Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-28-2011, 10:46 AM   #1
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Charging

I see Kobo now include a charger, and also state in the documentation for the Vox that it will ONLY charge with their supplied charger.

I can see this being a real nuisance for people on the go who might like to charge (for instance) in the car, or charge in the office during the day (they would need to bring along the charger).

With luck, we will see some third party solutions to this.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:49 AM   #2
Lordvic
Connoisseur
Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.

Device: Blackberry Playbook
probably decided that standard USB would not supply enough juice to charge the device in a timely manner.

This isn't anything new, as many other tablets have the same problem and required a charge adapter.
Lordvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
KoboJason
Kobo Vox Product Manager
KoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch
The Kobo Vox is designed to charge the most efficiently with the included wall charger.

Although we don't recommend using a 3rd party charger, the Vox will charge using a 3rd party charger provided:
‣ the charger used is a wall-charger and not a standard USB cable
‣ the charger supplies 2 amps

Note the charging light will not show the reader is charging when using a 3rd party charger but know it's still receiving a charge.
KoboJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:46 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Thanks Jason! That IS great news. Time to check the amperage on my various adapters
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:30 PM   #5
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Yeah, too bad the folks my local Coles bookstore didn't know that. I went in there at lunch (since it's in a mall close to where I work) to play around with it, and they were complaining that it went dead. I asked them how long they charged it for and they said it was plugged into their computer all morning and nothing was happening. I enlightened them with the info that they needed to plug it into the wall with the provided charger and they're like, "Oh...thanks...".

Well - at least I got to see it and hold it (and provide a little tech support - lol)!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2011, 05:57 PM   #6
shannont
Connoisseur
shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch, retired Sony PR300
A small single plug inverter for the car lighter is available any automotive store (i.e Canadian Tire, Walmart etc) that you could plug the ac adapter into that for travel. This is how we have to power the portable dvd player we have for our daughter. This is how I plan to charge the Vox when travelling.
shannont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:26 PM   #7
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
The charger for the Blackberry Playbook is 5V 1.8A; the Kobo Vox is 5V 2.0A. So ... it will still charge but I don't see the little amber light?
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:58 AM   #8
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Sounds like the iPad 5V 2.1A charger will work, especially if you supply your own MicroUSB cable.

Speaking of charging, has anyone noticed that if it gets topped up to 100% but you don't unplug it in a few minutes, the screen refuses to turn on again? Sounds like a software bug.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:10 AM   #9
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
Sounds like the iPad 5V 2.1A charger will work, especially if you supply your own MicroUSB cable.

Speaking of charging, has anyone noticed that if it gets topped up to 100% but you don't unplug it in a few minutes, the screen refuses to turn on again? Sounds like a software bug.
Yikes...so maybe I shouldn't charge it overnight like I had planned???
Old 10-29-2011, 02:17 AM   #10
trek790
Enthusiast
trek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Vox
That may explain someone else who has a similar problem. His Vox won't even power on anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
trek790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:04 AM   #11
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I doubt that's true. Mine charged overnight and came on without issues.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:17 AM   #12
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
If your screen appears frozen, hold down the power button for at least 10 seconds. Then hod it down as turning it on from OFF mode.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:40 AM   #13
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did have to reset it twice last night, yes. That's how I started it up again. I think the Kobo app was at fault, as I'd left it open when the screen shut off... and I had the app freeze on me earlier today when turning pages, causing a kernel panic that ended with a restart.

So far it's been charging 5 hours at 100%, and no lockups yet.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:48 PM   #14
pokee
Fanatic

I have had a couple of lock ups, but it was easy to reset. I have had to do that on my laptop on numerous occasions, so that seems pretty normal.

I am wondering if anyone has some tips on how to best manage the battery life on this thing. I am guessing turning wifi off is a good thing, but should I turn it off or would keeping it in sleep mode be okay?
Old 10-30-2011, 12:54 PM   #15
Haesslich
Fanatic

Sleep should be okay, as resuming from full off would take more power than sleep would.

And the freeze appears to be WiFi related - turning off WiFi meant it could sit in the charger, but I left WiFi on last night, and....