Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-11-2010, 09:23 AM   #1
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
The Kno: A giant double-screen tablet to replace giant textbooks

http://www.gizmag.com/kno-digital-te...nounced/15390/

A double-screened reader, geared towards the student.

It sounds promising, pricing availabe this summer, when the device will enter the student beta program...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:19 AM   #2
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Just for reference: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85582
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2010, 11:29 AM   #3
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
This actually does look great. If the screens are good, I'd love to be able to use it as a touch screen laptop too!
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:50 PM   #4
Tpebop
Tpebop began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
Why would you want a double screen device? It'd just use double the power and have double the price.
Tpebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:02 PM   #5
fishface
Connoisseur
fishface is on a distinguished road

Device: none
One for each eyeball so you can read twice as fast. Duh.
fishface is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2010, 07:42 AM   #6
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Personally I can't wait for the multi-page ebook reader - where each page of the book is on a separate screen so that you can flick backwards and forwards through the pages and stick bits of paper between the pages to mark important passages. And it will have to be in colour, even though everything I read is in black and white, I want the covers to be displayed in colour. Of course it will be larger and weigh more than any of the paper versions of the books that I read, but that's a small price to pay for such brilliant technology,
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:09 AM   #7
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Personally I can't wait for the multi-page ebook reader - where each page of the book is on a separate screen so that you can flick backwards and forwards through the pages
You left out that it MUST have sound. I want to hear the pages as I flip through them.

In spite of that lack, it has other uses. And its not just to enjoy a good book at our leisure.

To quote a brilliant pundit:

"None of these large screen devices will ever be "popular". Just as a street sweeper will never be "popular". But for certain jobs a street sweeper is better than a Mercedes. Same thing with these large screen readers."
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:18 AM   #8
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
You left out that it MUST have sound. I want to hear the pages as I flip through them.
Really?

I don't hear pages flip when I'm reading deadtree books or magazines. In those cases, do you keep a bag of potato chips around that you can squeeze as you turn pages?
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:40 AM   #9
The Straven
Nevermore
The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: ex-iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
You left out that it MUST have sound. I want to hear the pages as I flip through them.[/I]
Personally, my next reader MUST have scratch 'n sniff capability. I want to smell the pages as I flip through them.

TGS, deadpan humor doesn't work if you add smilies.
The Straven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:12 PM   #10
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Straven View Post
Whaddya mean deadpan humour - I'm serious.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:20 PM   #11
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:

To quote a brilliant pundit:

"None of these large screen devices will ever be "popular". Just as a street sweeper will never be "popular". But for certain jobs a street sweeper is better than a Mercedes. Same thing with these large screen readers."
I totally agree. Always room in the market for vertical/ niche products that can fill a specialized but crucial need.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:51 PM   #12
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Really?

I don't hear pages flip when I'm reading deadtree books or magazines. In those cases, do you keep a bag of potato chips around that you can squeeze as you turn pages?
Maybe you're reading dull books. What you need is a real page turner.
(Pun intended. Please laugh.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Straven View Post
Personally, my next reader MUST have scratch 'n sniff capability. I want to smell the pages as I flip through them.

Straven, if you've read where ardeegee's avatar comes from you will NOT want scratch 'n sniff!
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:00 PM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpebop View Post
Why would you want a double screen device? It'd just use double the power and have double the price.
This is marketed for students. And I can see great advantages of a dual screen there. For study books, often double pages are necessary. As they are made up for dual paged books. (see table x... or see image y).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:25 PM   #14
fishface
Connoisseur
fishface is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
For study books, often double pages are necessary. As they are made up for dual paged books. (see table x... or see image y).
It's not so much the facing-pages format (most textbooks don't deliberately use a facing-pages format once you leave behind the earliest childhood picture books). Its more the fact that the dual display allows you to keep both the referring and the referenced pages displayed simultaneously, which I can see as an advantage, but one I'd personally trade for halving the weight of the device.
fishface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:48 PM   #15
MikeFromHC
Zealot
MikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-books

Device: Pandigital Novel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpebop View Post
Any serious student and anybody who has to have a lot of documents open at any one time. I sit on a small Fire department board of directors and will typically have at least six documents open at one time on a laptop.

In college (when the IBM 1620 was a hot machine) the ability to have more than one book open would have been great. Even in "one book" classes the ability to read on one side, have a powerful calculator and space to write on the other would have been wonderful.

The only thing it lacks is Pixel Qi screens
MikeFromHC is offline   Reply With Quote