Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-22-2007, 12:19 AM   #1
wpaley
wpaley began at the beginning.

Device: treo 650
Perfect Reader Booklight

At a Borders bookshop at Dulles Airport I found a small collapsable 3 led booklight called Z Light by Paperchase. It's thin clip fits easily to a Reader cover, its light covers the whole page w/o reflection and it is cheap. Suprisingly at this small (for Borders) shop they were selling Readers and assecories as well. I tracked it on Borders web site at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/193...e=UTF8&seller=. I have been trying all sorts of lights since I do most of my reading at nite in bed with my wife while she sleeps. Finally one that fits, works, is cheap, small, bright and long battery life. 2450 CR2 batteries required. Happy days!
wpaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 05:56 AM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
This is the light that I am using also. It's very good.

The only thing I would like to see is more flexibility in where to place the light because it seems like there is always a little bit of glare at the edge of the screen from the reflection of the lamps. But it's not bad at all and is good to use.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2007, 06:04 AM   #3
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
This is the light that I am using also. It's very good.

The only thing I would like to see is more flexibility in where to place the light because it seems like there is always a little bit of glare at the edge of the screen from the reflection of the lamps. But it's not bad at all and is good to use.

Did you try to clip it to the right instead of the top? Works really good for me and you can tilt the Reader without having to adjust the light.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 06:59 PM   #4
vvaann
Enthusiast
vvaann began at the beginning.

Could you make pictures of that Z-light attached to reader? That would be nice to see.
vvaann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:07 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Yeah, the link in wpayley's post doesn't have a very good picture -- Amazon is usually better about such things -- however the link in post #1 this thread is a pretty good pic.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2007, 04:21 AM   #6
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
I just got my reader and purchased a Z-light at the same time ($12.99) based on WPaley's message and can only say that I have to agree that it's quite possibly the perfect light for the Reader. It fully bathes the page in light which is bright enough to read by but not blinding, with very little spillover so it shouldn't bother my wife when she's sleeping and I'm still reading.

Thanks for the heads-up on this light!
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 02:10 AM   #7
JRAWKER
Connoisseur
JRAWKER began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Digital Paper
Is this the same light?

Z Light by IF Product (available at barnes and noble)
JRAWKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 12:05 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Sure looks like it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 02:52 PM   #9
wpaley
wpaley began at the beginning.

Device: treo 650
Close but ...

The pictured light appears to only have 1 led instead of the three on the one I found. I haven't been able to find a decent picture and am photographically challenged myself.
wpaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 05:30 PM   #10
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
@diabloNL: Just noticed this thread again. Will give it a try on the right side. Thanks for the tip!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 08:32 PM   #11
JRAWKER
Connoisseur
JRAWKER began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Digital Paper
Just picked this light up today from Borders, and you are certainly right: this light is awesome.

The only negative, as aforementioned, is the glare it produces.
JRAWKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:26 AM   #12
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
I've found that using the light at the top works just fine once I angle the head slightly down so the LEDs aren't point at the screen at an angle which produces glare. And there's still enough light at the bottom of the page to read by.

I do realize, however, that not everybody finds the same levels of light comfortable for reading, so my angle which prevents glare may make the bottom of the page too dark for some to read even as I find it provides more than enough light.

I can't use the reader on the right edge because of the sides of the bed my wife and I sleep on, and she is prone to migraines sparked by looking at a bright light source, so I don't want to run that risk.

But I do find it quite possible to avoid the glare.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:56 PM   #13
TheMadBrewer
Connoisseur
TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Aura Limited Edition, Kindle Voyager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRAWKER
Just picked this light up today from Borders, and you are certainly right: this light is awesome.

The only negative, as aforementioned, is the glare it produces.
To me, the lack of rechargeable batteries is deal killer. When I'm on a 3 week overseas trip, I don't want to have to carry (and throw away) batteries, even if they are small.
TheMadBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote