Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 11-12-2010, 08:51 AM   #61
borisb
Edge User

Welcome to the forums, Bee Yes, you won't be cut down here if you're non-technical, rest assured.

A most interesting post that gives me a lot of insight into the recent HSN sales. I'm glad you persevered with your Pocket eDGe, and people around here will be more than happy to answer the smallest question you might have about using it

Old 11-12-2010, 10:00 AM   #62
jsfiller
Edge User

I appreciate your review. I too heard about all the negative reviews, so I went to HSN to find out what the problems were, and the product was gone. So I particularly appreciated your review of the complaints.

Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 10:10 AM   #63
Dr. T
Edge User

I echo what Boris and jsfiller said. I, too, am not as technologically savvy as I would like to be, but I have found the forum very inviting and helpful. They even tolerate and patiently answer my dumb questions!

Old 11-12-2010, 02:34 PM   #64
Bee
Edge User

Well, Boris, js, and Dr. T, thanks for the warm welcome! And I'm glad that my assessment of the HSN reviewed help you all. I'd say that over 3/4's of the people didn't even turn it on or try to register the Edge; Buyer's Remorse, perhaps? Or real fear of Tech Issues? If half of the folks who returned it because of the Reader side had done a lick of research, they'd know that the Lion's Share of the e-Reader market does NOT have a lit screen! And then, of course, there were the people like me who heard about the battery issue, looked at the cost of the unit and didn't pursue the Edge beyond that, sending it back.

If what I read in this thread is true, that HSN sold over 13,000 of them, I'm sure that they pulled the product review catagory so they didn't end up with 12, 997 of them coming back to them!

I look forward to trying the Edge out, seriously, this weekend, for the two reasons why I bought it: a photo album to show clients my work and taking notes for jobs. Anything beyond that is gravy to me.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:39 PM   #65
veronica0406
Edge User

I ordered my PE from HSN on 10/27 with a ship date of 11/12. I received mine on November 4th. I do really love this little device so far. I have my favorite music and all my books loaded. Most of my library was purchased from Amazon Kindle, so am very relieved that that the Kindle app works great! I am not impressed at all with the battery life, (3.0 hours for me on a good day), the email client or the calender client. I would love to see smoother integration of Google calender...unless I am missing something?" Live mail is not working at all, although I have not had much time to trouble shoot that.

It is a very responsive little device, and my wifi connection is nice and fast. Am thinking of ordering a USB modem from Sprint for when I am out. Would that work?

My only other complaint is the very limited book and app selection here.

Have a great weekend!

Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 03:50 PM   #66
Dr. T
Edge User

Hi Bee- I'm glad that you're pleased with your purchase. Just let the Forum know of any problems, and people will try to help you out.

Hey Veronica- Thanks for your input. There are some ways to improve battery life. You could try shutting of the wireless and bluetooth, as well as turning off the LCD screen quickly. From what I've seen with my large eDGe, the LCD and wireless are the biggest power sucks. You can put a power widget on the home screen which will allow you to turn things on and off (or just dim the LCD) side to improve battery life, too. I really find that widget helpful.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:21 PM   #67
veronica0406
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. T View Post
Hi Bee- I'm glad that you're pleased with your purchase. Just let the Forum know of any problems, and people will try to help you out.

Hey Veronica- Thanks for your input. There are some ways to improve battery life. You could try shutting of the wireless and bluetooth, as well as turning off the LCD screen quickly. From what I've seen with my large eDGe, the LCD and wireless are the biggest power sucks. You can put a power widget on the home screen which will allow you to turn things on and off (or just dim the LCD) side to improve battery life, too. I really find that widget helpful.
Thank you Dr. T,

Yes, Boris did help me with these settings and it does help a little.

Veronica

Old 11-14-2010, 03:04 PM   #68
jonpen
Edge User

I also purchased the "pocket" from HSN. I sent it back and got the full size from walmart, a few extra bucks and a world of differance. I have been on it ever since.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:57 PM   #69
Dr. T
Edge User

I'm glad you're enjoying the new EE. If you have some spare time, could you compare and contrast your experience with the two devices? I know a few people (most vocally, Bee) are interested in potentially swapping their Pocket Edge for the full-blown EE.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:24 PM   #70
alefor
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by veronica0406 View Post
It is a very responsive little device, and my wifi connection is nice and fast. Am thinking of ordering a USB modem from Sprint for when I am out. Would that work?
It seems that some USB modems work with the eDGe, and others dont. I would strongly recommend you get a MiFi device instead. Since MiFi is a WiFi standard device, it will not only work seamlessly with the eDGe, but also with any other WiFi device you might have, and support up to 5 devices simultaneously. The monthly contract cost is the same, and depending on where you live, you may not need a contract. In the USA, the Virgin Mobile MiFi is $149 plus usage, which is unlimited at $40/month. I hope you find a solution that works well for you.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:42 PM   #71
borisb
Edge User

alefor is quite right. At this point the mifi devices provide just as fast a connection, but are so much more versatile as you can connect anything to them via wifi without the drivers and configuration a usb device would usually need. I finally got a mifi recently and it's terrific.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:31 AM   #72
veronica0406
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alefor View Post
It seems that some USB modems work with the eDGe, and others dont. I would strongly recommend you get a MiFi device instead. Since MiFi is a WiFi standard device, it will not only work seamlessly with the eDGe, but also with any other WiFi device you might have, and support up to 5 devices simultaneously. The monthly contract cost is the same, and depending on where you live, you may not need a contract. In the USA, the Virgin Mobile MiFi is $149 plus usage, which is unlimited at $40/month. I hope you find a solution that works well for you.
Great, thank you for letting me know this!

Old 11-15-2010, 05:23 PM   #73
goodspeech
Edge User

I ordered 2 of the pocket EEs-daughter b-day present and 1 for me. Did not have the right "look" for my daughter. Replaced with the Ipad. Comparing the 2, I have to say that for education or business the EE wins. I am an admin in education and we have played with the idea of Ipads. We chave had trouble really getting them to work practically. With the EEP, I really like that I can mount an external drive and carry or tranfer documents without needing e-mail to do so. Having a doc open on the reader side and the browser on the other is very handy for research.
tech manual is good but does not answer all questions. If the company could get the gaming on the EEP down, they could really be a force and a serious competitor in this market. This is a very serious little machine. Perhaps a look to match in future models would help as well.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:50 PM   #74
sethsgran
Edge User

I got the PE on Thursday. Set up was quick and easy. I'm loving it so far. I love that it is so compact. It will be easy to carry around with me. I still have a lot to learn. I'm not tech savvy either. It's been trial & error and checking the forums. I am having trouble being able to access my books on the reader though. Right now my books are at Barnes & Noble and Christianbook.com. Any tips or steps or direction to another thread that would help with this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:00 PM   #75
borisb
Edge User

Welcome to the forums, sethsgran! Glad to hear you're enjoying your PE.

For all you need to know about ebooks, try reading http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...p?1115-E-Books (Post #2 in particular). It includes specific instructions for how to read your B&N books on the reader side. (I take it you're aware you can also read them on the LCD side using the B&N Reader for Android application.)

Feel free to post even the tiniest question - we're glad to help