Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-12-2012, 04:47 AM   #1
patrickyoung
patrickyoung began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Itunes producer invalid file name error

I've created an epub file using Sigil and it checked ok with no errors.

But when I try to transfer it to iTunes using producer, I get this message:

ERROR ITMS-3000: "Line 98 column 54: character content of element "file_name" invalid; must be a string matching the regular expression "[^./: ]+([.][^./: ]+)+" at XPath /package/book/assets/asset[2]/data_file/file_name"

Any idea how I can identify the invalid file name? Can I do this with Sigil? And if so, how do I go about correcting the error?
patrickyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:14 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I think you have a filename with special characters in it. It is best to avoid all kind of special character, including a space.
Rename the files you need in Sigil. Don't forget to regenerate the TOC if required.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
patrickyoung

where do I look for special characters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I think you have a filename with special characters in it. It is best to avoid all kind of special character, including a space.
Rename the files you need in Sigil. Don't forget to regenerate the TOC if required.

I've gone through the 500 page document looking for special characters and can't see any. Does the error message give any clue as to where I should be looking?

"Line 98 column 54: character content of element "file_name" invalid; must be a string matching the regular expression "[^./: ]+([.][^./: ]+)+" at XPath /package/book/assets/asset[2]/data_file/file_name"

I've opened the document in Sigil code view and line 98 doesn't have any text (its a blank line)
Old 02-12-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You must look at the filenames of the documents in the archive, not the document itself. The linenumber is totally irrelevant, since the iTunes program fails to mention the document the linenumber relates to. After all, an ePUB is a collection of documents.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
patrickyoung

When you say look in the archive, do you mean open up sigil and check the files there? I only have three images in the image folder: COVER.jpg, mithra-ad2.jpg and
your-message-ad.jpg

Is there anything there that looks like a special character or am I looking in the wrong place?
Old 02-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #6
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
I assume this epub file has more than just images in it.

Look at the file names of all the files within the epub, not just the images.

If you've got it open in Sigil then look at all the files in all the folders the book browser, one of them may be the error.

BTW, I don't seem much wrong with the image files, must be the others.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #7
patrickyoung

This is the content opf file. Is there anything in it that looks like it could be an error?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<package xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" unique-identifier="BookId" version="2.0">
<metadata xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlnspf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf">
<dc:identifier id="BookId" opf:scheme="UUID">urn:uuid:b8b0b36f-4be3-44d4-85a8-62e16129187a</dc:identifier>
<dc:title>Under the cover of darkness</dc:title>
<dc:creator opf:role="aut">Duane De Mello</dc:creator>
<dc:language>en</dc:language>
<meta content="0.4.2" name="Sigil version" />
<meta name="cover" content="COVER.jpg" />
</metadata>
<manifest>
<item href="toc.ncx" id="ncx" media-type="application/x-dtbncx+xml" />
<item href="Text/Section0001.xhtml" id="Section0001.xhtml" media-type="application/xhtml+xml" />
<item href="Images/mithra-ad2.jpg" id="mithra-ad2.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg" />
<item href="Images/your-message-ad.jpg" id="your-message-ad.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg" />
<item href="Images/COVER.jpg" id="COVER.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg" />
</manifest>
<spine toc="ncx">
<itemref idref="Section0001.xhtml" />
</spine>
</package>
Old 02-12-2012, 09:12 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
It may be that it does not like hyphens in a name. Try changing them to _ (underscore)
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:26 AM   #9
patrickyoung

Thanks for the suggestion Dale. I have changed the files names so that the content opf now looks like this:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<package xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" unique-identifier="BookId" version="2.0">
<metadata xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlnspf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf">
<dc:identifier id="BookId" opf:scheme="UUID">urn:uuid:b8b0b36f-4be3-44d4-85a8-62e16129187a</dc:identifier>
<dc:title>Under the cover of darkness</dc:title>
<dc:creator opf:role="aut">Duane De Mello</dc:creator>
<dc:language>en</dc:language>
<meta content="0.4.2" name="Sigil version" />
<meta content="COVER.jpg" name="cover" />
</metadata>
<manifest>
<item href="toc.ncx" id="ncx" media-type="application/x-dtbncx+xml" />
<item href="Text/Section0001.xhtml" id="Section0001.xhtml" media-type="application/xhtml+xml" />
<item href="Images/mithra.jpg" id="mithra.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg" />
<item href="Images/message.jpg" id="message.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg" />
<item href="Images/COVER.jpg" id="COVER.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg" />
</manifest>
<spine toc="ncx">
<itemref idref="Section0001.xhtml" />
</spine>
</package>

But I'm still getting this error message:

ERROR ITMS-3000: "Line 98 column 54: character content of element "file_name" invalid; must be a string matching the regular expression "[^./: ]+([.][^./: ]+)+" at XPath /package/book/assets/asset[2]/data_file/file_name"

Is it likely the error is somewhere else?
Old 02-13-2012, 04:25 AM   #10
Toxaris
Wizard

I assume you not only changed you opf but also the actual filenames?

It would help if iTunes would mentiontion in which file the line 98 is they complain about. Is there something in the xhtml file? A link or something?
Old 02-13-2012, 04:56 AM   #11
patrickyoung

yes changed the file names and in the opf file. I sent the book to my ipad to test it and it looked fine. I've tried to click on the xhtml file (when in book browser) but it doesn't open up.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:38 AM   #12
Toxaris
Wizard

That is strange, in Sigil you must be able to open the xhtml. It is your book after all. However, is the book in 1 xhtml file? Normally a split for each chapter is used. That is easier for the layout, maintenance and some readers have a limit of the size of the xhtml size.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:52 AM   #13
patrickyoung

Only have 1 xhtml file. Its called Section0001.xhtml. When you click it, it shows you the book as you would see it in bookview.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #14
Toxaris
Wizard

Is there a link or reference somewhere within the Section0001.xhtml, perhaps in the codeview?
Old 02-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #15
patrickyoung

In code view, here's what it says before you get to the actual novel

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<title></title>