Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-21-2010, 10:54 PM   #1
hapax legomenon
Erotica Writer
hapax legomenon doesn't litterhapax legomenon doesn't litter

Device: ipad, Sony Reader PRS 505, Cybook 3
testing epubs for nook? is it quirky?

Hi, there, I'm testing some epubs for different readers/devices.

I was wondering. Is there a place where I can find a list of "nook oddities" for how it renders epubs?

Some details i'm particularly interested in :

does nook recognize css float layouts for images?

what about borders and background colors (even in grayscale).

can they read fonts if included in the epub?

Just out of curiosity, does any ebook reader or device recognize css Media Queries (a css 3 feature)?

As an editorial aside, I'm somewhat familiar with Kindle format, but recently delved into how it renders some epubs as converted by kindlegen. Really disappointed. Ok, I can live without css floats, but what about width, max-width, height, max-height? On the DTP forums, I learn that you need to specify width and height in mobipocket img element rather than the css. If true, that flabbergasts me. Hoping the nook does not have that idiotic problem....

hapax
hapax legomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:32 AM   #2
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
The Nook uses the Adobe mobile reader software. Therefore it has the same quirks as any other Adobe based reader.

Basically if it works in Adobe Digital Editions (on your PC), it should work on the Nook.

The nook supports the at least some float ability, as that is how one does drop caps.

I don't know about borders and background colours, you will need to test it out.

It supports embedded fonts (fonts included in the epub and referenced in CSS).

I have no idea what Media Queries are...
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
hapax legomenon
Erotica Writer

So if I tested the epubs in a Sony PRS-505, it would render the same (because they are both using Adobe DE)?

CSS media queries are a feature in CSS 3 that let you modify and modularize the CSS according to properties of the device.

(If device has a screen width of

http://caniuse.com/#feat=css-media
http://quirksmode.org/mobile/tableVi...l#mediaqueries

It would solve a lot of ebook layout problems for epubs. right now, it seems to be supported in desktop ebook readers, but not on mobile devices.

I'm not clear about whether ipad ebook readers support it.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:39 PM   #4
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
The Sony PRS505 has a fairly old implementation of ADE, so there may be some differences on the Nook. The old Sony does not do full justification, for example, but my Kobo does. So you maybe should break down and buy a Nook

I think those media queries get put into the .xpgt file which is specific to the ADE epub render engine, so they won't work anywhere else.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:52 AM   #5
hapax legomenon
Erotica Writer

silly me. There is a Nook for PC at the B&N site.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook...?cds2Pid=35114

but alas, this is not a true simulation, it appears.

Last edited by hapax legomenon; 10-29-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:36 PM   #6
jsimms
jsimms began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle
hapax legomenon

Did you ever find a solution to the CSS problems on the Nook? I'm having a problem with float properties now. Looks great on the iPad. Looks horrible on Nook.
jsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:11 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapax legomenon View Post
silly me. There is a Nook for PC at the B&N site.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook...?cds2Pid=35114

but alas, this is not a true simulation, it appears.
It does not use Adobe RMSDK (I don't think any Nook apps do). If it did, you'd have to authorize it with Adobe ID, and you could side-load DRM content. So it is Yet Another ePub rendering system, with its own quirks.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:31 AM   #8
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms View Post
hapax legomenon

Did you ever find a solution to the CSS problems on the Nook? I'm having a problem with float properties now. Looks great on the iPad. Looks horrible on Nook.
What CSS problems on the Nook? Compared to the iPad the Nook is a class example how to interpret CSS for ePubs...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:57 AM   #9
jsimms
jsimms began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle
Nook: Doesn't support font-variant, creates an automatic text indent, renders photos outside of that indent (unless you wrap them in a div, then it adds the right indent, pushing your photos off the screen), doesn't support any great CSS3 features like drop shadows.

I'm far more impressed with the CSS on the iPad. I'd LOVE to sell my ebooks on the Nook, but until the Nook renders my EPUBs the way they appear in Sigil , I'm only going to sell my EPUBS through the iBookstore.
jsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:42 PM   #10
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The font-variant is a fault of ADE, not of the Nook. I agree that it should be there.
The automatic indent is probably part of the default stylesheet, but it should honor if you specifically set the indent to 0.

I am not familiar with the photo's, so no comments there.

CSS3 is not in the IDPF specifications, so the Nook is totally correct in not supporting it. In fact, the iPad should not honor it, since it is not part of the specs. In fact, I think that >90% of the readers will not support it.

I suppose it is 'nice' that iPad ignores the standard... However, iBooks does not support ePub, but rather iPub...
Old 06-01-2011, 10:22 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms View Post
Nook: Doesn't support font-variant, creates an automatic text indent, renders photos outside of that indent (unless you wrap them in a div, then it adds the right indent, pushing your photos off the screen), doesn't support any great CSS3 features like drop shadows.

I'm far more impressed with the CSS on the iPad. I'd LOVE to sell my ebooks on the Nook, but until the Nook renders my EPUBs the way they appear in Sigil , I'm only going to sell my EPUBS through the iBookstore.
If you are going to be so pissy about things, I hope nobody buys your eBooks via Apple.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:28 PM   #12
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
The font-variant is a fault of ADE, not of the Nook. I agree that it should be there.
The automatic indent is probably part of the default stylesheet, but it should honor if you specifically set the indent to 0.

I am not familiar with the photo's, so no comments there.

CSS3 is not in the IDPF specifications, so the Nook is totally correct in not supporting it. In fact, the iPad should not honor it, since it is not part of the specs. In fact, I think that >90% of the readers will not support it.

I suppose it is 'nice' that iPad ignores the standard... However, iBooks does not support ePub, but rather iPub...

Toxaris:

In fact, Apple specifically calls for usage of CSS3 in its iBookstore Asset Guide, as of the June 1 edition (and previous, at least through the beginning of the year), in lieu of the ADE xpgt. FWIW. There is nothing that Apple will not ignore if it suits it to do so.

FWIW,
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:18 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Toxaris:

In fact, Apple specifically calls for usage of CSS3 in its iBookstore Asset Guide, as of the June 1 edition (and previous, at least through the beginning of the year), in lieu of the ADE xpgt. FWIW. There is nothing that Apple will not ignore if it suits it to do so.

FWIW,
Hitch
Apple has also adopted HTML5 as their standard so it is not too surprising that they want CSS3.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:02 AM   #14
Toxaris
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Apple has also adopted HTML5 as their standard so it is not too surprising that they want CSS3.

Dale
True, but basically that has nothing to do with ePub of course. For browsing and their apps, fine. But ePub does not support HTML5 and CSS3 at the moment.

It isn't that hard to support the default specs if you already have support libs for HTML5 and CSS3. It is just that they don't want it.

You already see it in the discussions here. People blame the Nook, Sony or the format when they should blame Apple and/or iBooks when things do not work.