Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-27-2009, 02:05 PM   #1
mos
Addict
mos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it is

Device: iphone 4, iPad, Nook softrooted
My personal review of the PRS700 on youtube

I don't know, if someone is interested in my review. But since here are a lot of people, that ask stuff about the 700, maybe it helps. In the one or the other direction. I tried to show him as objectiv as I could. Tried to show his display and the side light function etc. But this is my personal opinion about this gadget.

I received mine a few days ago and I think the 700 is absolutly awesome. I would not trade for anything else. Of course I never had a different reader, this is my first one and the only reader I can compare him over here in Germany is the 505. But I would never swab.

I think the 700 is the better value for the money. The video is not one of my best ones though , but I hope you will get the point.

mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:54 PM   #2
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
I was wondering where your right hand is. It's missing in action for the entire film....
hmm.......
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2009, 06:12 PM   #3
mos
Addict
mos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it is

Well, I wished I could have used it to cope with the reader Cannot handle the cam with my left hand, but cannot handle the reader pretty good with my left hand either
Bad deal!

Usualy my videos are better, but I definetly would have needed 2 right hands.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:19 AM   #4
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
What a lovely review! Thanks so much! I really like your voice and mellow style too .
I can't believe you filmed it by yourself.
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:23 AM   #5
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
I also learned a few things about my PRS-700 that I didn't know. After watching your review for the second time, I'm appreciating my Reader more .
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2009, 06:18 AM   #6
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbone View Post
What a lovely review! Thanks so much! I really like your voice and mellow style too ..
I agree. And it made me want to rush out and buy one.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:12 AM   #7
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
Liked the review and liked some of the features. I would never use any of them, but they are neat. But to be honest, even your video shows the glare problem. At times I could easily see the light glare from whatever light source you have in the room. That would irritate me to pieces. Otherwise, nice machine and nice job.
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:18 AM   #8
mos
Addict

@Thanks, glad you like my review and I even can show some new things. .

Yeah, filming it and showing it at the same time, was a littel tricky and that is why the video is so shakey. Sorry for that. Usualy my videos are better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgauth View Post
Liked the review and liked some of the features. I would never use any of them, but they are neat. But to be honest, even your video shows the glare problem. At times I could easily see the light glare from whatever light source you have in the room. That would irritate me to pieces. Otherwise, nice machine and nice job.

Believe me, every reader has glare depending on the angel and light source. I think the PRS700 has very, very few glare. I have more problem with light refelctions on a real book, or glossy magazin than on my reader.
People exaggarating about this thing.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:36 AM   #9
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
Well, I have spent quite some time at Borders with the 700 and there is no comparison between the amount of glare on the 700 compared to 505. I am speaking from my own experience with it. And yes there is glare on every reader to some degree and while I agree that books with glossy paper have glare, there is no glare, NONE, on an average everyday paperback novel. And that is what I want in the perfect reader. That reader has not arrived yet sadly, but the 700 is the furthest from that imo. The pictures in the other thread showing the comparison between the 700 and 505 clearly show this to be true.

Is there a workaround? Sure-just angle it away from the light source. But that does not change the fact there is more glare and a dimmer text as a result of the touch screen. Would I let that stop me from buying the 700 if I really wanted a touch screen-nope. Just depends on what is most important to ya. For me readability trumps all. For others it might be something else.

Oh, and none of this takes away from your review. Very nicely done and the 700 is chock full of nice features. Best around in that dept imo.

Last edited by Mrgauth; 03-28-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:05 PM   #10
ooo
Enthusiast
ooo began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
Great review, I can't wait to play around with my new reader. It's still charger. I didn't know that the covers were magnetic.
ooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:51 AM   #11
like2read
like2read began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500, Sony PRS505
Hi Mos,

nice to see some fellow Germans in here, viel Spaß im Forum! Great video review

I have posted a review comparing the Sony Reader 505 and 700 quite some time ago and have to comment on your statement below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mos View Post
Believe me, every reader has glare depending on the angel and light source. I think the PRS700 has very, very few glare. I have more problem with light refelctions on a real book, or glossy magazin than on my reader.
People exaggarating about this thing.
Believe me, I'd love to buy the Sony 700 BUT if you have ever used the Sony 505 it simply is not possible. During my last stay in Vegas I have again played with it for maybe an hour (thank you Sony Style in the Forum shops) and I have to admit I love the speed, the touchscreen, the inbuilt lighting but this all does not make up for the worse screen. The problem reminds me of Apple - have you ever compared an old matte iMac screen with one of the new shiny, glossy ones? A nightmare.

Again, i can only advise all fellow readers to simply check both devices and then make their decision. For me the 700 is a NoNo because i cannot always provide the best possible lighting conditions - it is true, if you have a lot of natural light the difference is not that big but i cannot always guarantee that.

Also, there is an obvious lack in contrast - I have only found one nice image here in the forum comparing the screens alongside, have a look

My biggest hope is that Sonys next device combines the great screen of the 505 with the new features the 700 has introduced.

lets wait and see...

Happy reading
like2read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:14 AM   #12
mos
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by like2read View Post
Hi Mos,

...Believe me, I'd love to buy the Sony 700 BUT if you have ever used the Sony 505 it simply is not possible.
Happy reading
You might be right, but since I only checked the 505 for ca. 20 minutes in a bookstore over here in Germany and the 700 is not offered here yet, I never had the chance to compare them side by side.

I was impressed by the 505 screen that time, but I missed so many functions right away that I would have never bought the 505. I need the highlighting and annotation function besides the search function. I would even loved to have the dictionary function in my 700.

I'm absolutly satisfied with the screen of my 700. I had no situation until now, where I was unable to read. If it get's to dark I just switch the side light on. It's that simple. But I only need them at night.
Luckyly now dust spots so far. I hope it will stay that way. I keep examining that ever night, when switchin on the side lights. I even loaded a totaly black picture on my reader, so that I would spot them instantly. So far, everythink is just perfect.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:22 PM   #13
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Terrific review. Showing the stylus magnetically attracted to the 700, and the several size shots ending in the thickness comparison, plus the fully fingertip usage, made me want one. (Except I'm one who is disappointed with the 505's contrast--we all have our quirky preferences.)

Thank you for the care you took in designing the review to flow so well, and for the knowledge that you had of the reader's features before you put up the review.

(I was surprised to see the Sony menu items in English and not German.)
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:44 PM   #14
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
thanks mos for the excellent review ! i also love my 700 and although i've had it for a few months now you showed me some little details i never noticed ! (like the stylus stuck on the magnetic corners ! i never thought of doing that.)

very nice video and very comprehensive review. thanks for taking the time to do it.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:02 PM   #15
mos
Addict

Thanks everybody. I'm realy glad you like my little review. I like to search for things on youtube before I buy them. Unfortunatly there was not very much information about the 700 and the reviews I could find where most of the time to fast for me. Or unfortunatly often made by people, that realy used it the first time and had no idea of it.

So I thought I try to show these things, eventhough there is a lot more to show on the reader. I forgot to cut in the different font sizes, which I think is an awesome feature and the zoom in function and, and, and......

I also wanted to show how the display and the sidelights realy look. Cause, while I was doing my research for the reader I read so many horror stories about these things and was kinda worried, since I could not try it before I ordered it.
When I got it, I thought that most of these stories are absolutly blown out of proportion.

@jj2me: The reader is not available in Germany, so there is only the English firmware. I guess if it someday will be officialy sold over here, the language pack will be available. The firmware tweak for the 505 will not work on the 700. But for me it is ok with the English menu.

Tags
prs 700, review, sony, youtube