Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-10-2011, 02:12 AM   #31
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
Personally, I don't want an all-in-one type of device. I like a dedicated reader as it gets me away from being connected (mine obviously has no wifi). I want to focus on the story the author is telling and not be distracted by the constant tweets, facebook updates, incoming emails, RSS feeds, and all of the other distractions being connected brings.
Glad you like your device. I figure focus is up to the individual, not the device, though. I focus fine on iPad. I have my e-mail on manual retrieval, so no pinging unless I want otherwise. I don't tweet, or use Facebook, RSS feeds or games. If I want to save battery life and disconnect, there's airplane mode. I don't find need for it, though.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:29 AM   #32
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sorry, the only credence they'll get is if product is available to buy and in the hands of users.
Uh, I have a OLPC from 2007 that features an early form of this technology. The updated versions of this laptop are still shipping and a new 1.75 version will be shipping soon. And you also have the DIY kits for sale (there was a Samsung Netbook up for sale on Ebay a couple days a go that had the Pixel Qi screen installed). It's not vapor ware and it is shear obstinacy in the face of the facts to maintain that it is. That being said, it remains to be scene whether it will really change the game in ereaders or tablets.

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2011, 11:09 AM   #33
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
I'm not so sure. If we accept that a multifunction device will always need more power, more ports, better speakers, and probably a larger screen size than a dedicated eReader, then regardless of improvements in screen quality there may always be room in the market for a smaller, lighter, cheaper device optimised for eReading.

I can foresee a time in not too many years when dedicated readers are under $50 and are as mainstream as paper books.

Graham
Agreed.
There will always be various markets... ipad type multi-function tablets will expand, but when it comes to dedicated readers, there will always be a specific market for those alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
With all due respect to endgaget they are not an excepted IT news source as is Cnet, PC World, PC Magazine and Byte. The IT sources I have named are talking about tablets replacing cell phones not ereaders.

Cnet, PC World, and PC Magazine are so buried up the rear end of companies they advertise for and are owned by, that they would tell us a $40 piece of plastic was the best ereader on the market if the advertiser or owner gave them a nice bonus for it.

The extremely biased CBS Interactive owns cnet
PC Magazine = ZiffDavis, owned by cnet
PCWorld = owned by DSGi who has worked closely with CBS for some years now
Byte = owned by UBM tech, includes board members and reviewers that have worked for or closely with cnet
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:04 PM   #34
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
Personally, I don't want an all-in-one type of device.... I want to focus on the story the author is telling and not be distracted by the constant tweets, facebook updates, incoming emails, RSS feeds, and all of the other distractions being connected brings.
I sort of agree, and have advanced similar arguments in the past.

However, the iPad didn't end up doing that -- there are no notifications or additional distractions, really. (Your smartphone is still going to interrupt you, by the way, no matter what you use to read. ) So to me, it's screen quality, battery life, weight and price that favor dedicated devices.

I don't know if multi-purpose devices will beat dedicated readers in those categories; it seems somewhat unlikely though, as I expect they'll continue to focus on video and apps over "readability."
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:17 PM   #35
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
If the tablet takes off and becomes cheaper I can see myself getting one, but also having an ebook reader. I don't think one device "excludes" another, just as the Ipad (or Ipad clone) won't replace the full-function computer for anyone who really wants to do some serious computer work. People who only read magazines or struggle to get through a book will be happy with a tablet, the e-ink screen is much easier for long reading periods.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2011, 05:25 PM   #36
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CazMar View Post
People who only read magazines or struggle to get through a book will be happy with a tablet, the e-ink screen is much easier for long reading periods.
This seems to be based on the false assumption that we all have similar eyesight, reading preferences and such.

I have no problem reading a book or two a day on an iPad. A good number of forum users likewise happily read on LCD devices.

Some readers need e-ink because of their own physical limitations, but that doesn't logically extend to all readers.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:32 PM   #37
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
I sort of agree, and have advanced similar arguments in the past.

However, the iPad didn't end up doing that -- there are no notifications or additional distractions, really. (Your smartphone is still going to interrupt you, by the way, no matter what you use to read. )
Luckily, there's an off button on phones, too.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:57 PM   #38
Fayth
Zealot
Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
This seems to be based on the false assumption that we all have similar eyesight, reading preferences and such.

I have no problem reading a book or two a day on an iPad. A good number of forum users likewise happily read on LCD devices.

Some readers need e-ink because of their own physical limitations, but that doesn't logically extend to all readers.
LCDs cause eye strain. Thats a fact. Whether you have 20/20 vision or not, you'll get eye strain on an LCD screen. You clearly don't mind it, other people do. Personally, as someone who reads between 3 and 5 hours daily, and spends at least 5 hours in front of a computer, I'd rather have E-ink to break up my already long periods of time in front of an LCD.

If other screen tech comes along that offers a no glare, no eye strain solution, I'll be interested. That being said, I still want a device thats lightweight and has a long battery life (1 week minimum). To me, ereaders need to be as close to physical book reading as possible, with all the added convenience of a digital format. I don't need or want a multipurpose device, considering an ereader that fits my qualifications easily fits into a standard bag/case that I need to carry around for other purposes.
Fayth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:46 PM   #39
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayth View Post
LCDs cause eye strain. Thats a fact. Whether you have 20/20 vision or not, you'll get eye strain on an LCD screen. You clearly don't mind it, other people do. Personally, as someone who reads between 3 and 5 hours daily, and spends at least 5 hours in front of a computer, I'd rather have E-ink to break up my already long periods of time in front of an LCD.

If other screen tech comes along that offers a no glare, no eye strain solution, I'll be interested. That being said, I still want a device thats lightweight and has a long battery life (1 week minimum). To me, ereaders need to be as close to physical book reading as possible, with all the added convenience of a digital format. I don't need or want a multipurpose device, considering an ereader that fits my qualifications easily fits into a standard bag/case that I need to carry around for other purposes.
I would not look to you for an eye exam, thanks. Your preferences and your eyesight are yours to manage, of course.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:05 PM   #40
mcooke66
Connoisseur
mcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook ST - Nook 1st Gen
Quote:
LCDs cause eye strain. Thats a fact. Whether you have 20/20 vision or not, you'll get eye strain on an LCD screen.
The only thing that gives me eye strain is reading another debate about eye strain. Reading a book for too many hours gives you eye strain, driving for to many hours gives you eye strain etc. The biggest thing for me has never been the LCD but rather the ergonomics of sitting in a chair staring at a monitor. I think that is why so many people with LCD tablets do not have issues with eye strain.

Quote:
I'd rather have E-ink to break up my already long periods of time in front of an LCD.
That is great reason for you to have different device for reading, no more justification is necessary.
mcooke66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:56 PM   #41
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I really don't have any desire for a tablet computer. To me they're like a toaster oven, which is too small to really bake anything in and takes forever to toast a piece of bread. Lousy oven, lousy toaster in one convenient appliance.

And I've had it up to here with devices that require any sort of monthly fee. I have the cell phone, the satellite TV, the utilities, the mortgage...it'll take a lot to get me to buy something else with a monthly fee attached.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:56 PM   #42
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
To be honest, I really can't see tablets being the future of my own e-reading. I love E-ink and I find the 6-7" format perfect in regards to reading and portability. I'll always want a device I can slip into a coat pocket, or just carry in my hand and that isn't too big to use on a crowded bus, while sitting on a bar stool or some similar circumstance.

I'll no doubt get a tablet at some point too, when variety available is up and prices down, for use both on travels and instead of my laptop at home. I'm in no hurry though.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:42 AM   #43
Readerlover2011
Readerlover2011 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I love to use tablet to read E book. Besides reading, I could do a lot of other things. More practical gadgets than ebook readers.
Readerlover2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:39 AM   #44
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Who would want a 5" phone ??
Me for one - and given that the HTC HD2 had a 4.3" screen and sold pretty well, I suspect the answer might be "more people than you think"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
I think that, just like we still find cameras, you'll still find dedicated device for e-reading, cheaper than the do-it-all devices.
I do agree with you on this point. I also believe that dedicated devices will generally offer a better experience because they can focus on doing one thing really well.
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:44 AM   #45
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I almost never make calls on my cell phone. I can definitely see getting a cheap pay as you go for voice calls and having a data only tablet for everything else. A 7 inch fits nicely in my purse. My eink reader would stay at home, by my bedside, for those snuggly long reads I enjoy each evening.

Last edited by taming; 01-11-2011 at 07:46 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote