Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-02-2011, 12:01 AM   #46
kindle3zeng
Enthusiast
kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: kindle 3wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I'm trying to bounce back and forth between the several current threads addressing the issue of getting the browser to open links that would otherwise generate the "can't open multiple windows" message, but I'm getting a little lost, both in what approach implements exactly what functionality and also in how to implement.

Would some hoopy frood be willing to summarize or point me to a FAQ or HOWTO?

Thanks!

ApK
There are a few options now:
1) patch libwebkit, that's in another thread
2) patch readability, it's basically what this thread is about

For me, I went for option 2. and there is what I did:
1) Jailbreak your kindle, and install usbnetworking
2) download my attachment in post #43
3) unzip the attachment, you'll get two files: readability_min_utf16.js and readability_min_utf16.css
4) replace the files under /usr/share/browserd/readability in your kindle with these two files. To do this, you can scp files to the destination, you can't just plugin your kindle via USB, and that's why you need to jailbreak and usbnetworking

After you've done above steps, you'll see a menu as shown in my post #43, when you press "menu" -> "Article Mode", you can choose to enter the original "Article mode" by "Readability" or to fix the links to make them open in the same window by "Fix Targets".

The advantage with this method is that it's pretty safe, only a few lines of javascript code addition. The disadvantage is that you have an additional layer of menu, which means more key presses and mouse movements, and that's is not a nice experience on kindle. And these fixed targets do not remain to be fixed after you reload the page, as pointed out by liuto.
kindle3zeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:15 PM   #47
jeanph01
jeanph01 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
does kindle javascript engine support web workers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindle3zeng View Post
There are a few options now:
1) patch libwebkit, that's in another thread
2) patch readability, it's basically what this thread is about

3) unzip the attachment, you'll get two files: readability_min_utf16.js and readability_min_utf16.css
4) replace the files under /usr/share/browserd/readability in your kindle with these two files. To do this, you can scp files to the destination, you can't just plugin your kindle via USB, and that's why you need to jailbreak and usbnetworking

After you've done above steps, you'll see a menu as shown in my post #43, when you press "menu" -> "Article Mode", you can choose to enter the original "Article mode" by "Readability" or to fix the links to make them open in the same window by "Fix Targets".

The advantage with this method is that it's pretty safe, only a few lines of javascript code addition. The disadvantage is that you have an additional layer of menu, which means more key presses and mouse movements, and that's is not a nice experience on kindle. And these fixed targets do not remain to be fixed after you reload the page, as pointed out by liuto.
for the liuto problem maybe with a js web worker in the background when could launch a body.load event after each reload ?... just thinking about the possibiliy of fixing the kindle javascript engine could offer...
jeanph01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:45 AM   #48
ahecht
ahecht began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindle3zeng View Post
For those of us that don't want to risk installing usbnetworking, is it possible to install this through a launchpad script?
ahecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:43 PM   #49
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahecht View Post
For those of us that don't want to risk installing usbnetworking, is it possible to install this through a launchpad script?
I too would like a solution to the browser issue that doesn't involve using the usbnetworking hack. Anyone found one?
Tanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #50
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
You could install luigi's terminal on the usb drive (I recommend myts-6), with its launchpad script. Then you get a command shell that will let you copy files from the usb drive to the root filesystem. You need to to a mntroot rw command to change the root, then do a mntroot ro to protect it. WARNING: keep track of changes to root -- "Reset to Factory Defaults" will not necessarily undo them, and you may need to undo your changes to do a kindle update.

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-08-2011 at 10:08 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:11 AM   #51
inameiname
Groupie
inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
Last month I wrote an update for readability that also fixed popup links. I've been working on better solutions between several other projects, but don't hold your breath
I am curious if your latest version of your ReadabilityMod works on firmware 3.3. I know it is over a year old now, so before I try it, I am just curious if it still works.

Also, does replacing '/usr/share/browser/readability/readability_min_utf16.css' and '/usr/share/browser/readability/readability_min_utf16.js' as mentioned above do the same thing as the ReadabiltyMod by neftaly.

...and does it work for firmware 3.3?

Last edited by inameiname; 12-22-2011 at 01:48 AM.
inameiname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:41 AM   #52
inameiname
Groupie
inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Copy these hacks without usbnetwork (or myts-6 terminal) hack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanga View Post
I too would like a solution to the browser issue that doesn't involve using the usbnetworking hack. Anyone found one?
Yes, a Launchpad script is an option. It is probably the quickest and best solution for people who do not want to install/use the USB Hack, nor want to install myts-6, open the terminal on the Kindle, and manually enter all of the commands to replace the files.

Anyway, as pointed out by thomass on this thread about merged developer keystore keys (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=152294), here is how to do it without using the USB hack:

readabilitymod.ini
Code:
[Actions]

; ReadabilityMod
R M I = !source /mnt/us/launchpad/readabilitymod_install.sh
R M U = !source /mnt/us/launchpad/readabilitymod_uninstall.sh
readabilitymod_install.sh
Code:
###### ReadabilityMod
mntroot rw
# backup the old ones if exist:
if [ -f /usr/share/browser/readability/readability_min_utf16.css ]
then
	mv /usr/share/browser/readability/readability_min_utf16.css /usr/share/browser/readability/readability_min_utf16.css.bkp
fi
if [ -f /usr/share/browser/readability/readability_min_utf16.js ]
then
	mv /usr/share/browser/readability/readability_min_utf16.js /usr/share/browser/readability/readability_min_utf16.js.bkp
fi
# copy the new ones:
if [ -f /mnt/us/launchpad/readability_min_utf16.css ]
then
	cp /mnt/us/launchpad/readability_min_utf16.css /usr/share/browser/readability/
fi
if [ -f /mnt/us/launchpad/readability_min_utf16.js ]
then
	cp /mnt/us/launchpad/readability_min_utf16.js /usr/share/browser/readability/
fi
mntroot ro
exit
readabilitymod_uninstall.sh
Code:
###### ReadabilityMod
mntroot rw
# restore the old ones:
rm /usr/share/browser/readability/readability_min_utf16.css
rm /usr/share/browser/readability/readability_min_utf16.js
mv /usr/share/browser/readability/readability_min_utf16.css.bkp /usr/share/browser/readability/readability_min_utf16.css
mv /usr/share/browser/readability/readability_min_utf16.js.bkp /usr/share/browser/readability/readability_min_utf16.js
mntroot ro
exit
So all you have to do, after putting those scripts and ini inside your launchpad folder (and the readabilitymod .css and .js files), and then refreshing Launchpad (Shift > Shift > Space), just (R > M > I) to install, and (R > M > U) to uninstall.

Finally, I do not know whether or not this works for firmware 3.3 yet. Hopefully whatever updates were done by Amazon with it, one wasn't messing with these two files.
Attached Files
File Type: zip readabilitymod_ini_and_scripts.zip (25.1 KB, 273 views)

Last edited by inameiname; 12-22-2011 at 02:18 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:58 AM   #53
danik
danik began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 3G
you can do it much easier by using mount --bind (then you won't need do go to rw-mode, save old files etc). Something like:
Code:
mount --bind /mnt/us/launchpad/readability_min_utf16.css /usr/share/browser/readability/readability_min_utf16.css
mount --bind /mnt/us/launchpad/readability_min_utf16.js /usr/share/browser/readability/readability_min_utf16.js
and
Code:
umount /usr/share/browser/readability/readability_min_utf16.css
umount /usr/share/browser/readability/readability_min_utf16.js
danik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:55 AM   #54
inameiname
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danik View Post
you can do it much easier by using mount --bind (then you won't need do go to rw-mode, save old files etc). Something like:
Code:
mount --bind /mnt/us/launchpad/readability_min_utf16.css /usr/share/browser/readability/readability_min_utf16.css
mount --bind /mnt/us/launchpad/readability_min_utf16.js /usr/share/browser/readability/readability_min_utf16.js
and
Code:
umount /usr/share/browser/readability/readability_min_utf16.css
umount /usr/share/browser/readability/readability_min_utf16.js

Hmmm, I have never seen 'mount --bind' before. And I consider myself a fairly apt Linux man. Thank you for sharing. So it is a normal Linux command, one that, I am guessing, when mounted, the file 'takes masks the older one'? Very interesting.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:58 AM   #55
ahecht

I tried both sets of Launchpad scripts, but neither seem to work. I get a "Success!" message from launchpad, but trying to click on the "a new window" link at http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/link...y110y107y.html still produces an error message.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:01 AM   #56
inameiname
Groupie

Quote:
I tried both sets of Launchpad scripts, but neither seem to work. I get a "Success!" message from launchpad, but trying to click on the "a new window" link at http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/link...y110y107y.html still produces an error message.
Prior to when you clicked the link and it popped up an error saying you cannot open multiple windows, did you open the menu and select 'Article Mode', and then, when the new little menu pops up, choose 'Fix Targets', and then try the link? If not, that is the way to do it.

So far in my testing it seems to work. Although, I think there are a few links it doesn't work. I guess its all about testing.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #57
ahecht

Quote:
Originally Posted by inameiname View Post
Prior to when you clicked the link and it popped up an error saying you cannot open multiple windows, did you open the menu and select 'Article Mode', and then, when the new little menu pops up, choose 'Fix Targets', and then try the link? If not, that is the way to do it.

So far in my testing it seems to work. Although, I think there are a few links it doesn't work. I guess its all about testing.
Ahh, okay, that fixed it. Stupid mistake on my part -- I wasn't choosing "Fix Targets".
Old 01-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #58
inameiname
Groupie

Quote:
Ahh, okay, that fixed it. Stupid mistake on my part -- I wasn't choosing "Fix Targets".
No worries. It is annoying to have to do that EVERY TIME you want to open a link in a new window, but I guess it beats the alternative.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:26 PM   #59
jxu98
jxu98 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
A naive question

Hi
Sorry for a very naive question. I am totally new to this area (but I have near 20 year unix experiences). I like to patch the readability. I install the jailbreak, my root directory (kindle 3 3G+Wifi) contains "audible documents linkjail metadata.calibre music system". Where is my "/usr, /etc .." directories? Did I miss some basic steps?

Thanks

Jxu98
jxu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:41 PM   #60
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxu98 View Post
Hi
Sorry for a very naive question. I am totally new to this area (but I have near 20 year unix experiences). I like to patch the readability. I install the jailbreak, my root directory (kindle 3 3G+Wifi) contains "audible documents linkjail metadata.calibre music system". Where is my "/usr, /etc .." directories? Did I miss some basic steps?

Thanks

Jxu98
Hi jxu98,
Welcome to MR. To see those folders, you have to connect your Kindle to PC with usb cable in a mode called usbnetwork. Just search for it in MR ad you'll be good to go. Ask any questions though.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote