Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-23-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
duke nukem apk on fire

When the duke nuken app was $0.00, I tried to download it to my fire but was unsuccessful. I did manage to install it on my droid2 global phone. I think I should be able to get the apk from my phone and run it on my fire.

I could be all wet, of course -- being completely new to all of this.

Is there a simple way to do this? I think my objective is to get the apk from the phone's internal memory to the micro sd then use usb or dropbox or email to get the apk to the fire then open the apk with es file explorer. I'm least familiar with the getting of the apk from the phone's internal memory to the microsd card.

(I can't believe how much fun all of this is)
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:01 PM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Easy peasy. Use Astro File Manager or ES File Manager to backup the app. This will create an apk that you can drop into dropbox and transfer to your Fire, just like you intend to do.

I like Astro because it has a big "Backup Application" button on the main screen.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2011, 12:09 PM   #3
TechnoCat
Zealot
TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: Kindle Fire
Simple way? Depends on your skill level.

All you need to do is install the Android SDK, root your phone, grab the apk, and put it somewhere else.

In practice, this is roughly:
  • Download and install Android SDK
    • This installs the Android drivers...
    • And ADB, which is a command line program for accessing the Android system.
  • Download, install and run SuperOneClick
    • This is an auto-rooting program
    • And ADB, which is a command line program for accessing the Android system.
  • You can now use SuperUser mode to grab the apps. Either install RootExplorer and do it that way, or...
    • ADB shell
    • su
    • cd /system/app
    • ls (or dir) - find the actual apk name
    • (In another command prompt) ADB PULL (full dir and apk name)
  • Sideload (copy via USB, install via FileExpert or similar)

It sounds worse than it is, and it lets you grab a lot of other stuff from the market too. My phone is rooted, and I can simply use RootExplorer to grab th apks, but I usually use ADB PULL because it's pretty one-step for me; I'm accustomed to living at that command prompt.
TechnoCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:54 PM   #4
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Astro looks good, but sees this app as 'private' so I think I am out of luck. Not willing to root the phone as there are two years left on my contract

Guess I'll wait for this to hit the Amazon appstore.

thanks!
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks and I'll make these instructions a favorite on my brower but if I try to do this, I know I'd probably get stuck eventually.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert