Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-14-2009, 09:03 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Strange issue with News and Kindle/mobi

I don't know if I can even explain this well, but ... I download Science Daily using the recipe in Calibre and then convert/transfer it to my Kindle2. Suddenly it is not showing up on the Kindle. If I look at the directory on the kindle it shows up under ...news/science daily/....

I tried moving the mobi file to the top level directory and it still doesn't show up. I tried downloading CNN and New Scientist and get the same results.

I was able to convert and upload a couple of epub books (convert and upload to kindle2) to the kindle without problems.

I don't know if this is some strange issue with the kindle or with Calibre ??

What the heck is going on here?

I even downgraded Calibre from 0.6.27 back to 0.6.26
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:56 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This is only with news? You are transferring to the Kindle via USB cable?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2009, 11:35 AM   #3
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
This is only with news? You are transferring to the Kindle via USB cable?
Yes, it's very weird. I can transfer the news to my Sony 505 just fine.

I'm not sure if the issue is in the Kindle2 or perhaps something to do with the receipe and/or mobi format. But as I said I did a fresh conversion of two books to mobi and transferred them to the kindle with no issues.

Update. I just tried with my laptop computer here at work using an older version of calibre - 0.6.20 and got exactly the same results. It copies the files and creates the directory but it does not show up in the book listings on the Kindle. Very weird. -- definitely looks like an issue with the Kindle2...

Last edited by kennyc; 12-14-2009 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:05 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Can somebody else with a Kindle 2 comment. It works on my Kindle 2, but then mine isn't updated with the latest firmware.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:09 PM   #5
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I have the latest Kindle firmware and I'm downloading NYTimes, USAToday and Seattle Times using 0.6.27.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2009, 12:19 PM   #6
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Can somebody else with a Kindle 2 comment. It works on my Kindle 2, but then mine isn't updated with the latest firmware.
Works fine for me. I have the latest firmware, US Kindle 2, Calibre 0.6.27 on Snow Leopard.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:24 PM   #7
kennyc

Damn! Thanks guys. Not sure what is going on here.

I think it may have lost it's time/clock, but I reset and enabled the wireless to sync that up before I started testing everything....don't think that had anything to do with it.

I'll keep digging. Any suggestions welcome.

BTW I did try a full/hard reset on the K2 as well, to no effect/no change.

Last edited by kennyc; 12-14-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:43 PM   #8
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Damn! Thanks guys. Not sure what is going on here.

I think it may have lost it's time/clock, but I reset and enabled the wireless to sync that up before I started testing everything....don't think that had anything to do with it.

I'll keep digging. Any suggestions welcome.

BTW I did try a full/hard reset on the K2 as well, to no effect/no change.
What is your default output? Mine is mobi so it worked right away... maybe it had something to do with the conversion? Also, have you tried listing things on the kindle with newest first to see if it is the top one on the list?
News is listed as blogs on the Kindle, prehaps you dont have the kindle listing everything? Maybe it is just set to books?
Old 12-14-2009, 01:04 PM   #9
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
What is your default output? Mine is mobi so it worked right away... maybe it had something to do with the conversion? Also, have you tried listing things on the kindle with newest first to see if it is the top one on the list?
News is listed as blogs on the Kindle, prehaps you dont have the kindle listing everything? Maybe it is just set to books?
Hmmm, blogs? I've never seen that. Maybe something got changed somehow in my configuration, but as I said, I did a full restart. How is that enabled or disabled? I'm not seeing it.

I've been using it this way for a couple of months to read Science Daily and a couple of other news feeds on occasion.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:11 PM   #10
kennyc

OMG, that's exactly what it was rcuadro! I feel like a total idiot!

Thanks for the help guys. Sorry about the stupidity!
Old 12-14-2009, 01:58 PM   #11
rcuadro
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
OMG, that's exactly what it was rcuadro! I feel like a total idiot!

Thanks for the help guys. Sorry about the stupidity!