greveg. Welcome to the forums. See above posts concerning the technical legal issues with that aspect of your hobby, but there is a solution.

There are tens of thousands of books freely available in the public domain. These are books that are out of copyright. You could actually make a tidy business out of publishing new editions of these works in your signature format because the original paper versions of the books have been out of print for so long.

If you go to the Gutenberg Project, you'll find those tens of thousands waiting for you. They've already been transcribed from the original and converted into txt, html and ebook format. There are those who would pay real money to have some of these books reconverted to paper format. I can think of more than a few I'd like to have in my personal meat-space.

Drop me a PM.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I have a different take on this that most previous posters. In the US, it is "fair use" to take a printed book, scan it, and produce an ebook - provided it is for your own use only. I can't see any difference, for DRM-free ebooks, in reversing the process, converting the ebook to PDF (say), "printing" it on your personal printer and binding it into book form for your own use. Both of these are non-commercial media/format shifting, which is almost always fair use under pre-DMCA copyright law. DMCA might have changed this for DRMed ebooks, but even with DRM my own view is that personal use DRM stripping and media/format shifting is legal.

The issue is with "printing", which might imply multiple copies. If you make multiple copies, and in particular if you sell them, then this is not covered by fair use. As Rob Lister said, when multiple copies are involved start with books that are out of copyright.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:07 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you do this yourself, for your own personal use, then who's going to know other than you? I've never heard of anyone getting into trouble for format shifting, which is what this is.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:16 AM   #13
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you do this yourself, for your own personal use, then who's going to know other than you? I've never heard of anyone getting into trouble for format shifting, which is what this is.
In addition to what Harry said, it's eventually going to be legal to format shift from a CD to mp3 (UK) and many of us have no moral issues with format shifting from epub to mobi. Why would a format shift from digital to print or print to digital for your own personal use matter?

illegal, likely, but morally, fine imo.

If people consider it morally ok to scan a print book to digital form (which is similar to ripping cdrom to mp3). The reverse should be ok too.

Now if you pass that book on much like you pass the mp3 on, expect to be in trouble if caught.

All that said, when print books cost less than digital in many cases, may as well just buy new rather then print/bind. If it's the print/bind that interests you, just do so using public domain books. (not legal advice, but) afaik if it's in the public domain you could print/bind and sell it.

Last edited by JoeD; 07-14-2012 at 11:19 AM.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote