Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 09-11-2005, 11:39 PM   #1
gmgoncal
gmgoncal began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookwise - EB1500
Question EB1150, eBookwise, IMP files, et al

I've gone through the various posts on this site on the eBookwise reader and have learned more than on the official site or the rather tame Yahoo group. So I am sure someone has probably run into this same problem. I am an XP user and trying to convert documents (MSWord, preferably, but I am flexible) to use in my EB1150. It is brand new and running the version 4.0f6 viewer. I have tried:
eBookwise Librarian/GEB Librarian: Does a great job, even includes the images in the document. However, it does not respect the page breaks in the MS-Word document so that I have found no way to have a title page/screen, followed by a TOC page/screen, followed by the text. I know it is possible to do this as the free books that come with the devide include this. As far as I can tell internal links do not carry over from the Word document. Files are easy to transfer to the unit. Interestingly enough the files it created use a .rb extenssion, not the .imp extenssion I had read on this site is the native format for this reader.
eBook Publisher: I saw a post on this site recommending this tool. It is able to import MS-Word files, it respects page breaks, it has nice tools to review the text and it is easy to edit the raw code for formatting documents, it understand the hyperlinks that you create in Word. However, the .IMP file that it creates cannot be read by the unit. In fact I have found no way of transfering IMP files into the unit other than by copying them directly to the memory card via "My Documents."
If anyone has gone through this process and would like to comment, any thoughts would be very appreciated.
George Goncalves
gmgoncal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 10:57 AM   #2
Ret
Connoisseur
Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I've never experienced any compatibility problems with IMP files created with ebook publisher.
Did you try this when creating ebooks?:
- Build Target: grayscale Half-VGA
- On edition settings ->Build options: use NO encryption. Maybe you should also deselect "Require ISBN"

Other than that I don't see anything else preventing you from creating content for your eb1150.
Hope this helps
Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2005, 09:31 AM   #3
gmgoncal
gmgoncal began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookwise - EB1500
Encryption

Yes, that could be it. The Encrypt option is on by default and because of where those options are burried I never considered it. Thank you very much, I will give that a try.
In the interim, I was able to find a workaround solution which might work for some others who are looking to create a base file that could be then converted to a variety of formats. Using ebook Publisher you can create a .odf file which maintains all the formatting, links to graphics and internal links. That file is easily edited in ebook Publisher an you can set things like margin formatting, justification, etc. Now, while the ebookwise Librarian will not accept a .obj file, it did accept it when I changed the extenssion of the file to .htm. And voila, a file that the system liked created without much hassle. Additionally, the .html file may be usable by other editors to create books in other formats -- I am guessing.
thanks again for the response
George
gmgoncal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 10:29 AM   #4
Ret
Connoisseur
Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I'm glad you found your solution.

Yes, ODF files are easily edited. In fact, I posted some tips on this post:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=33

In that code I get rid of margins (who needs them in such a small screen)
"table.hdr {width:100%; border:none; margin-left:0pt; margin-right:0pt}"

and specify justified text
".plain {text-decoration:none; text-align:justify; font-style:none; font-weight:none; font-size:x-small; font-family:serif; color:#000000}"

regards
Ret is offline   Reply With Quote