Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 02-21-2009, 01:33 AM   #1
janiceoc
janiceoc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Smile Hello from a book lover

Hello everyone. I'm an avid reader and love books. Never thought I'd want an ebook, but I'm running out of shelf space and could a little help with font size. I'm excited about purchasing an ereader. Have been looking at the Kindle 2. If anyone has any suggestions about which reader to buy, please share.
janiceoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:38 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by janiceoc View Post
Hello everyone. I'm an avid reader and love books. Never thought I'd want an ebook, but I'm running out of shelf space and could a little help with font size. I'm excited about purchasing an ereader. Have been looking at the Kindle 2. If anyone has any suggestions about which reader to buy, please share.
Hello, Janiceoc and welcome to MobileRead. A lot depends on where you are and what you like to read.

No one can decide for you, but we can sure help you with options!

I love the original K myself......but the K2 still hasn't been field tested and may prove superior in some respects.....we'll see!

I'll let others chime in on their choices. Good luck!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2009, 08:23 AM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi janiceoc and welcome to the forum. I've had a Sony 505 for over a year now and like it a lot.

Main advantage of a Kindle is the wireless feature and I gather Amazon sells books cheaper than Sony.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:24 AM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Hello and welcome! I have a 505 as well, and love it. Both have the ability to increase font size.

What do you like to read?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:17 AM   #5
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Welcome Janiceoc. We all have opinions and desires. IMO none of the readers are perfect so it depends on what you want the most, how computer savvy you are, what you want to read and what formats they are in.

The Kindle is great for easy purchase of ebooks from Amazon and with some work on your part can easily read DRMed Mobipocket ebooks as well as unDRMed Mobipocket (with no extra work - I think - don't have personal Kindle experience).

The Sony also has their own proprietary format that can only be purchased from Sony. But they also have an unDRMed version that has become more widely available and the new ones can read epub format.

Bookeen's Cybook Gen3 (and the Hanlin V3 family - includes BeBook & EZ Reader)reads bothe DRMed & unDRMed Mobipocket ebooks and there is a wide market for them. Cybook has dictionary support and excellent font size ability (Hanlin slightly less font size ability with their native firmwares)

This just brushes the surface of some of the 6 inch readers. I like my EZ Reader but with the open source firmware called OpenInkPot (or OI). OI doesn't read any DRMed formats but reads several unDRMed formats.

Most of these readers say they also read PDF (unDRMed). However PDF is much mor problematic and I'll leave it at that for now.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert