Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-30-2010, 05:53 PM   #1
mikij
Connoisseur
mikij doesn't littermikij doesn't litter

Device: PRS-600
The rights issues

I bought an e-book from Amazon ("Daniels' Running Formula" - running training related). I started to read it in Kindle PC and found that some images are missing. After sending an email to their CS representatives, I received the response that their technical team will try to find the solution. This morning I got the response that some images are not included due to the rights issues.
So, I asked for the refund because the ebook useless without training specific schedule images.
If i had bought the same book directly from the publisher, should I have received it complete with images? No idea, but probably yes because it was included in the original paperback.

Amazon`s CSR was really helpful and quick, but I don`t understand how Amazon can sell the books that include images and graphs for which they don`t have rights. And nobody knew about it.
mikij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:58 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's nothing to do with Amazon - they just sell the book. You need to talk to the publisher.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 04:24 AM   #3
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Amazon might now try to con the world into thinking it's also a 'publisher'. It ain't by a long shot. It's a retailer with an author mill wing in ebook and PoD (through its less than brilliant BookSurge arm). And this is a typical example of why they are merely shopkeepers -- and not always very good at that either. No true publishing house, large or small, would ever offer a book that was incomplete ... if these images are so vital, copyright should have been bought in or otherwise cleared and the book put on hold until it was fit for sale. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:30 PM   #4
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
The "rights issues" may just be a red herring to camouflage good old-fashioned incompetence. I've bought three ebooks from (different) mainstream publishers in the last 12 months that were all missing the illustrations. I have the suspicion that the illustrations were overlooked in the process of creating the ebooks. (grumbles under breath about 'publishers treating ebooks as an afterthought, not an integral part of production process...')
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:02 AM   #5
mikij
Connoisseur
mikij doesn't littermikij doesn't litter

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
if these images are so vital, copyright should have been bought in or otherwise cleared and the book put on hold until it was fit for sale. Neil
Definitely, they are vital. How can one program his/her training without knowing the priority, e.i. if I have only five weeks to train for a specific race - which phase(s) should I include in my program? One of the missing figures explains exactly this thing.

Of course, you are right, they should have put it on hold until completed. I wonder if the version sold by the original publisher (Human Kinetics) has all the images LOL But it costs almost 10$ more.
mikij is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 04:21 PM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Even a small house like mine, Mik, when we recently acquired ebook-only rights to a book published by a mainstream house that couldn't or wouldn't grant us rights to important illiustrations went to considerable trouble and expense to commission an artist to provide exclusive new artwork (twenty-six full plate images) before we set for digital-only publication next month. There's no excuse for the big boys not to go the extra mile to keep the customer satisfied and present books as intended by their creators. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote