Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-25-2010, 06:31 PM   #1
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
Question Lightweight Kindle 3 protection

There are a lot of alternative cases available for the Kindle 3. I bought an unlighted official Kindle case which I like very much. However, my wife is a long distance backpacker who is a light weight fanatic. She wants to take the K3 on her treks, but she wants a protective case that is both protective and lightweight. The unlighted Kindle case weighs 5.8 oz. and I am looking for something in maybe lightweight nylon that offers some screen protection in the 2 oz range. I would appreciate any suggestions including the weight thereof.

Thanks!!
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:27 PM   #2
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
I've heard good things about the Timbuk2 case. A bit on the pricier side for a storage case, but apparently quality. Shipping weight is 3.2oz, and shipping weight tends to include packaging so it should be pretty light. Since it's an actual storage case, it'll provide 360 protection from dust and debris.
Comes in a slightly fancier version as well.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2010, 09:01 PM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mldavis2 View Post
There are a lot of alternative cases available for the Kindle 3. I bought an unlighted official Kindle case which I like very much. However, my wife is a long distance backpacker who is a light weight fanatic. She wants to take the K3 on her treks, but she wants a protective case that is both protective and lightweight. The unlighted Kindle case weighs 5.8 oz. and I am looking for something in maybe lightweight nylon that offers some screen protection in the 2 oz range. I would appreciate any suggestions including the weight thereof.

Thanks!!
this is why I started the "cover" thread
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:04 PM   #4
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think he's looking for more of a protective travel case, which generally would not be included in the cover discussion. (not that he couldn't have still asked there)
Old 12-25-2010, 09:09 PM   #5
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
I think he's looking for more of a protective travel case, which generally would not be included in the cover discussion. (not that he couldn't have still asked there)
my intentions were "coverings of all nature" regardless of make, texture, etc. we used to have stickies which unfortunately have been removed. this is an attempt to get everything under one roof so folks can see all the possibilities without searching a bunch of threads
Advert
Old 12-25-2010, 09:13 PM   #6
OtterBooks
Wizard

A sticky for that thread would be super.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:45 PM   #7
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
A sticky for that thread would be super.
I know. I've been asking, begging, pleading...
Old 12-26-2010, 12:16 AM   #8
CyberpunkDad
Neuromancer Fanboi
CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3 / 3G
The etsy leather case I bought and posted about would fit the bill for what your looking for.
CyberpunkDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:26 AM   #9
cbb77
cbb77 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Here's an ereader case / pouch by Body glove that I picked up at Walmart. Not sure what it weighs though. Only cost me $14. Also it's a pouch, not sure if you are looking for an attached case. In any case her are some snaps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7886.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	63563   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7887.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	63564  
cbb77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:05 PM   #10
eretniw
eretniw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
lightweight hard case Kindle protection

was just looking for case to protect kindle during extended backpacking trip, and wanted a hard, lightweight case...going to try this one from Thule:

TEKS-101

http://www.amazon.com/Thule-Kindle-S...pr_product_top
eretniw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:35 PM   #11
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool recomendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mldavis2 View Post

Thanks!!
i use this one and have added a plastic insert to protect the screen (i made it out of one side of a cd/dvd case).
--
Alan

Last edited by alansplace; 04-26-2011 at 10:01 PM. Reason: to make a correrction
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:44 AM   #12
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
I just got a cheap neoprene pouch off of Amazon, very lightweight.
Tome Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote