Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
Margin Problem

I'm unable to set the margin on any books I've sideloaded using Calibre. The text goes right to the edge of the screen no matter where I set it in the Glo settings. Would this be a Calibre problem or a Glo problem. I have quite a few sideloaded books, that I cannot format the margins on. The line spacing and font sizes do change properly.
Thanks
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieknits View Post
I'm unable to set the margin on any books I've sideloaded using Calibre. The text goes right to the edge of the screen no matter where I set it in the Glo settings. Would this be a Calibre problem or a Glo problem. I have quite a few sideloaded books, that I cannot format the margins on. The line spacing and font sizes do change properly.
Thanks
That's an interesting problem. I never did find a way to override the margin sliders on the Kobo ereaders. Is there a public domain ebook that shows that behaviour that you can upload here so I can take a look at it?

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Thanks
Check your calibre Preferences, specifically Prefs - Common Options - Page Setup - Margins. If you want to be able to use the Kobo sliders on calibre-converted epubs it's best to have a setting of No margin, for both Left and Right. It sounds like maybe you have yours set at 0pt which is likely to result in Kobo fixed left/right page margins which don't respond to the slider.

If you reconvert epub-epub in calibre for a particular book, be aware that calibre remembers all the conversion settings you had previously for that book so you will probably also need to double-check the margins set in Convert - Page Setup for the reconversion of that particular book.

There is also another option. If you have installed the calibre 'Modify Epub' plugin, one of its many options is Modify @page and body margin styles. Using this you can select as many epubs as you like and set all 4 page margins to match your calibre Prefs - Common Options - Page Setup - Margins in one go. It may take a long time to run if your library is large. Forewarned is forearmed

Last edited by jackie_w; 08-08-2013 at 02:07 PM. Reason: corrected duff info
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #4
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thankyou, will experiment today and report back. If that does not work, I'll look for a public domain book that has the problem and figure how to get it to you..
ps.. there are never more than 3 or 4 in my library, so it shouldn't be a problem time wise.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #5
dixieknits
Addict

This is what I 've found. Any book I put through Calibre, the margin slide will NOT work at all. I can set the margin for 15-19 pt and get a small margin which is ok..Thankyou for the help. I kept looking for a setting called opt thinking you meant opt as option and finally realized you meant 0 point.. I did find the no margin and it does nothing all to allow the slide to work.
Not being sure if my free for Kobe or Kindle books are freedomain or just free to me, I downloaded one from our library here. It is called The Golden Slipper by Anna Katherine Green. The margin sliders work perfectly if I drag and drop through Windows 7. If I put in Calibre and change the margin to "no margin" I have just that, no margins or margin slide. I'll be glad to upload back up using a different name or send to you if that is allowed.
Thanks for you help with this ... frustrating, because it's my first glitch Kobo and not real techie...
Advert
Old 08-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Maybe try the "Filter Style Information" on the "Look and feel" window?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	303
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	109118  
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This is what I 've found. Any book I put through Calibre, the margin slide will NOT work at all. I can set the margin for 15-19 pt and get a small margin which is ok..Thankyou for the help. I kept looking for a setting called opt thinking you meant opt as option and finally realized you meant 0 point.. I did find the no margin and it does nothing all to allow the slide to work.
Not being sure if my free for Kobe or Kindle books are freedomain or just free to me, I downloaded one from our library here. It is called The Golden Slipper by Anna Katherine Green. The margin sliders work perfectly if I drag and drop through Windows 7. If I put in Calibre and change the margin to "no margin" I have just that, no margins or margin slide. I'll be glad to upload back up using a different name or send to you if that is allowed.
Thanks for you help with this ... frustrating, because it's my first glitch Kobo and not real techie...
I've just downloaded and tried The Golden Slipper. It appears the calibre reconvert epub-to-epub doesn't help (I'll correct my previous post). However, the Modify Epub plugin does work very well. So this is the way forward.

Have you ever installed any of calibre's optional plugins, previously? If you don't understand the question - the answer is probably 'No' In which case I'll try to write a step-by-step on what you need to do. It's very quick & easy to do, no tech knowledge required. As usual, reading the step-by-step will take longer than actually doing the steps.

@ JohnF,
Whilst your suggestion should work, it's a bit extreme (IMHO) to cure the left/right margin slider problem, as it will obliterate all margins inside the epub which could ruin the styling of many epubs.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #8
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I downloaded the free book from ManyBooks.net and no matter how I change it, the epub always lets the slider adjust the margins. The original download specified 0 for left and right margins and I can change the margins on the reader. If I convert epub-to-epub and remove the margin references, it still lets the slider work to change the margins.

Are you using .kepub format and that format is pickier about having to remove the margin references if you want the slider to work to adjust margins?
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #9
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I downloaded the free book from ManyBooks.net and no matter how I change it, the epub always lets the slider adjust the margins. The original download specified 0 for left and right margins and I can change the margins on the reader. If I convert epub-to-epub and remove the margin references, it still lets the slider work to change the margins.
The version in the MR library has body L/R margins set at 15px. But you're quite right, on rechecking the unadulterated original I see that no changes at all were necessary to make this particular epub work with the Kobo margins slider because the Kobo is able to override the existing 15px settings. The Modify Epub plugin also deletes the 15px margins, but in this case, although harmless, is not required.

If an epub has been through a calibre-conversion it is unlikely that the Kobo slider will be able to override the L/R page margins. At the moment the only way I can see to selectively remove only those side margins which are stopping the slider working is by manually editing the epub before sending to Kobo. I'm not sure the OP wanted to get into all that, though.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #10
dixieknits
Addict

Ok, Mofidfy epub is successfully installed. I wonder why one needs a plug in to make it's settings work.. Strange. Will try..
Old 08-09-2013, 09:07 AM   #11
dixieknits
Addict

Modify epub does nothing to enable the margin slider on the Glo. Another interesting, thing, my daughter and son in law came by for dinner and the margins work fine on his Nook Simple Touch, though there is no slide only 3 to choose from..
Old 08-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #12
chromedome
Enthusiast
chromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Voyage, PW2, Kobo Glo (KK, Sony PRS600)
I don't seem to have problems with the margins or fonts on my glo. I leave "Disable font size rescaling" un-checked (which is contrary to advice I've read elsewhere ). In the "Extra CSS" tab I have "body {orphans: 0; widows: 0}"
and in the "Filter Style Information" tab I check the first three toggle boxes. "Fonts", "Margins" and "Padding".

Hope this helps, I don't know where I picked up the settings (probably the Calibre forum) but they work for me. I mostly convert Mobi's to E-Pub though, not sure whether that makes a difference.

Just for clarity, with these settings I can adjust the margins on all my side-loaded e-pubs

Last edited by chromedome; 08-10-2013 at 02:56 PM. Reason: An after-thought for clarity
chromedome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #13
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

@dixieknits,

That's the conclusion I reached in the last paragraph of post #9.

I would have thought that the reconvert option I struck out in post #3 ought to work but clearly it doesn't. Whether this is a calibre bug I don't know.

Currently the only options I can think of are, for any epub which isn't working, either:

- Manually edit the left/right margins in the css file, using Sigil or calibre Tweak ebook. This isn't difficult if you're familiar with html/css

- Use John F's suggestion. But be aware that this may cause other styling problems which are worse than the original

In either case you'd need to resend the updated epub to the Kobo afterwards.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:24 PM   #14
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Just a note on removing margins with the Modify Epub plugin: Normally if you have the left/right margins set in body then the plugin will remove/change them to match your preferred settings in Calibre. But it doesn't seem to be able to remove margins that are part of a CSS class, only directly from a body {} statement. This means it doesn't remove margins for Calibre created/converted books, because calibre uses a class for everything.

e.g. Modify Epub will work fine if the book has a statement like this in the stylesheet:
Code:
body {margin-left:5pt;margin-right:5pt}
But if it has a class in the stylesheet like this:
Code:
.calibre1 {margin-left:5pt;margin-right:5pt}
and the HTML usues it to set the margins as in:
Code:
<body class="calibre1">
then Modify Epub won't work for those margins.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #15
dixieknits
Addict

Thank ALL of you for your generous time and help.
This is a review I think of above..

1. Any book I had converted or sent to Kobo with Calibre had No Margins at all and the slider didnt' work.
2. Using the Margin Setting in Calibre at 15-17 pt. I am able to get a nice margin for what I like.
3. The KoboGlo margin slide still will not work, but I can read the book nicely.
4. Added Modify epub and still slider will not work but can make global margins.
5. I don't really understand Sigil and don't want to go much deeper.
6. Really happy with how to make a nice margin, Solution, do it and read the book.
Don't worry over slider, never really used it anyway.
7. Thanks again..This is a huge help for me. I hated no margins and I don't like Kepubs
with the strange paragraph numbering style. (why did they do that?)
Dixie ( still loving my Glo)

Tags
glo, margins