Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-06-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
puccaleo
puccaleo began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Nook 1st Ed or Nook Simple Touch or something else?

I am having a hard time deciding which Nook to purchase: the first one (original/wifi/first edition/first generation etc) or the new touch one.

I love the new touch because I can, well, touch the screen. It seems like it will be easier to highlight and make notes in the book with the touch screen. I don't like that there is no audio. I like that it has the e-ink pearl which looks much better than the older e-ink technology. It is smaller and more compact which I like, as well.

I love the original because I like the little color touch screen at the bottom and the fact that it can do audio. I also like that it has the games for a little break activity. I have never purchased or listened to an audio book but I like the option of being able to. However, it seems that bookmarking and highlighting the text might be more challenging.

So which is better???

Does anyone know of anything new coming out that will have e-ink pearl technology, touch screen, audio, and under $200?
puccaleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
I have both and I haven't touched the original since I got the touch. It is head and shoulders above the original, in terms of usability, simplicity and battery life. I never used the browser, games or audio player in the original, so I don't miss those features, I actually welcome that it is a no-frills reader designed to read books and nothing else.

I personally can't see a reason to go for the original over the touch, you can use your phone for audio books and games if you want to.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2011, 03:28 PM   #3
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by puccaleo View Post
I am having a hard time deciding which Nook to purchase: the first one (original/wifi/first edition/first generation etc) or the new touch one.

I love the new touch because I can, well, touch the screen. It seems like it will be easier to highlight and make notes in the book with the touch screen. I don't like that there is no audio. I like that it has the e-ink pearl which looks much better than the older e-ink technology. It is smaller and more compact which I like, as well.

I love the original because I like the little color touch screen at the bottom and the fact that it can do audio. I also like that it has the games for a little break activity. I have never purchased or listened to an audio book but I like the option of being able to. However, it seems that bookmarking and highlighting the text might be more challenging.

So which is better???

Does anyone know of anything new coming out that will have e-ink pearl technology, touch screen, audio, and under $200?

Hmmm both are really nice, I too love the nook classic and after it's V1.5 update, it bolded the text and I think it brings it to the level of the Pearl screen. It is that nice.

If bookmarking and highlighting are paramount then get the nook STR if not the original nook is starting to go pretty cheap.

But if I didn't have an ereader now, I would go with the Nook STR.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by puccaleo View Post

The only one I can think of is the Sony PRS-950 which can sometimes be found on sale at Best Buy for $200. It has a 7 inch screen. The Sony PRS-650 has all the features that you want, too, but it is harder to find and is almost never on sale. You could also check out the new Kobo touch reader; it doesn't have audio, but it is very similar to the new Nook from what I can tell, but it doesn't have physical buttons and it can read a few more formats than the Nook can, and I believe that it can read some formats (PDFs) in landscape mode as well, which you can't on the Nook, as far as I've read.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:30 PM   #5
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I have an original Nook and I will be upgrading to the touch soon. I love my Nook, but I want something smaller/lighter. Honestly, I never use the mp3 player. It doesn't bookmark for audiobooks so it is worthless to me. I use my phone anyway for audiobooks.

Bookmarking is is very fast, but highlighting or looking up a word is more time consuming. I have to admit that I will miss the colour screen. I like looking at my covers in colour.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2011, 04:53 PM   #6
puccaleo
puccaleo began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Thank you, everyone, for your awesome responses. I am happy to hear that those of you with the original didn't use the audio function frequently. It looks like the STR is the way to go!

Care... Yeah I was really excited about the book covers being in color. I guess that's a silly thing for me to want. I'll get over it.
puccaleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:38 PM   #7
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I have the original Nook and I also have a Sony 950 that I got recently, actually one day before the new Nook announcement, courtesy of the $200 Best Buy sale. If you can't find the Sony 950, it's tough to find for under $200, then I'd say get the new Nook.

Having a touchscreen is awfully nice! It definitely makes highlighting and such easier, though I've only got experience with that on my Sony.

As for audio, even though I have the capability on both the original Nook and Sony, to be honest, I only used it once on Nook to test it. I haven't even done that on the Sony yet. I don't like to listen to music while I read, and frankly, I have an mp3 player for when I do want to do music.

If you miss your book covers in color, remember, you can always get the BN app and look at your book covers in color on your computer. I did enjoy that a bit about the original Nook, but honestly, don't miss it much with my Sony. The full e-ink touchscreen really makes up for it.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote