Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-30-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Publisher font mobi/AZW3 woes

I have a new Kindle Paperwhite, and I was trying to figure out how to convert an ePub so I could view it on my Paperwhite with "Publisher Font" option enabled.

I like to use Calibre to send books to my Kindle via email, so I can then use Amazon's Manage My Kindle page to forward it to my Android phone and iPad, allowing me to keep pages in sync. This is important to me.

So I convert the ePub to mobi using Calibre 0.9.4, and I set the mobi output format to "new". I then use Calibre (and indeed Amazon's Send To Kindle Mac app) to email it, but it never appears on my Kindle, and it doesn't appear on the Manage My Kindle page.

If I use Calibre to convert the ePub to mobi and set the output format to "old", then send it, it comes through just fine, but "Publisher Font" is not an option.

If I set mobi output to "both" and send it, it comes through, "Publisher Font" IS enabled, but now the cover image is gone and the book has a "generic" cover!

If I use Calibre to convert to AZW3 instead of mobi, I can't then email the book and I can't use Calibre's Send To Device option even with the cable, as it tries to auto-convert it.

If I plonk the AZW3 in the Documents folder manually, the book shows up, Publisher Font is enabled, but again the cover is missing! Also, this way wouldn't allow me to use last page syncing.

Is there any combination I can do to get me Publisher Font, cover AND last page sync support?
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@gers1978: Yep, AZW3. You'll just have to enable it/prioritize it over mobi in the settings of the Kindle device interface plugin.

(Mobi 'new' or 'both' might do the trick, too, but (this applies to AZW3 too), you'll *have* to sideload via Calibre's send to device to get the cover. Amazon still doesn't handle KF8 files over e-mail).

To recap: embedded fonts are a KF8 only feature, but Amazon's send to kindle thingy doesn't handle KF8 files, whatever they're wrapped in. Add to that, that, to get proper covers, you need to send to device via Calibre, or convert with the 'enable sharing' setting enabled, (or, yeah, email to kindle, but in this case, not really a choice), and you're left with: send a KF8 (AZW3 or mobi both/new) via send to device.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-30-2012 at 07:27 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2012, 05:13 AM   #3
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. If I pick you up right, you're saying the only way to get covers is to convert to AZW3 with "Facebook sharing" enabled?
Old 10-31-2012, 08:44 AM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@gers1978: Not the only one, no. Without the 'sharing' option works, too, provided you're using 'Send To Device' (and a recent Calibre version). Mobi both/new instead of AZW3 probably works, too.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:41 AM   #5
gers1978
Addict

I tried again with "mobi both" and Facebook sharing turned on, no luck when emailing it - still no cover.

I tried using the AZW3 with cable/Send To Device and the cover showed. But I really want to get the email method working.
Advert
Old 10-31-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@gers1978: Amazon doesn't support sending KF8 stuff over email, so the only files it'll probably handle properly would be mobi 'old' files. (Take with a grain of salt, I don't use this service).
Old 10-31-2012, 11:59 AM   #7
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@gers1978: Amazon doesn't support sending KF8 stuff over email, so the only files it'll probably handle properly would be mobi 'old' files. (Take with a grain of salt, I don't use this service).
Interesting bug/quirk with the e-mail service:

If you create the Mobi with "both", then it has the Mobipocket and KF8 format embedded. Amazon's send-to-kindle will accept this file, but the results are inconsistent at this point.

Sometimes you get the Mobipocket version. Sometimes you get a KF8 version on devices that support it. If you get a KF8 version, then the cover won't show up on something like the Paperwhite. If you get the Mobipocket version, it will show the cover.

EDIT: Although NiLuJe is right, I've spent a couple hours trying to do this myself and it doesn't work. If you do get a KF8-enabled mobi onto your Paperwhite over e-mail, the cover doesn't show.

Last edited by Kolenka; 10-31-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Kolenka: Huh. Good to know, thanks for the detailed testing .
Old 10-31-2012, 04:11 PM   #9
gers1978
Addict

Ok, if I convert to AZW3, with Facebook Sync enabled, then run Calibre as a content server and use the Paperwhite's browser to download said AZW3, I get both the cover AND Publisher Font. The cover though, I noticed, is very small.

If I convert to mobi (new) with Facebook Sync enabled and download from content server, the cover appears (and at the correct size), but the downloaded book won't open, I get "Unable to Open Item. The selected item could not be opened. If you purchased this item from Amazon, delete the item and download it again from the Cloud on Home".

If I try it using mobi (both), I get the full size cover AND Publisher Font is enabled! Result!

What I don't know, is if I then use my iPad/Android browser to download the same book and open in the Kindle app, will I get Last Page Sync?
Old 10-31-2012, 05:18 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@gers1978: Nope, one of the side-effects of the 'Enable sharing' option is to kill the sync.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:24 PM   #11
gers1978
Addict

But sync last page works fine, even with Facebook Sync enabled, if you convert to old mobi then send via email using Amazon's Personal Docs service
Old 10-31-2012, 05:45 PM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@gers1978: True .
Old 09-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #13
nikseldon
nikseldon began at the beginning.

Sync

Is there any way to sync the document if you have added it through the content server from Calibre? This solves the cover issue but the document does not get uploaded to the cloud as far as I can tell.
nikseldon is offline   Reply With Quote