Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-28-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Race to 1,000,000...pages read...

I am willing to bet if people here count up, just novels, many have long ago passed 1,000,000 pages. Think about it, that is just 2,500 novels that average 400-pages. So it's not that difficult a feat. Still, that is a staggering number if you step back and think about all those experiences contained on those pages.

So how many can say they have read one-million pages in their life so far? Or how close do you estimate you might be. I don't have a clue for me --- yet!!
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:50 PM   #2
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
add to that all the web pages worth of life-changing commentary in blogs and web forums like this... I think I'm at about 1 billion pages already and very close to enlightenment...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 09:51 PM   #3
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
Well, at one book a week that's about 50 years. Not too sure that books average out to 400 pages though.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:08 PM   #4
pietrocrazy
Connoisseur
pietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
add to that all the web pages worth of life-changing commentary in blogs and web forums like this... I think I'm at about 1 billion pages already and very close to enlightenment...
Out of curiosity, I did the calculations on this. Let's suppose you have been reading for 30 years (I don't know how old you are, sorry). A billion pages would be over 33 million pages a year, averaging to about 91 thousand pages a day. This would mean 228 400-pg novels a day.

On the other hand, a million pages isn't far-fetched at all, depending how old you are. I have been literate for about 20 years, so I would have needed to average about 140 pages a day to reach a million at this point. I was certainly not reading nearly that much when I was young, so I suspect I have another 5-10 years ahead of me.
pietrocrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:13 PM   #5
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
hahahaha...it just feels like a billion!! But soon you are-become-one-with-the-page just let it happen and suddenly you will be or not and is that not the question? Or is it the answer?
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 10:18 PM   #6
snipenekkid
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrocrazy View Post
Out of curiosity, I did the calculations on this. Let's suppose you have been reading for 30 years (I don't know how old you are, sorry). A billion pages would be over 33 million pages a year, averaging to about 91 thousand pages a day. This would mean 228 400-pg novels a day.

On the other hand, a million pages isn't far-fetched at all, depending how old you are. I have been literate for about 20 years, so I would have needed to average about 140 pages a day to reach a million at this point. I was certainly not reading nearly that much when I was young, so I suspect I have another 5-10 years ahead of me.
I did figure we have a number of folks well over 50 who have been reading novels since around 8-9yrs old and that was where I got the one-million page idea. I know there was a stretch of years I hardly read 20-books/yr so even after 43yrs of novel reading I have a loooong way to go but still I might reach it with the access provided to classics.

Heck just read Homer, Leo Tolstoy and Ayn Rand and you are half-way there. Toss in Peter Hamilton's Void novels should get ya the rest of the way there.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:16 AM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
What's this page you're talking about? What device size? What font-size?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:44 AM   #8
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I count pbook pages when I'm calculating how many pages I read a year (which is a better metric for me than number of books because I read anything from shortish YA to 1,000 page fantasy series installments).
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:55 PM   #9
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Ha, ha! Paradigm shift!
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:01 AM   #10
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 4, iPad, Kobo Glo 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipenekkid View Post
So how many can say they have read one-million pages in their life so far? Or how close do you estimate you might be. I don't have a clue for me --- yet!!
Probably still quite a bit off, unless re-reads count. When I was young I used to read the same 32 book series 2-3 times a year; 150-180 pages each. I could get through a once such a book in an hour or so
Soldim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:32 AM   #11
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
I think a billion pages is more than possible if you consider that a picture is worth a thousand words. But how many words is a page?

Last edited by spellbanisher; 03-02-2011 at 01:53 PM.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #12
snipenekkid
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldim View Post
Probably still quite a bit off, unless re-reads count. When I was young I used to read the same 32 book series 2-3 times a year; 150-180 pages each. I could get through a once such a book in an hour or so
sure re-reads count, you read them again, right? I know in pretty much every novel I've ever read there are almost always a couple sections I skim more than read anyway. You know when there is a section with background detail you really don't care about in any way? So if we get to count those sections no reason not to count re-reads since some might actually be NEW.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:56 PM   #13
snipenekkid
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbanisher View Post
I think a billion pages is more than possible if you consider that a picture is woth a thousand words. But how many words is a page?
just take a picture of the page.

And geeze some out there need to stop getting caught up in being too serious about the definition of a "page" I can get it from those in places where a patch of ground not covered by permafrost is considered cursed ground. Those folks just aren't right, but a page is a page is a page.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:01 PM   #14
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I just read Anna Karenina. Now onto Brothers Karamazov. That's like half a million pages right there. Or feels like it!
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:58 AM   #15
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
I've read 20,627 so far this year, I'm probably about 3/4 the way there. I've been reading novels for about 18 years, so I'd need about 56,000 pages a year, some years I've read more than others.

Last edited by Belle2Be; 03-03-2011 at 01:04 AM.
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote