Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-04-2011, 03:00 AM   #1
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Library Ebook Lending Under Attack

http://newsbreaks.infotoday.com/Spot...tack-74715.asp

"Josh Marwell, president of sales for HarperCollins, posted “an Open Letter to Librarians” in which he stated that the previous ebook policy would “undermine the emerging ebook eco-system, hurt the growing ebook channel, place additional pressure on physical bookstores, and in the end lead to a decrease in book sales and royalties paid to authors. We are looking to balance the mission and needs of libraries and their patrons with those of authors and booksellers, so that the library channel can thrive alongside the growing ebook retail channel.”"

Garbage thoughts of course, ebook reads will grow no matter what restraints the publishers place upon them.

Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:09 AM   #2
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Uhh didn't the attack on libraries begin almost a month ago? We have a couple of threads on it.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2011, 06:34 AM   #3
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
yeah, this is [very] old news...

Most Recent Library/HC/ebook Thread
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:52 AM   #4
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Pretty sure Giggles posted in them as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Uhh didn't the attack on libraries begin almost a month ago? We have a couple of threads on it.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:25 AM   #5
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

lol and I'm now posting in this one as well! But what does it all mean?
Advert
Old 04-04-2011, 10:28 AM   #6
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Actually you're not just posting in this one, you started it with a repetition of things already covered... dupe thread... pointless except for boosting your posts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
lol and I'm now posting in this one as well! But what does it all mean?
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #7
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Actually you're not just posting in this one, you started it with a repetition of things already covered... dupe thread... pointless except for boosting your posts...
Spank!
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:35 PM   #8
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Talking Whoops - look out.............

When a company (especially a big company) says it's worried for the good of us, and society, and democracy, etc... it means they're worried they've spotted something that they think will cut their profits at some time in the future,

And if they mention the word "choice", then we're really in trouble - politicians use that all the time..............................

carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:16 PM   #9
Giggleton
Banned

lol, everything has already been covered, we ain't inventing the universe here people. The link is newish which is why it's posted in the news section.

Yeah that HC line was weird, how is HC supposed to know what is good for the ebook and by extension reading? Because they've published some pbooks and now want to dominate in the ebook space? We already know that the digital space has no borders and all that, why do these companies continue acting like it does?

Old 04-05-2011, 12:26 AM   #10
Zarich
Zealot
Zarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
I think libraries will need to put some restrictions on in order to keep things under control. For example. Regional check outs only. Limited copies... like one or two at most. Some e-books there are like 6 copies. I can see why publishers are worried. I never go to the library and yet with an ebook I am considering doing so. Hence I would unlikely every buy books. Usually I do now because I don't want to go the library and don't really want to read something some other person used in the bathroom.
Zarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:38 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarich View Post
Usually I do now because I don't want to go the library and don't really want to read something some other person used in the bathroom.
Pretend they didn't.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:07 AM   #12
Giggleton
Banned

Quote:
I think libraries will need to put some restrictions on in order to keep things under control. For example. Regional check outs only. Limited copies... like one or two at most. Some e-books there are like 6 copies. I can see why publishers are worried. I never go to the library and yet with an ebook I am considering doing so. Hence I would unlikely every buy books. Usually I do now because I don't want to go the library and don't really want to read something some other person used in the bathroom.
I rarely buy books myself, but I read quite a bit, do the math

I would like to set aside some monies every year for books though, and then maybe donate the money to charity or something, it all ends up in the same place right? We're all in this together and all that. At the moment I volunteer at my local library, and I get to read pretty much anything that I want, what a wonderful world we live in!!

LAUGH LAUGH LAUGH AT THOSE WHO TRY TO TELL ME WHAT TO THINK.

Your tax dollars are paying for those library books though, nothing is free.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:47 AM   #13
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
They already do; they have to purchase additional licenses in order to loan out more than 1 copy of an ebook at a time.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:55 AM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
They already do; they have to purchase additional licenses in order to loan out more than 1 copy of an ebook at a time.
In this day of tight budgets, reciprocal borrowing might go under the knife.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:41 AM   #15
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
lol, everything has already been covered, we ain't inventing the universe here people. The link is newish which is why it's posted in the news section.
That's a fair point. There's nothing really new under the sun in the world of ebook controversy. Every thread turns into the same debate anyway. May as well add some variety to the subject titles.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote