Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-01-2013, 06:29 AM   #1
Magic-Ian
Magic-Ian
Magic-Ian began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc and Hanovan
List of books

When I connect my device to calibre it stats doing a check on all books on device. This can take over an hour. This is a bit of a pain when all I wish to do is convert one or two books and upload to device. Is there any way around this please?
Magic-Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
right cilck on the device icon in calibre->configure this device->ignore most of the folders, thereby cutting down the scan time.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic-Ian View Post
When I connect my device to calibre it stats doing a check on all books on device. This can take over an hour. This is a bit of a pain when all I wish to do is convert one or two books and upload to device. Is there any way around this please?
1) Let it complete, Fully (the task wheel stops).
2) DO NOT delete the 2 files Calibre leaves on your device (these are the a)the unique device ID to calibre. b)The list of books Calibre knows were there.
Calibre performs a quicker check on known books, saving quite a bit of time.

Depending on your device, there can be a 'Read Metadata from Files on Device' option to disable.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:17 AM   #4
Magic-Ian
Magic-Ian

Thank you for the responce. I have not had a chance to try. I have just upgraded my PC and have had to do fresh installs. I now have a further problem in that I had my library backed up and after re-installation of Calibre I "added all the books. Now when I connect my reader (Kobo Arc) it starts to do a check but after 30/45 minutes Calibre closes (before finishing the check).
Old 04-14-2013, 07:20 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Thank you for the responce. I have not had a chance to try. I have just upgraded my PC and have had to do fresh installs. I now have a further problem in that I had my library backed up and after re-installation of Calibre I "added all the books. Now when I connect my reader (Kobo Arc) it starts to do a check but after 30/45 minutes Calibre closes (before finishing the check).
You should not have had to repeat the 'Add" of books. Assuming you made the backup by copying your original Calibre library folder and all its contents, then you could have copied the backed up library folder onto the new machine and then after installing Calibre when it first starts up you could simply have pointed it at the location you have put the restored library.

Quite why you should be crashing I have no idea.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:12 AM   #6
Magic-Ian
Magic-Ian

Things have now got worse. After trying several times to get Calibre to run, I did a complete re-install in the hopes that it would solve the problem. Now Calibre does not seem to recognise my reader is attached. I have a Kobo Arc, but not sure whether to connect as Kobo or Android. I have tried both but none seem to work. The Kobo is showing on the computer as a portable media device rather than an external drive. Not sure if this makes a difference.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:29 AM   #7
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
The Kobo is showing on the computer as a portable media device rather than an external drive. Not sure if this makes a difference.
If you're running XP, it does; Calibre does not support MTP devices on XP. You can use 'Connect to Folder' in that case.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:25 AM   #8
Magic-Ian
Magic-Ian

I am running windos 7. I am not able to connect to folder as the device (kobo Arc) does not show up in the drop down box. I can access it through "my computer". What seems strange is that when I first did the OS updat, Calibre DID connect to device, but it crashed every time it did a search on the device. Then I re-installed Calibre, in the hope that it would cure the problem and it is now that it does not "see" the device. I am trying to get info from the Kobo IT guys to see if I can get it to connect as an external drive rather than a portable media player.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:35 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Then I re-installed Calibre, in the hope that it would cure the problem and it is now that it does not "see" the device. I am trying to get info from the Kobo IT guys to see if I can get it to connect as an external drive rather than a portable media player.
If calibre is working fine other than this and since your tablet is a current version of Android, I would suggest you investigate the Calibre Companion app. This uses your local wifi connection to connect your tablet to calibre as a device. I use it on my Nexus 7 and couldn't be more satisfied.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:42 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I am running windos 7. I am not able to connect to folder as the device (kobo Arc) does not show up in the drop down box. I can access it through "my computer". What seems strange is that when I first did the OS updat, Calibre DID connect to device, but it crashed every time it did a search on the device. Then I re-installed Calibre, in the hope that it would cure the problem and it is now that it does not "see" the device. I am trying to get info from the Kobo IT guys to see if I can get it to connect as an external drive rather than a portable media player.
Is it possible that your Kobo got added to the MPT-Ignore list in Calibre? (Preferences:Sharing:Ignored devices)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #11
Magic-Ian
Magic-Ian

It is not in the ignore list. I will try the Android app when I get back from a trip. It has got me thinking though. I changed the Android to jellybean(?) at about the same time as I started having problems.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:35 AM   #12
Magic-Ian
Magic-Ian

Problem solved. I tried the Calibre companion and nearly gave up trying. Then today I recieved a new network hub as the one I had was allowing piggybacking due to a crossed line(?) (my providers IT words). As soon as I connected the new hub, I tried again. It worked first time and did the initial check in seconds. Thank you all for your help and concern.

Tags
calibre behavior