Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 03-06-2011, 08:39 PM   #1
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
getting command line box?

I don't know where I am doing it wrong. I connect my 650 to my computer through micro-usb, then I downloaded prs650.flash.package.1.05k.zip, unzipped it, double clicked on flash_reader.bat, then I get command line box thing asking me to "enter the letter of the reader drive?"

Where am I doing it wrong, btw I have also just installed microsoft visual C++ 2008 redistributable x64 on my 64bit windows 7. Still getting the same command line box.

Can any guru here enlighten me to the right direct please?
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:38 PM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Couldn't get the boroda to work either but the Amutin cfw worked smooth as silk... links in same area as other PRS+ stuff... it's worth it, now have PRS+ 650 with file and folder access and direct read from cards...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2011, 09:47 PM   #3
CraftyDan
Zealot
CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.

Device: PRS-600 and PRS-350
warakawa,

hate to ask the obvious, but are you running this in the administrator account?
CraftyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:51 AM   #4
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

okay I checked under "User Account", I am using administrative account as it is the only account on my laptop.

Last edited by FinancialWar; 03-07-2011 at 01:57 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:48 AM   #5
CraftyDan
Zealot
CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.

Device: PRS-600 and PRS-350
Quote:
I am using administrative account as it is the only account on my laptop.
And you're using WIN7? I'm pretty sure that's not true. Just because it's the only account you see doesn't mean it has admin privileges turned on. You can still get there from your account, they just aren't automatically enabled.

try this:

- Make a shortcut to the .bat (RIGHT click, select "create shortcut")
- Open the shortcut's properties (RIGHT click, select "properties")
- On the shortcut tab, click "advanced"
- check the box, "Run as administrator"

"OK" out (twice) and run the shortcut (after your reader is ready, of course).
CraftyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2011, 07:22 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I hate to say this, but I have to.

This is so sad. Kids today have no idea what a command prompt is. Please go and read up on MS-DOS. Then you might know what a batch file is and what is going on.

The batch file needs to know what drive letter your system assigned the internal memory of the Reader. Given what's being asked, I would have thought that would be fairly obvious. But I guess not.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:34 AM   #7
FinancialWar
Banned

thanks, I managed to complete step 1.

2) Unpack corresponding launcher file into the root of internal memory. You should get test-startup folder if using launcher for boroda (porkupan) or simply test.sh if amutin.

can someone explain to me what is "unpack", where is the root of internal memory and what and where is the launcher file?
Old 03-07-2011, 08:06 AM   #8
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Don't jump to conclusions... my computing experience goes back to before disk drives and even assembler but, using the Boroda, I had exactly the same experience and entering the drive letter simply resulted in the batch file terminating with no installation... whole thing then worked first time using Amutin so although warakawa might not know about command prompts, equally it wouldn't help if he entered a letter and had the process terminate.

Mind you, I tend to feel that if you don't know anything about the absolute basics then you're pushing your luck fumbling around in the internals of anything let alone readers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I hate to say this, but I have to.

This is so sad. Kids today have no idea what a command prompt is. Please go and read up on MS-DOS. Then you might know what a batch file is and what is going on.

The batch file needs to know what drive letter your system assigned the internal memory of the Reader. Given what's being asked, I would have thought that would be fairly obvious. But I guess not.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:18 AM   #9
FinancialWar
Banned

elcreative: just ignore JSwolf, he didn't even read my question probably. I don't want to get off track.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:50 AM   #10
bbriand
Enthusiast
bbriand began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Open Windows Explorer and make note of the drive letter of your Sony. Use that when prompted for a drive letter.

On a side note I tend to never double click BATch files from Windows Explorer. Status / Error messages could be returned but the window closes before you can read them.

Open Windows Explorer and make sure "View->Toolbars->Address Bar" is checked on.

Next navigate to where the BATch file is located.

Highlight the address in the address bar and right click and copy the address of your current folder location.

Click "Start->Run" and type "cmd" without the quotes. In Windows 7 you can click start and I believe just type in "cmd" again with out the quotes. Hit Enter once typed.

Now you should have a text box in front of you with something like "C:\"

type in "CD ", without the quotes and note the space after CD, inside the window. Before hitting enter right click inside the window and select Paste. Now hit enter.

Now at the beginning of the address location you typed there should be a drive letter. Type this letter plus a : (colon) and hit enter. So if your address location was "C:\Program Files..." The drive letter is the first letter. In this case C. So type:
C:
and hit enter.

Now type in the name of the batch file as read from windows explorer. you can even switch back to windows explorer and highlight the BATch file. Then press F2 and right click the file name and click copy. switch back to the command prompt and right click and paste.

Once you have the name of the batch file typed in Hit Enter. You can also issue a DIRectory command by typing "dir" without the quotes and hitting Enter to see the files in the current folder (directory).

Hopefully this helps. This way if any message is returned from the batch file you can read it easily.

Good luck!
Bill

Last edited by bbriand; 03-07-2011 at 09:18 AM. Reason: missed a command
bbriand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:56 AM   #11
FinancialWar
Banned

wow, that's alot of things to learn just to flash a reader...
Old 03-07-2011, 09:17 AM   #12
bbriand
Enthusiast
bbriand began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Those are really just the old school steps on how to use MSDOS

When I hear BATch file my mind flips back pre windows days and its into a command prompt I go.

I missed a small step so I'm going to edit my previous post.

Bill
bbriand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #13
elcreative
Wizard

Which is why Kartu recommends waiting for the new base flasher... it'll do it all for you... the boroda/amutin way is for those too impatient to wait and confident in lower level messing around who started using this stuff before there was even MS DOS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by warakawa View Post
wow, that's alot of things to learn just to flash a reader...
Old 03-07-2011, 08:06 PM   #14
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Or you could just install the MSVC Redistributable to get the flashing program to work. But if you bothered to read the FAQ, you would have known that already... BTW, you don't have to be the administrator any more in the latest flash packages.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:16 PM   #15
FinancialWar
Banned

it's I am just going to wait for the prs+ base flash to be released. All these are getting too technical for me. I'm not an IT guy or anything.