Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-06-2010, 04:34 PM   #1
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
A reader's take on ebooks.

This whole MacM-stiffing-readers kerfluffle has made me ponder a bit on what has changed for me since switching to ebooks.

Prior to changing to an ebook library, I had 28 'core' authors whose titles I would automatically purchase. There were another 30 who I have a single title sitting on my bookshelves, but that's it. And the authors were pretty much from hard SF and Fantasy genres.

Since late 2007, which is when I switched to a primarily-ebook option, I have added 377 'core' authors from whom I'll almost automatically purchase titles. (Yes, I took the time to count the authors!!! I spent nearly five hours working my way through my various ebook libraries to do so and I only counted those who I have more than two titles on hand.) These authors cover mainstream, 'chick-lit', paranormal thriller, romance, paranormal romance, dark-fantasy, suspense & thriller, mystery, paranormal mystery, steampunk (including my latest, "Steamed", a steampunk romance from Katie MacAlister that I consider a light, fun read), along with my more normal hard SF and Fantasy.

In other words, the ease of buying and maintaining my ebook library has made it far more likely I'd buy from the offerings made by the publishers each month. Ebooks have dramatically increased my reading horizons ahd made it more likely that I will give new (read: first-time and unknown) authors a try.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:32 PM   #2
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Like you, I have expanded my reading choices because of ebooks.

Another change (and one that directly benefits the publishers/authors) is that I was buying ebooks instead of used books.

Because books were getting so expensive, I was starting to buy more from the secondary market. A practive I have recently started going back to as ebook prices increase.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2010, 05:39 PM   #3
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
I'm with you both. The ease of obtaining a book made me much more likely to pick up stories I never would have read otherwise. For me, eBooks opened up the world of autobiographies, from Ben Franklin to Andre Agassi.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Thanks to the $9.99 price on the nook, I bought a new mystery novel set in Finland. It's a new hardback, so If it hadn't been available at that price, it would have sat in my wishlist forgotten for a couple of years. By that time, I would have found it remaindered for six bucks. There were several other books I bought this way, not just this past month but over the last few years. Too many, really.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:25 PM   #5
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
Thanks to the $9.99 price on the nook, I bought a new mystery novel set in Finland. It's a new hardback, so If it hadn't been available at that price, it would have sat in my wishlist forgotten for a couple of years. By that time, I would have found it remaindered for six bucks. There were several other books I bought this way, not just this past month but over the last few years. Too many, really.
Was that the one with the Finnish cop married to the American mall manager??? If so, I bought it too!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2010, 07:05 PM   #6
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Was that the one with the Finnish cop married to the American mall manager??? If so, I bought it too!

Derek
Yes, that was the one. When I think about it, many brick and mortar bookstores might not have had a copy because it's a hardback and not a huge best-seller. Thanks to ebooks, if it's available for the nook, it's available, period. Even if I decide to buy it at midnight.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:33 PM   #7
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
One of the things that has really encouraged me to step outside of my normal reading habits is the ability to get free samples. It's no risk to me. If something looks even moderately interesting, I just get a sample. I don't have to debate whether I'm apt to like it or not.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:51 PM   #8
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
+10 points for introducing me to the term "chick-lit".
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:56 PM   #9
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I can't say I'm reading broader, I already read pretty broadly, but definitely reading more and spending more money on ebooks (and a few pbooks as well).
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:02 PM   #10
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I spent more on books this last year than I have ..well, probably ever. While I did buy some paperbacks of authors that aren't available in ebook and I just couldn't wait for them to get available, it was mainly ebooks. I blame it both on my ebook reader, and joining that Yahoo group that turned out to be mostly cozy mystery authors. I now find out about more titles becoming available than I ever had information about before. But I still say, regardless of Amazon and whatever publisher, and DRM, and geographical restrictions, and some backlists not being available, that switching to ebooks was the best thing I ever did for my reading obsession, which has been lifelong.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:25 AM   #11
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Ebooks have definitely gotten me to purchase more books. I have always been a voracious reader, but ran out of space for my books. I gave away 10 boxes of books to my local library last year. Now I buy exclusively ebooks -- they don't take up any space in my house. If it doesn't come as an ebook I won't buy it. I might borrow it from the library, but that's it.

Like many others have mentioned I have also broadened my reading horizons, especially if a book is at 100% rebate at Fictionwise. I figure I'm out nothing if I don't like it anyway, since I can buy other books I do like with the rebate.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:55 AM   #12
brentk
brentk began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I read a lot more, but I'm not sure I'll ever get through just the free stuff I want to read. Really, I'd rather read most of what's available on Project Gutenberg than on Amazon. Volumes of books free and in my hand even more readable than paper copy in a matter of minutes. Ebook readers may be an evolutionary product as far as gadgets go--once you have the ipod the question is simply "what's next"--but for books, and really and hopefully civilization, they could be revolutionary. The things that few would ever read otherwise but ought to... Could we go back to being a society that reads???
brentk is offline   Reply With Quote