Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 01-14-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Kindle vs iOS blockquote - how handled?

I've discovered that Kindle for Mac and Kindle for iPad both display block quotes at half the value of the Kindle [device]. In books I'm converting, I'm using a "compromise" value so the display is "acceptable" on both.

I'm using a nested (double) block quote for a single quote else the Kindle for iPad displays the block quote as a simple 1em indent - (A blockquote on Kindle displays about 2em indent, on Kindle for iPad and Mac it's half that.)

I'd like to see examples of what others are doing with blockquotes but I can't seem to find any free mobi books that contain blockquotes.

If you know of a free mobi that contains blockquotes would you let me know.

Or.. if you create mobi's with blockquotes how do you handle this issue?
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You're already handling it the best way possible. The apps just render differently than the devices—and there's even rendering differences between the various apps themselves. The blockquotes are where it's most noticeable. You're welcome to try and find a unifying blockquote theory, but I've searched high and low... and compromise is the only solution I've ever found. Maybe when the apps support the new KF8 format, we won't have to worry about it anymore.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
You're already handling it the best way possible. The apps just render differently than the devices—and there's even rendering differences between the various apps themselves. The blockquotes are where it's most noticeable. You're welcome to try and find a unifying blockquote theory, but I've searched high and low... and compromise is the only solution I've ever found. Maybe when the apps support the new KF8 format, we won't have to worry about it anymore.
I understand... I'm not trying to find a unifying theory.... I'm just curious to see other examples of this issue. I'm attempting to collect examples so I have something to show clients to help demonstrate the issue to them. Some people expect perfect when they are paying for a product....
Old 01-14-2012, 05:53 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I did a lot of stuff with blockquote experimenting in this thread. I think there are code examples and attachments included. It has more to do with blockquotes and negative indents, but...

There's also my version of the Shahnameh here in the Free MobileRead Library that has lots of poetry and various blockquoted material. I even made two different MOBIs—one for devices and one for apps. Mobiunpack.py would allow you to see what's going on inside either one. You can search for Shahnameh and it should come up first or second (there's an ePub version as well). I don't know if posting a link to my own material here would be seen as offensive or not, but I'll take a chance.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #5
1611mac
eWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I did a lot of stuff with blockquote experimenting in this thread. I don't know if posting a link to my own material here would be seen as offensive or not, but I'll take a chance.
Thanks so much. I'll check it out (the link and the book). I would think it OK especially since I asked for examples. Thank You.
Advert
Old 01-15-2012, 08:01 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
My "Sherlock Holmes Omnibus" contains numerous blockquotes - I use them for letters, telegrams, etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:54 AM   #7
1611mac
eWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My "Sherlock Holmes Omnibus" contains numerous blockquotes - I use them for letters, telegrams, etc.
Thanks much! I'll definitely take a look.