Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-11-2012, 10:39 PM   #1
Williamlk
Guru
Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Smile I'm going on vacation and I need to stock up on good titles!!!

I'm leaving on vacation next week and I wanted to stock my kindle full!!!

Any and all recommendations are welcome. I will admit, I have a soft spot for my indie friends. If there is something out there in the abyss (hard to find) I will certainly give it a try if the sample looks good.

Let me know if you have anything that will blow my socks off!!! (Even if it will just blow one sock off, I'll give it a go!) I read just about every genre but I am partial to Fantasy, Sci-fi and Mystery/Suspense.
Thanks so much!
William L.K.
Williamlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:54 AM   #2
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Swarm (Star Force book 1) by BV Larson. I LOVE this series. It's not very deep in terms of characterization or plot but it's good, old fashioned space opera fun. The characters use nano-machines like glorified Lego sets to build ships and defenses; it completely brings out the kid/nerd in me.

"Earth arms marines with alien technology and builds its first battle fleet!

Kyle Riggs is snatched by an alien spacecraft sometime after midnight. The ship is testing everyone it catches and murdering the weak. The good news is that Kyle keeps passing tests and staying alive. The bad news is the aliens who sent this ship are the nicest ones out there...."

Beyond Armageddon by Anthony DeCosmo. I'm currently reading this. Again, it's a lot of fun and a mixture of every alien invasion scenario rolled into one.

"Earth is invaded by a collection of alien animals--both predators and prey--as well as extraterrestrial militias of varying technological capabilities. Governments fall; cities are overrun. The landscape grows wild, alien forces attempt to carve out zones of control, and humanity no longer sits atop the food chain.Trevor Stone finds himself alone and afraid in this chaotic new world when he meets a strange old man who grants three gifts.

First, a well-stocked estate perfect for surviving the initial invasion. Second, the ability to control the fiercest breeds of dogs. Third, access to the genetic memories of mankind.It seems he is all part of a plan; a plan that has set 'rules' to this invasion and one that blurs the line between hero and villain."

Further Beyond the Threshold by Chris Roberson. Not a very action packed novel (despite its description) but a very charming "fish out of water" travelogue SF novel.

"Humankind is spread across three thousand light years in a myriad of worlds and habitats known as the Human Entelechy. Linked by a network of wormholes with Earth at its center, it is the world Captain RJ Stone awakens to after a twelve-thousand-year cryogenic suspension.

Stone soon finds himself commanding the maiden voyage of the first spacecraft to break the light speed barrier: the FTL Further. In search of extraterrestrial intelligence, the landing party explores a distant pulsar only to be taken prisoner by the bloodthirsty Iron Mass, a religious sect exiled from the Entelechy millennia before. Now Stone and his crew must escape while they try to solve the riddle of the planet’s network of stone towers that may be proof of the intelligence they’ve come to find."

i have more indie recommendations but i'm unsure what kind of fantasy/sf you're looking for because my tastes tend to fall more towards the military SF/pulp fantasy ends of the spectrum.

Last edited by xg4bx; 08-12-2012 at 01:57 AM.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2012, 07:00 AM   #3
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Wool by Hugh Howey. The hype is well deserved. Also try Verdant Skies and it's sequel Verdant Pioneers by Steven Lyle Jordan.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:06 AM   #4
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Let me add to that The Hal SpaceJock series by Simon Haynes. Hilariously funny SciFi and best of all the first book is free.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:21 AM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
What? You don't have a backlog like everyone else?

I'll recommend my most recent fun read: "Faith" by John Love.
http://www.amazon.com/Faith-ebook/dp...aith+john+love
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2012, 08:20 AM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
For mystery/suspense, try the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child or anything by Michael Connelly, Jon Sanford or Robert Crais

Last edited by MickeyC; 08-12-2012 at 05:53 PM.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #7
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
For fun SciFi I second the Hal Spacejock series, there's a bundle of the first 4 books for $9.99 available at his website.

Turing Evolved by David Kitson is a very good Science Fiction novel about AIs and their interactions with each other and humans. It's got a nice dose of romance as well as action. Available for free at Smashwords

Peter Watts' Rifters trilogy is very good, but darker, Science Fiction.
They're free as well on his website.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:31 PM   #8
Williamlk
Guru
Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
What? You don't have a backlog like everyone else?

I'll recommend my most recent fun read: "Faith" by John Love.
http://www.amazon.com/Faith-ebook/dp...aith+john+love
I have a backlog now!
Williamlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #9
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
how about a Jules Verne omnibus? They are found right here on MR for free (the author gave away all rights and DRM)
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #10
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
The author gave away all rights and DRM? Did he do that in 1905, on his deathbed? So kind of Jules Verne, to think of us Mobilereaders!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #11
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
yeah, great guy ;-)
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, reading recommendations, william l.k., williamlk