Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-18-2014, 04:02 AM   #136
Ollybeak
Ollybeak began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Thicko requires salvation...

Apologies, but I've read through much of this site but can't seem to find the answer to a really simple problem.

I want to change the dictionary on my Kobo glo.

I've downloaded Mr Chambers work (curiously billed as written by Mr Fowler).

I connected my reader to the computer (mac). I can click on the logo in a finder window and see icons for all the books - but that's about all.

Do I have to use Kobo desktop? Tried it, but it only seemed to offer synchronisation.

In particular, I'm puzzled by:

On the Kobo go to the ".kobo\dict" folder, and rename "dicthtml.zip" to "dicthtml.backup.zip". This backs up your existing English dictionary (which I assume you already have installed).

The Kobo seems to become inert as soon as it's connected to the computer. So I presume it means using the Kobo desktop thing to 'go to the .kobo\dict folder.

Er... Can't seem to do that. Can anybody point my feeble brain in the right direction?

Thanks in advance. Happy days,

Ol.
Ollybeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:51 AM   #137
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollybeak View Post
Apologies, but I've read through much of this site but can't seem to find the answer to a really simple problem.

I want to change the dictionary on my Kobo glo.

I've downloaded Mr Chambers work (curiously billed as written by Mr Fowler).

I connected my reader to the computer (mac). I can click on the logo in a finder window and see icons for all the books - but that's about all.

Do I have to use Kobo desktop? Tried it, but it only seemed to offer synchronisation.

In particular, I'm puzzled by:

On the Kobo go to the ".kobo\dict" folder, and rename "dicthtml.zip" to "dicthtml.backup.zip". This backs up your existing English dictionary (which I assume you already have installed).

The Kobo seems to become inert as soon as it's connected to the computer. So I presume it means using the Kobo desktop thing to 'go to the .kobo\dict folder.

Er... Can't seem to do that. Can anybody point my feeble brain in the right direction?

Thanks in advance. Happy days,

Ol.
You are not supposed to involve the Kobo desktop application in this. You can use the same application that you usually use in order to copy files from or to a usb storage. You can for instance use the windows (file) explorer.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2014, 11:14 PM   #138
Ollybeak
Ollybeak began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Good sir. (Madam?)

A thousand thanks. Eventuallly I borrowed a windoze machine. It seems straight transfer doesn't work on a Mac.

Cheers,

Ol.

And a PS:

Much experimenting later, I've managed to do this with a Mac. The complication seems to be that if I unzip by double-clicking on the dictionary file, I get an ordinary-looking folder. I downloaded something called 'Keka' which delivers the 'dicthtml.zip' file as promised.

Hope that helps any other Mac users who are stuck.

Last edited by Ollybeak; 07-26-2015 at 09:57 AM.
Ollybeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 03:47 PM   #139
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollybeak View Post
Good sir. (Madam?)

A thousand thanks. Eventuallly I borrowed a windoze machine. It seems straight transfer doesn't work on a Mac.

Cheers,

Ol.
It should work on a MAC. If it doesn't, then you have problems with your MAC and need to get it fixed be it hardware or OS X.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:38 AM   #140
Teom@n
Enthusiast
Teom@n began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra H2O
Is it possible to convert wiktionary dump files(xml) to kobo dict? It would be better or different dict If it is possible?

And lingoes .ld2 files? I converted to .txt.

Could you guide me if you have exp.?

Last edited by Teom@n; 12-22-2014 at 10:05 AM.
Teom@n is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2015, 10:53 AM   #141
surangama
surangama can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersurangama can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersurangama can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersurangama can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersurangama can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersurangama can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersurangama can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersurangama can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersurangama can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersurangama can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersurangama can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: none
EDIT: I answered my own question. What I tried didn't work at first because I tried to add a latin dict (la-en) and it didn't create a new icon when using the kobo, but I tried adding en-de and en-pt and they both work. so, now I have my two extra english dictionaries listed as English - de and English - pt. I'll choose another label for my latin dictionary - maybe japanese (ja) - and then I'll be able to have all three new dictionaries without sacrificing any of my old ones.

I'm using the filename suffixes that are listed here as the official Kobo dicts: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=196931

Original Post:
Hi, currently on my Kobo Glo I have six dictionaries (en, fr-en, it-en, de-en, pt-en, es-en). I'd like to add two english dictionaries and a latin-english dictionary, but I want to keep my fr-en, it-en, and es-en dictionaries, so I have to make a sacrifice somewhere, because I only have 6 slots for 7 dicts. Is there somewhere I can download other language dictionaries straight from Kobo so that I get new slots to replace with custom dictionaries?

Last edited by surangama; 02-06-2015 at 11:06 AM.
surangama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:12 AM   #142
barobach_so
Connoisseur
barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.

Device: kobo h2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
I don't know how to prevent that the dictionaries get replaced, but this is how I deal with it.
I have a directory /mnt/onboard/customdict/ that contains my custom dictionaries, and this script
Code:
#!/bin/sh
DICTPATH="/mnt/onboard/.kobo/dict/"
CUSTOMDICTPATH="/mnt/onboard/customdict/"
for f in $CUSTOMDICTPATH*.zip; do
	if [ ! -e "$DICTPATH$(basename "$f")" ]; then
		cp "$f" "$DICTPATH"
	elif [ $(stat -c%s $f) -ne $(stat -c%s $DICTPATH$(basename "$f")) ]; then
		cp "$f" "$DICTPATH"
	fi
done
Previously, I used to start this script from rcS with every power circle. Since the introduction of kobo launcher, I use this application for starting it.

I don't know a solution for this.
hi
how can I exactly use this method ?
is this the way ?
unzip koboroot.gz in windows go to etc\init.d edit rcS by notepad++ and add the code there

build a folder "customdict" on kobo and
zip it again and transfer to .kobo ?
barobach_so is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:01 AM   #143
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barobach_so View Post
is this the way ?
unzip koboroot.gz in windows go to etc\init.d edit rcS by notepad++ and add the code there
Yes, this is a possibility. I had the code in a separate sh file, and called it from rcS. But whatever you do to the rcS (take care, a mistake in this file might force you to factory reset the device), you have to copy KoboRoot.tgz (linux is case sensitive) that contains the modified etc\init.d\rcS (the other files and folders are not necessary for our purpose) to the folder .kobo of the device.

Quote:
build a folder "customdict" on kobo
Exactly, you create the folder in the root directory of the user partition.

Quote:
and
zip it again and transfer to .kobo ?
I am not sure what you mean. You copy your custom dictionaries, which are zip files, into the folder costomdict.

Since I never synchronize with the kobo server, I do not any longer need to worry about such things. But if I did, I started the script now from KSM. This is of course overkill if you are only interested in preserving your dictionaries.
You might also be interested in the posts 18, 19, and 23 of this thread.

Last edited by tshering; 02-22-2015 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:02 AM   #144
barobach_so
Connoisseur
barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.

Device: kobo h2o
Quote:
Yes, this is a possibility. I had the code in a separate sh file, and called it from rcS. But whatever you do to the rcS (take care, a mistake in this file might force you to factory reset the device), you have to copy KoboRoot.tgz (linux is case sensitive) that contains the modified etc\init.d\rcS (the other files and folders are not necessary for our purpose) to the folder .kobo of the device.

Exactly, you create the folder in the root directory of the user partition.

I am not sure what you mean. You copy your custom dictionaries, which are zip files, into the folder costomdict.
Hi
thanks for your reply
I'll test and inform here
that "zip again" refered to KoboRoot.tgz

because I unzip it and make change to one of files (rcS) so I should zip it again as a tgz file ( not originally available in windows ) by TUGzip
barobach_so is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:18 PM   #145
huuduc1kk2
Enthusiast
huuduc1kk2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo glo, LifeBook plus
Here are 2 Dict EV and VE i have convert, it have break line
English-Vietnamese:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1...a0k&authuser=1
Vietnamese-English:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1...U1E&authuser=1
huuduc1kk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 05:24 AM   #146
elstoc
elstoc taught Chuck Norris how to fight.elstoc taught Chuck Norris how to fight.elstoc taught Chuck Norris how to fight.elstoc taught Chuck Norris how to fight.elstoc taught Chuck Norris how to fight.elstoc taught Chuck Norris how to fight.elstoc taught Chuck Norris how to fight.elstoc taught Chuck Norris how to fight.elstoc taught Chuck Norris how to fight.elstoc taught Chuck Norris how to fight.elstoc taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teom@n View Post
Is it possible to convert wiktionary dump files(xml) to kobo dict? It would be better or different dict If it is possible?

And lingoes .ld2 files? I converted to .txt.

Could you guide me if you have exp.?
I believe someone has already managed to convert wiktionary to stardict format (google "wiktionary stardict"). Once you have that file you can use Penelope to convert it to Kobo.
elstoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 05:32 AM   #147
elstoc
elstoc taught Chuck Norris how to fight.elstoc taught Chuck Norris how to fight.elstoc taught Chuck Norris how to fight.elstoc taught Chuck Norris how to fight.elstoc taught Chuck Norris how to fight.elstoc taught Chuck Norris how to fight.elstoc taught Chuck Norris how to fight.elstoc taught Chuck Norris how to fight.elstoc taught Chuck Norris how to fight.elstoc taught Chuck Norris how to fight.elstoc taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Has anyone tried altering the dictionary names in the Kobo sqlite database (i.e. so that if I add one of the alternate English dictionaries I can avoid having to call it 'Francais', for example). I see there is a table there containing the dictionary names and suffixes (-en, -fr etc.) but am a bit nervous changing them in case it breaks something!
Old 05-08-2015, 06:14 AM   #148
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by elstoc View Post
Has anyone tried altering the dictionary names in the Kobo sqlite database (i.e. so that if I add one of the alternate English dictionaries I can avoid having to call it 'Francais', for example). I see there is a table there containing the dictionary names and suffixes (-en, -fr etc.) but am a bit nervous changing them in case it breaks something!
You can change the dictionary names in the database, but it seems to have no visible effect. I changed Deutsch to German, but the dictionary is still presented as Deutsch.

You can however name your new dictionary for instance dicthtml-en-en.zip. The dictionary will then be presented as English-English. You can only use the suffixes of supported languages, and you cannot use (some?) combinations with -ja.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:15 AM   #149
elstoc

Dictionary Names

Quote:
You can change the dictionary names in the database, but it seems to have no visible effect. I changed Deutsch to German, but the dictionary is still presented as Deutsch.

You can however name your new dictionary for instance dicthtml-en-en.zip. The dictionary will then be presented as English-English. You can only use the suffixes of supported languages, and you cannot use (some?) combinations with -ja.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:44 PM   #150
paul1508
paul1508 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I was looking for a bigger dictionary than these two you offer. The both seem to lose against online dictionaries like the oxford or camebridge dictionary. "unperturbed" for instance isn't in the webster dictionary. My en-de dictionary even knows it :/ Isn't there any newer larger en-en dict?
paul1508 is offline   Reply With Quote