Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-06-2007, 01:28 PM   #1
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Eye Strain on the Kindle

Is it just me....or does reading on the Kindle induce more eye strain than reading a paper book. I'm not sure yet....since I just started. I'll know more in a few days.

I think it might have something to do with the greyish background.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:33 PM   #2
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I haven't had any eyestrain yet. I do need good lighting, though. I like to have bright light but not to have it glaring on the screen.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2007, 01:42 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Try a larger font (although I wish the line spacing was tunable, particularly with the larger fonts).

Or get a full-spectrum reading light, it is amazing how much difference this can make.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:29 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I don't have a Kindle, but I've noticed no eye strain problems with the Sony (same difference as far as the screen goes). I find I read in the same settings as with a pbook & it feels about the same. I generally have decent lighting, but read in bed with just a small bedside lamp & find it just fine too.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:42 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I've never had any eye-strain with my PRS500, and it's an older gen screen.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2007, 02:55 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I found that with my PRS500, I generally needed to use a reading light. With the CyBook Gen3, however, which has the same screen as the Kindle, I can comfortably read in the ambient room lighting, as I would a paperback book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:02 PM   #7
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I found that with my PRS500, I generally needed to use a reading light. With the CyBook Gen3, however, which has the same screen as the Kindle, I can comfortably read in the ambient room lighting, as I would a paperback book.
Yep. I can read with just the lighting around me which is great, but I find if I'm going to read for hours and hours, whether on the Kindle or a pbook, I like a nice reading lamp, and maybe a cat or two.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:28 PM   #8
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
In good light I find the Kindle to be as easy on the eyes as most paperback books.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:23 PM   #9
Zoot
Connoisseur
Zoot began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Yeah, nudge the font size up one notch and see if that helps. The only way I can get any sort of eye strain reading on the Kindle is if I make the font smaller. This seems even more important than the amount of available light.

Z.
Zoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:30 PM   #10
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think I'm ok on the size 2 font.

The minor issue i have is that because the device is smaller...and the page narrower...i find that my eyes have to exercise back and forth much more. i think might cause a type of eye strain.personally, i think it is better if screen were landscape....and the keyboard slid out.

the next version of the kindle should definite have a slide out keyboard.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:57 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The Kindle won't flip the display to landscape then? I never thought to wonder before you mentioned it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:05 AM   #12
Astropin
Connoisseur
Astropin is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-505, N800
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I've never had any eye-strain with my PRS500, and it's an older gen screen.
My understanding is that that the 500 & Kindle have the same screen....the 505's is more advanced.
Astropin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:17 AM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astropin View Post
My understanding is that that the 500 & Kindle have the same screen....the 505's is more advanced.
The Kindle and 505 both have the latest Vizplex screen, but the Kindle still uses the old 4 gray scale controller (as on the 500) vs the newer 8 gray scale controller on the 505.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:38 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astropin View Post
No. The Kindle, Sony 505, and CyBook Gen3 all use the same identical VizPlex screen. The Sony 505 has a different controller to that used by the Kindle and Gen3, which allows it to display 8 grey scales rather than the 4 of the Kindle/Gen3.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 12:10 AM   #15
markbot
Guru

I have finished my first book on the Kindle and am happy to report comfortable reading.