Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 03-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #1
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Public Domain and Copyright Renewal in Life+ 50 countries

I am hoping for clarification about copyright renewal. I came across a thread months ago, but now I can't find it again.

This is the scenario:
The AUTHOR (Mark Twain) died in 1910.
The Editor & COMMENTATOR of a posthumously-published Twain book died in 1937.
The book was PUBLISHED in 1935, and DID have copyright renewed by the estate.

Logic tells me that the original text and the editor's comments are both in public domain in life+50 and Life+70 countries, but caution tells me I should strip out the commentary and keep only the original Twain text.

If I do strip the comments, wouldn't that make the book "legal for download" in all countries?

(Apologies for public exposure of stupidity... )

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 03-06-2013 at 10:54 PM.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:00 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
As far as I know, since everyone involved died more than 70 years ago, and the book was even published more than 70 years ago, it should be public domain (including commentaries) in life+70 and life+50 countries.

But not in the US, because it was first published after 1923, and then other rules applied. (It might be public domain anyway, if some copyright renowal was not properly done.)
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2013, 09:32 PM   #3
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
I think the renewals were done properly. Online databases of renewal records show multiple listings for this book.

I guess I might as well leave the commentaries in, since nothing I do will affect the book's status for US readers.

Thank you for the feedback.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyGrumpy View Post
I guess I might as well leave the commentaries in, since nothing I do will affect the book's status for US readers.
Very true, and I agree with your reasoning.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote