Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 10-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #196
pepijndevos
Connoisseur
pepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kindle 4NT
Hi, I read most but not all of this thread, and I have this error:

Code:
Error rendering page 10 of djvu file blah.djvu.

** ERROR reading page 10 from blah.djvu.
Ay ideas?
pepijndevos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #197
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepijndevos View Post
Hi, I read most but not all of this thread, and I have this error:

Code:
Error rendering page 10 of djvu file blah.djvu.

** ERROR reading page 10 from blah.djvu.
Any ideas?
It's hard to tell what the problem is without more information. Can you post the DjVu file that's causing the problem? Does k2pdfopt continue to convert subsequent pages in the source document or does it stop converting at page 10? What platform are you working on and what version of k2pdfopt are you using? Are you able to view page 10 of the DjVu file with any other DjVu reader (e.g. Sumatra PDF Reader or DjView)?
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2012, 04:08 AM   #198
pepijndevos
Connoisseur
pepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Right. Well, it does continue. I'm on Mac, using the latest from your website. 1.51 or something, if I'm not mistaken. I have no other viewer installed. Probably just a corrupt file.

This is where I got the djvu file from, same old Lisp in Small Pieces I had trouble with last time

http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/6405192
Old 10-19-2012, 07:53 AM   #199
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Right. Well, it does continue. I'm on Mac, using the latest from your website. 1.51 or something, if I'm not mistaken. I have no other viewer installed. Probably just a corrupt file.
I'm going to assume it's a corrupt file unless you can demonstrate otherwise by maybe checking it with an alternate reader.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:22 AM   #200
kalehrl
kalehrl shares his or her toyskalehrl shares his or her toyskalehrl shares his or her toyskalehrl shares his or her toyskalehrl shares his or her toyskalehrl shares his or her toyskalehrl shares his or her toyskalehrl shares his or her toyskalehrl shares his or her toyskalehrl shares his or her toyskalehrl shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 4 black
Hello willus and other members of this forum.
I've recently bought my Kindle 4 black and I'm having a great time with it.
I found your great tool and converted several pdf with good results.
However, I have one pdf document which is driving me crazy.
Often page numbers end up in the middle of pages and I can't find a way to erase them.
I tried using -m option followed by 0.25,0.25,0.25,0.50 to cut more at the bottom but it didn't have a desired effect. I also tried to find an option to force pages to remain where they are in original document but it doesn't exist.
Could you have a look at it please.
Thank you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf pripreme_za_casove_projcet_1.pdf (1.41 MB, 7951 views)
kalehrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2012, 08:33 AM   #201
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalehrl View Post
Hello willus and other members of this forum.
I've recently bought my Kindle 4 black and I'm having a great time with it.
I found your great tool and converted several pdf with good results.
However, I have one pdf document which is driving me crazy.
Often page numbers end up in the middle of pages and I can't find a way to erase them.
I tried using -m option followed by 0.25,0.25,0.25,0.50 to cut more at the bottom but it didn't have a desired effect. I also tried to find an option to force pages to remain where they are in original document but it doesn't exist.
Could you have a look at it please.
Thank you.
You almost got it. If you use the command line, you do -mb 0.7 so that you cut off 0.7 inches at the bottom of each page, which is just enough to get rid of that pesky page number. If you use the interactive menu, you use option "m", and then type 0.25,0.25,0.25,0.7 (I should make -m on the command line work with a comma-separated list, too). Or, if you want the page numbers, use -bp (break pages) to break the destination page at the end of each source page, but k2pdfopt is still behaving strangely with your document--it leaves all of the vertical space between the page content and the page number, even when it should be compressing it. I'll look into that.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #202
kalehrl
kalehrl shares his or her toyskalehrl shares his or her toyskalehrl shares his or her toyskalehrl shares his or her toyskalehrl shares his or her toyskalehrl shares his or her toyskalehrl shares his or her toyskalehrl shares his or her toyskalehrl shares his or her toyskalehrl shares his or her toyskalehrl shares his or her toys

Thank you for your reply willus.
I actually tried higher bottom margin numbers but I thought it cropped some text besides getting rid page numbers because I didn't look carefully enough. When I examined the output pdf file again after your reply, I saw it didn't crop any text and it is OK now.
Thanks once again.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #203
pepijndevos
Connoisseur

This app makes my pdf book very readable, but there are a few small glitches.

The original book used hyphenation, but after con- version, it results in long words being split up. Sometimes this is very am- using.

At the start of a chapter, the first character spans multiple lines. This cause all the characters to the right to be copied as one block.

Similar to the above page number problem, this book lists the current chapter at the top of every page.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-46077.gif
Views:	440
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	94534   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-46079.gif
Views:	463
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	94535  
Old 10-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #204
kalehrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
You almost got it. If you use the command line, you do -mb 0.7 so that you cut off 0.7 inches at the bottom of each page, which is just enough to get rid of that pesky page number. If you use the interactive menu, you use option "m", and then type 0.25,0.25,0.25,0.7 (I should make -m on the command line work with a comma-separated list, too). Or, if you want the page numbers, use -bp (break pages) to break the destination page at the end of each source page, but k2pdfopt is still behaving strangely with your document--it leaves all of the vertical space between the page content and the page number, even when it should be compressing it. I'll look into that.
I transferred the file to my Kindle but the text is so small that I can hardly read it. I tried to magnify it using interactive 'd' option and setting 'Output/Destination pixels per inch [167]:' to 300 according to the manual, but it didn't increase the font at all. Any ways to magnify it?
Old 10-29-2012, 08:38 AM   #205
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
The original book used hyphenation, but after con- version, it results in long words being split up...
I can't tell because you didn't post the source PDF, but if the source is low quality and the hyphens are touching the letters next to them, then the hyphen-detection algorithm in k2pdfopt will not consider it a hyphen and will not remove it. I've also tweaked the algorithm for the next release. If you want to post your source, I'll test it before the next release.

Quote:
At the start of a chapter, the first character spans multiple lines. This cause all the characters to the right to be copied as one block.
I haven't tried to implement something to detect this yet. It's not trivial to reliably detect such a situation, but it could certainly be attempted. I'll put it on my list of possible future features. Theoretically there are adjustments you could make that would get k2pdfopt to detect the letter as a separate column (you'd have to set -cgr higher, close to 1, and -ch lower, probably to 0.5 or a little lower), but there may be adverse side effects (it may break the source contents into multiple columns where you don't want it to).

Quote:
Similar to the above page number problem, this book lists the current chapter at the top of every page.
You can use the -mt option (top margin ignore). E.g. -mt 0.5 will ignore the top 0.5 inches of each source page.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:46 AM   #206
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalehrl View Post
I transferred the file to my Kindle but the text is so small that I can hardly read it. I tried to magnify it using interactive 'd' option and setting 'Output/Destination pixels per inch [167]:' to 300 according to the manual, but it didn't increase the font at all. Any ways to magnify it?
Magnification isn't working because there is a box around the text of each page and k2pdfopt is fitting that box to the display width. This is a tricky doc because it really needs to be full width to be typeset correctly. If you try and erase the vertical lines of the boxes (-evl 2 or menu option 's') so that k2pdfopt can wrap the text, a lot of the formatting is lost. For now, landscape mode is probably your best option (-ls or menu option 'l'). It will turn the doc sideways on your ebook so that the text is larger.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:29 PM   #207
davr
davr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
This looks like a great tool, thanks for putting so much effort into it!

I just got a Kindle Paperwhite, which has a new higher res screen, and am trying to determine the correct width/height settings to prevent jagged text. The actual display is 1024x768 I believe, but I can't figure out the exact settings I need for -w and -h. Can you explain in more detail the method you used here: http://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/help/screensize.shtml to determine the correct values? In particular the "special custom PDF images", wondering if I could re-use them. Thanks!
davr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:52 PM   #208
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

k2pdfopt v1.60 released

K2pdfopt v1.60 is released. The major new feature is an option for native PDF output, i.e. using the exact rendering from the source file (with translation/scaling/cropping) rather than converting to bitmaps, much like soPdf and Cut2Col (imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, no?). There are several other new features as well as bug fixes. See the web site for details.

Last edited by willus; 11-02-2012 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Added links to other software
Old 11-01-2012, 10:00 PM   #209
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by davr View Post
Can you explain in more detail the method you used here: http://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/help/screensize.shtml to determine the correct values? In particular the "special custom PDF images", wondering if I could re-use them.
I created a test image of exactly a certain size (not critical what is in it--maybe a grid or something) using the Windows Paint software, embedded that image into a PDF file, sent the PDF file to my kindle, and then did a screen grab on the kindle-displayed PDF and sent that screen-grabbed bitmap back to my PC to analyze it. Once the original bitmap that I created with Paint exactly matched the screen-grabbed bitmap, I had a 1-to-1 mapping. It took some doing, as described under v1.16 of the version history. I had to put little 1-pixel marks in the corners with some padding on the right and bottom.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:29 PM   #210
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Native PDF help page

New help page for k2pdfopt v1.60 native PDF output.

Tags
ebook apps, k5 tools, kindle tools, kindle touch, tools