Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 06-29-2009, 09:58 AM   #1
yingwu
Addict
yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: 1000s
Why the DR do not have many softwares?

I just notice there are many applications for the iLiad. So why the DR don't? I know the system is different, but is it difficult to port the applications from the iLiad to the DR?
yingwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:02 AM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
It's newer and more expensive, which means that there are less developers who have one. There is some work going on, but not nearly as much as with the iLiad. I think it'll just take time before a lot of people start playing with it rather than the iLiad.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2009, 10:50 AM   #3
yingwu
Addict
yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
It's newer and more expensive, which means that there are less developers who have one. There is some work going on, but not nearly as much as with the iLiad. I think it'll just take time before a lot of people start playing with it rather than the iLiad.
I see.... thanks
Old 06-29-2009, 01:47 PM   #4
olis
Zealot
olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: prs-500, Nokia N810, Irex dr1000s, Kindle3
I don't think that third party apps for the dr1000 will ever catch up.
The dr has been on the market for 9 months and we have only 4/5 apps, some of which are not even fully working. The high price is a major hindrance to potential buyers, and if the number of users remains low we might never reach a stable and active developers community.
olis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:57 PM   #5
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Keep in mind that even though the DR has been out for 9 months, the iLiad has been out for about 3 years. Comparing the two development communities at this point isn't really fair. The iLiad didn't have many third party apps at 9 months either.
Advert
Old 06-29-2009, 02:02 PM   #6
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
What kind of SW would you (all of you reading this) have ported to the DR? What should be improved on the current programs? What kind of extra functionality would you want to see in a (new?) program?

From the other messages/threads in this forum I do not get a good overview of the kinds of programs that you want on the DR. Maybe we can first gather some ideas for programs here and then do a poll. If there are any developers that have some time left to work on the DR they will know what will be appreciated most.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:15 PM   #7
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
Maybe we can first gather some ideas for programs here and then do a poll. If there are any developers that have some time left to work on the DR they will know what will be appreciated most.
Good idea.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:38 PM   #8
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Xournal is starting to work well and that would be top of my list. Especially if it could export as pdf too

By the way, thanks to all those who are developing software apps for the DR, it is much appreciated, especially the merging which is so much better that the companion software.

Howard
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:18 AM   #9
tjdean256
Zealot
tjdean256 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex dr1000s; Pocket edge
I second pthwaite's suggestion. Another utility that would be extremely useful is a search function. File names would be nice, but text would be even better. After the search function, a library manager like a citation database would be nice.

I would recommend staying as close the epaper metaphor as possible though, but that is just my opinion.

td
tjdean256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:28 AM   #10
olis
Zealot
olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: prs-500, Nokia N810, Irex dr1000s, Kindle3
I'd like to see on the dr:
1) DJVU viewer.
2) calendar, contacts, and todo.
3) algebraic scientific calculator
4) a lightweight text editor
5) fully working xournal
olis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:43 AM   #11
yingwu
Addict

I want a DJVU viewer
Old 06-30-2009, 01:03 PM   #12
tjdean256
Zealot
tjdean256 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex dr1000s; Pocket edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by olis View Post
I'd like to see on the dr:
4) a lightweight text editor
Olis,

Have you tried leafpad?

td
tjdean256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:19 PM   #13
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Havent gotten mine in yet, once I start playing around with it I'll let you know. Great thread.
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:58 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by yingwu View Post
I want a DJVU viewer
Evince would be a good one I think. You get a little more.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote