Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-30-2009, 02:56 PM   #106
komugi
Zealot
komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Surface Pro 3, HTC 10, Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
If you mean PRS-600, it's shown upside-down on some diagrams (see the comment "top side"). So that's a power switch. Otherwise please clarify what you mean...
http://files.getdropbox.com/u/749647/switch.JPG

I meant this. There is a little notch there next to the ports, so I was wondering what exactly it was, it's not labeled, looks similar to a switch.
komugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:57 PM   #107
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I think Sony is on the right track with these from a marketing perspective. The 300, if priced right -- and I suspect it will be very cheap indeed -- will appeal to all of the Target customers who just want a basic reader. It's the 600 I can't figure out. Perhaps they've realized the 700 is too pricey to survive in the marketplace and have scaled back features to make it more affordable and to resolve the complaints about the screen.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2009, 02:58 PM   #108
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I hoped for 8" model....
Disappointed.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:01 PM   #109
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
In the interest of not starting bizarre web rumours...

The PDFs were created June 29, 2009. That, of course, doesn't mean much; an older file could've been re-created recently. They were created in Adobe InDesign CS4 (released Sept 2008), version 6.02, which was released in May of 2009.

The PDFs were created with software that didn't exist when the 505 and 700 were being designed. Doesn't mean it's impossible for them to have been ported from an older version and re-created, but that's a bit unlikely.

I sure didn't look THAT closely. I stand corrected again (and again, and again . . . ) I keep forgetting to use these little guys.

(Tongue-in-cheek, grain of salt, and all that.)
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:03 PM   #110
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Chances are these are real. Why would anybody spend so much time, money and effort to come up with such misinformation? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If Sony wanted to throw in a red herring, they could have leaked some photos or design sketches, there was no need to create service manuals.

The question is, why would Sony replace a popular PRS-505 with something so obviously inferior. I hope the answer proves to be that the PRS-300 is the basic reader, really really cheap, Walmart style, and the PRS-600 actually does possess more functionality and appeal than PRS-505. I expect the prices to be in the $160-200 range for PRS-300, and around $300 for PRS-600, which is essentially a PRS-700 without a front light.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2009, 03:05 PM   #111
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowplay View Post
Sorry if I'm derailing this thread a bit here. Quick question that seems appropriate for the people following this thread:

Price aside, would you prefer reading on a 5", 6" or 9.7" screen? My totally unfounded suspicion is that a 6" screen is just about right for an ebook device *except* for those who need better PDF/textbook/etc. support.
Care to move this to a separate thread?
Cause I'm interested in what folks might have to say about this.

My own take, fwiw, is that 6" feels a tad large for some stuff and is definitely too small for other uses.

Factoring in that the Hanlin and Cybook 5" are exactly the width of a paperback (a format optimized over 50 years) has me interested in holding one in my hands for an extended test.

Conversely, my experience with 10" Tablet PC tells me that 10" is great for PDFs and textbooks but less useful for fiction.

Hopefully as the business matures we'll see some experimental stuff at 7" and 8".

The odd thing about this Sony 300 is that it is physically the same size as the 600; which suggests Sony is going with the 5" screen as a cost-reduction move rather than on ergonomic grounds.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:10 PM   #112
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by komugi View Post
http://files.getdropbox.com/u/749647/switch.JPG

I meant this. There is a little notch there next to the ports, so I was wondering what exactly it was, it's not labeled, looks similar to a switch.
Possible the wrist strap connection?
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:12 PM   #113
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
I stand corrected.
Of course, boeing agrees with you. They web from 707 to 717 to 727, 737, 747, 757, 767, 777 but the higher models are newer but not always bigger. The 747 is much bigger than the 757.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:14 PM   #114
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
Chances are these are real. Why would anybody spend so much time, money and effort to come up with such misinformation? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If Sony wanted to throw in a red herring, they could have leaked some photos or design sketches, there was no need to create service manuals.
It was a FIRST thought and my answer to your question is because they can. Both Lady Blue and I weren't particularly serious. I know I am one to look more at the humorous side of things when I can. All this discussion is intriguing, but doesn't really amount to anything more than spending a few moments in Speculation Theory.

As to the statement about starting web rumors; isn't that what happens with all this speculation anyway. We'll know the true outcome when Sony makes whatever there doing public, and not a minute sooner.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:14 PM   #115
komugi
Zealot
komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Surface Pro 3, HTC 10, Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
Possible the wrist strap connection?
I just checked my PRS-700, and the place where that thing is is volume adjustment... soo, it seems like its volume adjustment (The shape is similar)
komugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:15 PM   #116
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
user deleted
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:16 PM   #117
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Of course, boeing agrees with you. They web from 707 to 717 to 727, 737, 747, 757, 767, 777 but the higher models are newer but not always bigger. The 747 is much bigger than the 757.

BOb
Actually, the Boeing 717 was originally released long after the 727, 737, 747, 757, 767, and 777.

Last edited by Donnageddon; 07-30-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:22 PM   #118
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The odd thing about this Sony 300 is that it is physically the same size as the 600; which suggests Sony is going with the 5" screen as a cost-reduction move rather than on ergonomic grounds.
Huh? The PDFs I downloaded show a 5/8" difference in both the W and H. While it doesn't sound like much, it trims a decent bit of area off the footprint.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:42 PM   #119
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
I sure didn't look THAT closely. I stand corrected again (and again, and again . . . ) I keep forgetting to use these little guys.

(Tongue-in-cheek, grain of salt, and all that.)
Can I say I'd *prefer* them to be a marketing prank, and would rather they kept making the PRS-505, and just updated the firmware for better ePub support?

I don't like the idea of a 5" reader as the simple, "lite" intro version, rather than being treated as a viable size for a full-featured ebook reader.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:44 PM   #120
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Indeed. I guess that confirms they were the real deal
I hate to mention this, but the two PDFs posted are both copyrighted materials.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote