Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-06-2010, 02:41 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
McGraw-Hill digital textbooks coming to the Entourage Edge

from the press release:
Quote:
McGraw-Hill Education today announced a strategic alliance with enTourage Systems, Inc., to deliver McGraw-Hill's higher educational content to the enTourage eDGe(TM), a revolutionary interactive dualbook(TM) that combines the features of an e-book reader, notepad and tablet netbook in one device. Students purchasing McGraw-Hill titles for the enTourage eDGe will not only be able to read the text but take and share notes online, search for phrases in the text, listen to accompanying audio and view images and video in full color.

It's not clearly stated, but it sound like the McGraw-Hill textbooks in the Edge store will be the ones created for McGraw-Hill Connect. I've discussed my misgivings with the new format over here. I don't like that they created a new format, but if it is coming to the Edge, then this has the potential of being great news for students.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:04 PM   #2
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
A new format is definitely a step backwards. We've been moving toward a standard (ePUB), and anything that hinders that is a bad thing.

It may be that ePUB isn't flexible enough to handle complex text books (lots of pics and text and equations), but it's basically html, so some formatting would lose, but it should work.

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:13 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
A new format is definitely a step backwards. We've been moving toward a standard (ePUB), and anything that hinders that is a bad thing.

It may be that ePUB isn't flexible enough to handle complex text books (lots of pics and text and equations), but it's basically html, so some formatting would lose, but it should work.

-Pie
It's not going to be a new format. I seriously doubt that it will even be the Connect format because I don't think it's worthwhile for Entoruage to spend that much money to port and integrate another reader software.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:53 PM   #4
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
So you're saying it will be ePUB or some other universal e-Reader capable format... PDF?

-PIe
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:47 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
So you're saying it will be ePUB or some other universal e-Reader capable format... PDF?

-PIe
I have no idea what the format will be. I was speculating. TBH, my guess is it will be Epub becuase there is not technical reason why epub can't include color images and video and sound clips. I'm going to stop by tomorrow and ask.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:10 PM   #6
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
I was just checking the faqs and noticed that the edge will use Adobe's ePub Content Server:

Quote:
Can I buy books from other stores or download from my library?
If the stores are based on the Adobe Content Server platform, then you should be able to. We want to support this, but have not tested it at this time.
Major plus in my book. No word though on what version they'll support (Sony's or B&N's).
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:15 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
I was just checking the faqs and noticed that the edge will use Adobe's ePub Content Server:

Major plus in my book. No word though on what version they'll support (Sony's or B&N's).
That's not quite the correct labels for the version. The versions are Adobe Reader Mobile 9 and Adobe RM 9.1. The later version includes all of the abilities of the earlier one.

The Edge is still using RM 9.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:40 PM   #8
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
That's not quite the correct labels for the version. The versions are Adobe Reader Mobile 9 and Adobe RM 9.1. The later version includes all of the abilities of the earlier one.

The Edge is still using RM 9.
Oh, I know. I was speaking from a more practical point of view. Do you know if they plan on updating to 9.1?
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:57 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I don't know yet.